Grey/Razzballers, which pair is better to draft?

News, Injuries, Rosters - All baseball all the time!
tululush

Grey/Razzballers, which pair is better to draft?

Postby tululush » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:08 pm

6x5 Yahoo h2h league including obp. Heading into the draft we keep 3 but after the draft keepers expand to 7. I'm starting out with Trout, Goldschmidt and Segura. Which of these two pair do you prefer along when building my team?

1. Wright and Aaron Hill

or

2. Pedroia and Gyorko
Yahoo 10 team, h2h, 6x5 (including obp), 7 keepers (Trout, Stanton, Goldshmidt, Rendon, Arenado, Scherzer, Buxton)

C - Wilson Ramos
1B - Paul Goldschmidt, Prince Fielder
2B - Anthony Rendon, Dustin Pedroia
3B - Nolan Arenado
SS - Danny Santana, Xander Bogaerts
OF - Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton, Alex Gordon, Melky Cabrera, Steven Souza

NA - Byron Buxton, Addison Ruessell

SP - Max Scherzer, Mike Fiers, Phil Hughes, Danny Salazar, Francisco Liriano, Taijuan Walker
RP - Jake McGee, Addison Reed

memmelaar

Re: Grey/Razzballers, which pair is better to draft?

Postby memmelaar » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:35 pm

Number 2 for me.

lifebass

Postby lifebass » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:00 pm

I'm leaning two as well, though drafting weaker positions early is typically not my style. Most times I boot, maybe grab one of the weaker positions and leave the rest for adp disparity picks or plain scraps (Catcher)
ESPN Roto 6x6 (BB + Holds added)

tululush

Postby tululush » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:22 pm

Interesting. Why are you guys leaning with Pedroia/Gyorko? In both scenarios I'm targeting Gyorko later so it's essentially who do you like more Pedroia or Wright. Both are injury concerns, both are about the same age but Wright seems to have a good amount more power where Pedroia only has a touch more speed.
I'm leaning two as well, though drafting weaker positions early is typically not my style. Most times I boot, maybe grab one of the weaker positions and leave the rest for adp disparity picks or plain scraps (Catcher)
Yahoo 10 team, h2h, 6x5 (including obp), 7 keepers (Trout, Stanton, Goldshmidt, Rendon, Arenado, Scherzer, Buxton)

C - Wilson Ramos
3B - Nolan Arenado

SP - Max Scherzer, Mike Fiers, Phil Hughes, Danny Salazar, Francisco Liriano, Taijuan Walker

jreason11

Postby jreason11 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:53 am

I think its because you said "or".

If Wright/Gryorko is an option I think that would probably win out, atleast for me. I too am a #2(ha!) as is.

@friendoffantasy
12 team 6 keeper.

C-
1B- Goldschmidt
2B-
3B-Machado
SS-
OF- Bautista
OF- Bruce
OF- Rios
OF- Puig
UTIL- Longoria

Bench: Pujols,

SP- Harvey, Miller, Samardzija, Cole
RP-

lifebass

Postby lifebass » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:14 am

Hmm good point, you already have legit speed with your first three picks and power drops off quick. You could definitely gamble by leaving gyorko out there another few rounds, also depends if you're aware of anyone who follows razzball. By looking at preivous years drafts I figured at least one other guy in my league follows razzball so I know I can't wait for everyone I want with ADP disparity.

3B options also rapidly disappear and at that point your only weak position holes are C & 2b which might be filled by gyorko. Straight up statistically speaking option two looks better, but taking into account the soft factors option one might be better off probabilistically speaking. It could of course backfire depending on your views about the individual players and whether or not someone will grab gyorko

lifebass

Postby lifebass » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:16 am

Wait why would you draft Hill AND gryorko?? I typically dont spend high draft picks doubling up on weak positions I already fill...

tululush

Postby tululush » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:09 pm

What if Stanton is available too? What I'm trying to figure out is if I should draft Stanton, Wright, or Pedroia with my first pick after my keepers. My concerns are if I pass on a 3rd baseman or 2nd baseman I'm possibly punting both and filling them with Gyorko and someone else.

Another option is if Beltre is available. This being a keeper makes things tough.

How would you guys rank them? Beltre, Stanton, Wright, Pedroia? All have their pros and cons and i also worry about filling in 2nd and so did 3rd if i pass on them early. In mocks after my second round pick i keep ending up with outfielders like Choo Gordon Upton...not many 2nd or 3rd basemen in the following rounds. Remember this is a 6x6 obp league and moving forward we keep 7. I currently own trout goldschmidt and segura.

C - Wilson Ramos
3B - Nolan Arenado

tululush

Postby tululush » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:31 am

Wait why would you draft Hill AND gryorko?? I typically dont spend high draft picks doubling up on weak positions I already fill...
I don't know. I think I did it to safeguard myself in the event that Gyorko flops.

C - Wilson Ramos
3B - Nolan Arenado

tululush

Postby tululush » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:42 am

Ok, I've mocked two teams. I've ended up with the exact same team with the exception of one has Wright and one has Stanton. That and the team with Wright I have Arenado on the bench. However, on the team that I drafted Stanton I have Gordon on the bench but am relying on Arenado to start at 3rd. Which team do you think is better?

Team drafted with David Wright
C- Sal Perez
1B- Goldschmidt
2B-Gyorko
SS- Segura
3B-Wright
OF- Trout, Justin Upton, Choo
Util- Hosmer, Gordon
Bn-Arenado

Team drafted with Stanton
C- Sal Perez
1B- Goldschmidt
2B-Gyorko
SS- Segura
3B-Arenado
OF- Trout, Justin Upton, Stanton
Util- Hosmer, Choo
Bn-Gordon

I've also broken down the teams using the War Room.

Wright:
R - 951 (111%)
HR - 245 (111%)
RBI - 924 (112%)
SB - 165 (94%)
Avg - .289 (106%)

Stanton:
R - 946 (111%)
HR - 259 (118%)
RBI - 920 (111%)
SB - 154 (88%)
Avg - .286 (105%)

The glaring differences are with Stanton you get ~14 more hrs but with Wright you get 11 more steals. With scarcity of power in the league now and this being a keeper league I'm tempted to lean towards Stanton.

Really interested in hearing Grey's and Razzball nation's thoughts. Thanks everyone for taking the time to read through and analyze!

C - Wilson Ramos
3B - Nolan Arenado

Return to “Baseball - General Player Discussion”