Radar Charts for Point Shares

News, Injuries, Rosters - All baseball all the time!
Dingbat
Sponsor
Sponsor

Radar Charts for Point Shares

Postby Dingbat » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:46 am

Hi all,

I've been toying around with something that I thought might be a helpful companion tool to Rudy's point shares -- radar charts. It's pretty a pretty straightforward concept: by plotting five categories in a little star-shaped grid, radar charts provide a quick and easy way to compare different players across multiple dimensions. In the attached file, I've made a chart using Rudy's point shares for 12-team leagues, showing the top 7 1Bs. Whether you trust the projections that are used to generate the point shares is a separate matter, but it's interesting (to me anyway) to see the clumping in RBIs, Rs, and HRs, as well as to see how much Pujols beats the field in every category.

What I'd love to be able to do eventually is create a way to populate a chart like this as part of the War Room spreadsheet. It might be helpful as a way to spot gaps in your team's balance.

Any thoughts?
12-Team_Radar_Chart_1B.jpg
12-Team_Radar_Chart_1B.jpg (35.1 KiB) Viewed 827 times

Rudy Gamble

Re: Radar Charts for Point Shares

Postby Rudy Gamble » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:41 am

Hey Dingbat -
Cool visualization! I like it but just not sure it's how many people visualize stats to that degree. This chart does a great job at synthesizing the 5 dimensions for hitters but, i have to admit, it wouldn't be the chart I'd look at if there are 5 more picks until me and I'm debating whether to take a 1B or not with my pick.

I tend to focus on total $ figures only with the occasional filter on a specific stat (like SB) if my team is getting imbalanced.

But I know I am more 'numbers' and less 'visual' than most. Would be great to hear from others how useful something like this chart would be!

LMack
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: Radar Charts for Point Shares

Postby LMack » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:14 pm

Shows how good Pujols is :shock:

Return to “Baseball - General Player Discussion”