Ike Davis musings

News, Injuries, Rosters - All baseball all the time!
cockyphoenix

Ike Davis musings

Postby cockyphoenix » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:03 am

Coccidioidomycosis. A name as difficult to pronounce as to make the diagnosis. That's why they just call it "Valley Fever."

Just my two cents on the matter: this is a fungal disease that causes moldy lungs that is endemic to the SW US and parts of Mexico. Most natives or long-time residents to these areas acquire an innate resistance to the infection and either shake off exposures completely or have very mild illnesses. Immunocompromised exposures can result in very serious disease. Just google "disseminated coccidioidomycosis" on an image search. Preferably not over lunch.

With that preface, I give you this: Ike Davis went to high school in Scottsdale and college at ASU. The least invasive form of testing for the mold is a skin test, similar to the TB test you can get at any clinic. The problem with this test is, once you've had the mold, you're positive for life.

Given all that, I see two most likely assessments of Davis's illness:
1) He has Valley Fever, but his years in Arizona and young, strong state of health give him an excellent prognosis. I see no Casey Kotchman here.
2) He had Valley Fever when he was in school, got a false-positive skin test, and just had a cold or allergies or something during Spring Training. People are freaking out over nothing.

I'm going out on a limb and drafting this guy very late in most leagues, just because people are scared to death of the horror stories they've heard about him and his lungs. I don't buy it. I buy him.
OCP... RCL #1

Grey

Re: Ike Davis musings

Postby Grey » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:10 am

Hopefully he's no Kotchman...
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

Return to “Baseball - General Player Discussion”