Overrated players

News, Injuries, Rosters - All baseball all the time!
Deltron
Sponsor
Sponsor

Overrated players

Postby Deltron » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:44 pm

Anyone have players they feel are consistently overrated in your league?

Players that have yet to produce to their draft position and will again get drafted way higher than they deserve (at least in my league):
Kemp
J. Upton
B.J. Upton
Snider
Bruce

Players that strike out so much that their production is sapped. These guys will all get drafted too high in my league as well:
R. Howard
Dunn
M. Reynolds
Soriano

Sure, I'm willing to draft these players at the right spot, but they will all go 2-3 rounds ahead of where I have them.
12-teamer, H2H, points, 4 keepers.
Hitters: +1 single, +2 dbl, +3 trpl, +4 HR, +1 RBI, +1 run, +1 BB/HBP, -1 K, +2 SB, -1 CS
Pitchers: +1.5 IP, +1 K, -1 BB/HBP, +5 W, -3 L, +4 S, -2 BS, +3 CG, +10 shutout
Start one player at each position + utility, 4 SPs, 2 RPs. 8 reserves.

PollardsVision

Re: Overrated players

Postby PollardsVision » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:22 pm

Not sure how Mark Reynolds can be considered overvalued.

He's going at pick 153 (ESPN). Right in between Alvarez and Stewart (and almost 50 picks after Sandoval). You know what Alvarez and Stewart are? A pair of guys who strike out a ton, will kill your average, might one day display the kind of power that Reynolds has already displayed. They are being drafted for their potential to smack 30 HRs in a season, which they've yet to do and Reynolds does in his sleep.

I fully understand Reynolds' limitations, but I don't think he's being overvalued at all.
10 team 5x5 ROTO (OBP), 11-player keeper, C/1B/2B/3B/SS/MI/CI/IF/5OF/UTIL/8SP/3RP

C: Castro, Montero
1B: Rizzo, Adams, Lind
2B: Kinsler, Kipnis
3B: M.Cabrera, Frazier, Reynolds
SS: Alcides
OF: Stanton, Trumbo, Choo, Marte, Rasmus, Blackmon, Bradley Jr.

SP: Gio, Scherzer, Ryu, Cashner, Kuroda, Lackey, Minor, Wood, Peralta
RP: Balfour, Perkins, Nathan, Frieri, Fields

AdmiralTrey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby AdmiralTrey » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:17 am

Matt Kemp is a .285 career hitter with a 26/34 season under his belt at age 25. I'm not sure what more you could ask from a late 2nd/early 3rd round guy.

10 Team 6X6 H2H Dynasty Year 5
C - Wilson Ramos
1B - Freddie Freeman
2B - Gleyber Torres
3B - Nolan Arenado
SS - Trea Turner
OF - Mike Trout
OF - Ronald Acuna
OF - Yordan Alvarez
OF - Kris Bryant
UTL - Javier Baez
UTL - Adalberto Mondesi
Bench - Rhys Hoskins, Miguel Sano, Byron Buxton, Jonathan Schoop, Rowdy Tellez

SP - Gerrit Cole, Stephen Strasburg, Blake Snell, Chris Sale, Jose Berrios, Chris Paddack, Mike Soroka, German Marquez
RP - Ken Giles, Dellin Betances, Taylor Rogers, Geovanny Gallegos, Colin Poche, Corey Knebel
Pedo NA Purgatory Felipse Vazquez

Prospects:
SP: Grayson Rodriguez, Josiah Gray, Seth Corry, Franklin Perez, Ryan Weathers, Blake Walston
RP: James Karinchak
OF: Luis Robert, Alek Thomas, Jesus Sanchez, Kameron Misner, Bayron Lora
IF: Vidal Brujan, Alexander Mojica, Malcolm Nunez, Greg Jones, Gunnar Henderson
C: Sam Huff, Luis Campusano, William Contreras

Results:
2019 - 4th place. Finished regular season 20 games ahead of 2nd place but fell apart in the playoffs.
2018 - 1st place. Finished regular season 24 games ahead of 2nd place and won in the playoffs.
2017 - 2nd place. Finished regular season 5 games ahead of 2nd place but lost in the playoffs.
2016 - 1st place. Finished regular season 1.5 games behind 1st but won in the playoffs

Nesquick

Postby Nesquick » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:08 am

Really confused on your Matt Kemp post. Also, Howard is a fantasy stud, if hes going 2 rounds too early for you, what round do you think he should fall too.....

apoxonbothyourhouses

Postby apoxonbothyourhouses » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:34 pm

Anyone have players they feel are consistently overrated in your league?

Players that have yet to produce to their draft position and will again get drafted way higher than they deserve (at least in my league):
Kemp
J. Upton
B.J. Upton
Snider
Bruce

Players that strike out so much that their production is sapped. These guys will all get drafted too high in my league as well:
R. Howard
Dunn
M. Reynolds
Soriano

Sure, I'm willing to draft these players at the right spot, but they will all go 2-3 rounds ahead of where I have them.
you're the same guy who has Bautista as his 3B after 1, count it, 1 good year. THAT guy is overvalued by a TON. What about Latos? He of the "massive innings increase". Talk about another overvalue.

