On a limb with Jose Lopez...

News, Injuries, Rosters - All baseball all the time!
GREEDY

On a limb with Jose Lopez...

Postby GREEDY » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:18 pm

I am going to go out on a limb and say:

Jose Lopez will not only win the starting job in Colorado, but he will compete with Cano and Utley for the honors of top fantasy second basemen in 2011.

Prediction: 88/26/100/.315/5 (600 at bats)

Jose will get off to a solid start in spring training in the dry desert heat, where he can feast on fastballs. Lopez is swinging no matter what... so it helps if the pitch is a straight one. My man is also a solid defender, which is nice because his competition is fairly raw.

Obviously, no one wants to hit in Safeco, and Jose will be downing silver bullets in Coors. He is also entering the prime of his career (27), and Jose should back-door his way into the two hole (I personally wouldn't know how), in a very productive Colorado lineup.

The Wigginton signing doesn't help Lopez, but I cannot imagine Tracy will be able to tolerate Ty's defense with Lopez/Herrera/Young available. Lets just hope Jose's Rocky start is not a rocky one, and he can make a return to the all-star game, and more importantly, my roster.

AdmiralTrey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: On a limb with Jose Lopez...

Postby AdmiralTrey » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:00 pm

This is the same Jose Lopez that has only hit more than 17 HR's in a season once, has never hit .300 in a season, and has to battle Wigginton AND Eric Young Jr. for playing time, right?

Sure, he might have a bounce back season, and yeah, he's had some very productive seasons in the past, as far as 2B goes, but I personally can't see him having anywhere remotely near those stats.

10 Team 6X6 H2H Dynasty Year 5
C - Wilson Ramos
1B - Freddie Freeman
2B - Gleyber Torres
3B - Nolan Arenado
SS - Trea Turner
OF - Mike Trout
OF - Ronald Acuna
OF - Yordan Alvarez
OF - Kris Bryant
UTL - Javier Baez
UTL - Adalberto Mondesi
Bench - Rhys Hoskins, Miguel Sano, Byron Buxton, Jonathan Schoop, Rowdy Tellez

SP - Gerrit Cole, Stephen Strasburg, Blake Snell, Chris Sale, Jose Berrios, Chris Paddack, Mike Soroka, German Marquez
RP - Ken Giles, Dellin Betances, Taylor Rogers, Geovanny Gallegos, Colin Poche, Corey Knebel
Pedo NA Purgatory Felipse Vazquez

Prospects:
SP: Grayson Rodriguez, Josiah Gray, Seth Corry, Franklin Perez, Ryan Weathers, Blake Walston
RP: James Karinchak
OF: Luis Robert, Alek Thomas, Jesus Sanchez, Kameron Misner, Bayron Lora
IF: Vidal Brujan, Alexander Mojica, Malcolm Nunez, Greg Jones, Gunnar Henderson
C: Sam Huff, Luis Campusano, William Contreras

Results:
2019 - 4th place. Finished regular season 20 games ahead of 2nd place but fell apart in the playoffs.
2018 - 1st place. Finished regular season 24 games ahead of 2nd place and won in the playoffs.
2017 - 2nd place. Finished regular season 5 games ahead of 2nd place but lost in the playoffs.
2016 - 1st place. Finished regular season 1.5 games behind 1st but won in the playoffs

Paper Tiger

Postby Paper Tiger » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:39 pm

If you followed the IF shuffle at Colorado last season you'd probably stay clear of all those guys. I'm very hesitant to draft any Rockies IF because they have one star and fifteen others who are generally considered situational.

GREEDY

Postby GREEDY » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:13 pm

If you followed the IF shuffle at Colorado last season you'd probably stay clear of all those guys.
Believe you me, I fully understand the #1 hurdle for Lopez will be playing time; my original post had to be the first ever take that dealt more with playing time than actual performance.

I just really have supreme confidence in a crazy aggressive player, with "doubles" power, who makes decent contact, and has a ticket aboard that annoying Safeco train taking him to freaking Coors Field!!!! Oh yea, and the guy is 2B and 3B eligible... I am not sure if there is a player in all of baseball who's fantasy value could be improved by a change of scenery more than Jose's will this season.

Anyone have any Kool-Aid, for some reason I am fresh out ;)

Paper Tiger

Postby Paper Tiger » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:29 pm

If he gets 600 AB this year (which he likely won't). I'll put him down for a 80/20/85/.275 season depending on where he bats. That's going to be a mish mash lineup on most nights and I'm not big on CarGo repeating his performance from last season. But, Lopez is 27 and has one big season already under his belt. At second I'm more willing to take the risk. At third I'm not.

jasongoum

Postby jasongoum » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:35 pm

I bought into him last year, and got burned horribly. Sadly I don't buy into your optimism on Mr. Lopez. I think he "could" do those numbers, but its highly unlikely. I'm guessing; .260/15/75 at best. But cheers on the Kool-Aid.
12 team full keeper: 7x7.
C: Sanchez
1st: Davis/ Wil Myers
2nd: Schoop
3rd: Franco
SS: Diaz
Of: Brantley
Of: Bryant
Of:
Util: Swanson
Bench: Russel, Myers or Davis
Minors: Meadows/ Is. Diaz/ Mateo/ Bader/ Cozens
DL:
P: Moore
P: Kershaw
P: Strassy
P: Urias
P: Servino
P: Wacha
P: Glasnow
P: Manea
P: Bradley
RP: Reed
RP: Cabrera
Bench: Brandon Mauer

Oregon Nut Cups

Postby Oregon Nut Cups » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:46 pm

In my league, he'll be what he is for the Rockies: a great utility bench bat due to his positional versatility. If injuries occur, he'll get more ABs; if no injuries occur he's a plug 'n' play guy. I would not put high hopes on Lopez for this year for any more than that. He'll be drafted in my league in the late rounds most likely but I wouldn't put too much value/stock in him. To be honest, with his OBP skills the way they are, I'm surprised he didn't get picked up by the Royals.
ONC
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.

Return to “Baseball - General Player Discussion”