Justin Upton is only 23. 23. The guy is, outside of Cargo, the only guy capable of putting up a 40/40 year in the Majors Right now. THAT will get you drafted. Bruce is a stud who is ALSO only 25. With Votto getting all the attention, I see Bruce having a monster year. Snider? I can see it. BJ? You do know what BABIP means, right? It's LUCK. He was UNLUCKY last year. Had his BABIP been career norms, he has a top-5 OF year IN ALL OF BASEBALL last year. Kemp? Seriously?

Reynolds' ADP is LOW for what he provides. You counter him with Ichiro and you have something special.

Deltron
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Deltron » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:14 pm

you're the same guy who has Bautista as his 3B after 1, count it, 1 good year. THAT guy is overvalued by a TON. What about Latos? He of the "massive innings increase". Talk about another overvalue.

Justin Upton is only 23. 23. The guy is, outside of Cargo, the only guy capable of putting up a 40/40 year in the Majors Right now. THAT will get you drafted. Bruce is a stud who is ALSO only 25. With Votto getting all the attention, I see Bruce having a monster year. Snider? I can see it. BJ? You do know what BABIP means, right? It's LUCK. He was UNLUCKY last year. Had his BABIP been career norms, he has a top-5 OF year IN ALL OF BASEBALL last year. Kemp? Seriously?

Reynolds' ADP is LOW for what he provides. You counter him with Ichiro and you have something special.
I'm keeping Bautista as a 15th rounder (180th +) in a 12-team league. Latos as a 16th rounder (192nd +). I traded my best keepers to make a playoff run. If I were keeping either in the first 10 rounds, perhaps I would agree.

Last season, Michael Cuddyer was more productive than Ryan Howard, Daric Barton was more productive than Adam Dunn, Jonny Gomes more than Justin Upton, Podsednik more than Bruce, Andres Torres more than B.J. Upton, Bourn more than Kemp, Kouzmanoff more than Reynolds.

Kemp has never finished a season top-30 amongst batters in production. Bruce, B.J. Upton, Justin Upton never in the top-60. In 2006, Ryan Howard finished top-10 amongst batters, hasn't returned to the top-10 since and will get drafted in the top five picks.

The purpose of my post was to discuss overrated players in leagues.
12-teamer, H2H, points, 4 keepers.
Hitters: +1 single, +2 dbl, +3 trpl, +4 HR, +1 RBI, +1 run, +1 BB/HBP, -1 K, +2 SB, -1 CS
Pitchers: +1.5 IP, +1 K, -1 BB/HBP, +5 W, -3 L, +4 S, -2 BS, +3 CG, +10 shutout
Start one player at each position + utility, 4 SPs, 2 RPs. 8 reserves.

Bobrob2004

Postby Bobrob2004 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:26 pm

You're playing in a league where strikeouts negatively affect your team. Most leagues aren't set up that way. In a traditional 5x5 set up, most of your "overrated" players don't make sense.

A-Rod's Cousin

Postby A-Rod's Cousin » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:30 pm

Last season, Michael Cuddyer was more productive than Ryan Howard, Daric Barton was more productive than Adam Dunn, Jonny Gomes more than Justin Upton, Podsednik more than Bruce, Andres Torres more than B.J. Upton, Bourn more than Kemp, Kouzmanoff more than Reynolds.

Kemp has never finished a season top-30 amongst batters in production. Bruce, B.J. Upton, Justin Upton never in the top-60. In 2006, Ryan Howard finished top-10 amongst batters, hasn't returned to the top-10 since and will get drafted in the top five picks.
Not trying to get into a pissing match or anything here but not much of that is true, at least in real life. Maybe with your scoring system but if that's the case, i would try a different league this year.

Oregon Nut Cups

Postby Oregon Nut Cups » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:56 pm

Your league format perhaps tells you these things. Since I haven't done any numbers crunching, I can't say for sure but Adam Dunn outpaced Daric Barton in every statistical category you've listed except for triples (5 vs 2), SBs (7 vs 0), hits (152 vs 145) & BB (110 vs 77). Personally think the BB was an anomaly given Dunn's career arc - or could be a sign of a downward trend, who knows - but if Barton was statistically 'better' in your league last year, I'm going to say it wasn't by much.

If you like your league format and it guides you to this analysis, I say more power to you but you're not going to find many people on here that are going to agree for the plain and simple fact that it's an abnormal setup.
ONC
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.

harrisonobeid

Postby harrisonobeid » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:27 pm

Wonderful post... Fortunately, I'm keeping J. Upton for my 10th round pick, J. Bruce for my 11th round pick... and, wait for it... Andrew McStudpiece for my 15th pick.

That is an outfield.
The Chicken McStudpiece Value Meal (12 team, H2H roto: AVG, SLG, RBIs, Rs, SBs, BBs/KOs, ERA, WHIP, K/9, Ws - Ls, SVs, IPs)

C - Hank Conger
1B - Kevin Youkilis
2B - Gordon Beckham
3B - David Wright
SS - Elvis Andrus
OF - Andrew McStudpiece
OF - Justin Upton
OF - Carlos Quentin
U - Jay Bruce
SP - Jered Weaver
SP - Cole Hamels
SP - Chad Billingsley