Mock Draft Q's...

News, Injuries, Rosters - All baseball all the time!
rhymenoceros

Mock Draft Q's...

Postby rhymenoceros » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:52 am

So, I completed my first mock draft last night. I had some interesting thoughts that I wanted to bounce off the Razzball faithful. The draft was a snake-style, standard ESPN league (Roto 5x5). Here is my draft:

Rhymenoceros
Player Team Acquired
1B Joey Votto CIN R1 P7
2B Aaron Hill TOR R9 P7
2B Sean Rodriguez TB R16 P6
2B Eric Young Jr COL R23 P7
3B Ryan Zimmerman WAS R2 P6
3B Pedro Alvarez PIT R7 P7
3B Mike Moustakas KC R24 P6
SS Ian Desmond WAS R14 P6
SS Alcides Escobar KC R21 P7
C John Buck FLA R22 P6
OF Justin Upton ARI R3 P7
OF Andrew McCutchen PIT R4 P6
OF Carlos Quentin CHW R15 P7
OF Dexter Fowler COL R17 P7
DH Adam Lind TOR R12 P6
SP CC Sabathia NYY R5 P7
SP Cole Hamels PHI R6 P6
SP Matt Garza CHC R10 P6
SP Jonathan Sanchez SF R13 P7
SP Edinson Volquez CIN R19 P7
RP Heath Bell SD R8 P6
RP Francisco Rodriguez NYM R11 P7
RP Matt Thornton CHW R18 P6
RP Evan Meek PIT R20 P6
RP Jonny Venters ATL R25 P7

Two thoughts: 1) I found it crazy difficult to pull the trigger on anything dealing with an 2B, SS, or MI once the "elite" options left the board. I wanted Andrus and the ever-boring Alexi Ramirez, but they both went higher than expected. That seemed to be a theme of the draft, especially concerning MI's. Thus, I had to reach from yawnstipating Sean Rodriguez and Ian Desmond. Blech. 2) Since it seems hitting is on a downward trend, would it make sense to draft power pitching early and hope to find some nice offense bargains late? After all, when hitting dominated, fantasy baseballers switched their strategy. Why not focus on an elite staff that can be trade bait later?

Simply Fred
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: Mock Draft Q's...

Postby Simply Fred » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:32 pm

Per Grey's "3.Have your offense squared away before the final rounds and never take an offensive bench player." (http://razzball.com/performance-enhanci ... tegy-peds/), think you only want ONE MI from Rodriguez, Young, Escobar (waiver wire when needed). Rodriguez a real reach to return R16 value. Replace the hitters with 2 more pitchers. It is difficult to get reliable SP late in the draft (can stream just as well); IMO it is better to add a couple of MR with good periphs who may be closers in waiting (similar to your Venters pick). They will provide some production on a daily basis (Ks and the occasional vulture win or save).

rhymenoceros

Postby rhymenoceros » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:38 pm

Good advice, Fred. I knew I was getting hosed on MI, so I took a reactionary plunge, which would cost me big time were this a real team. That being said, I was drafting hitters as bench players because I just wanted to see what kind of hitters are being undervalued, thus, my focus was on offense. I usually subscribe to your strategy of taking middle relievers with a chance to close. If you're anything like me, saves are hard to come by off of waivers because everyone in the league is a vulture. Thanks again!

Simply Fred
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Simply Fred » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:31 pm

Hey, I do similar in drafts: try different strategies to see 'what kind of hitters are being undervalued', etc. I gave up on the "I'll try to starve a position to see what happens." Found that fellow managers always seemed to find a way to plug the gaps.

Frankly, was hoping someone else (Grey?) would weigh in on your second issue: to shift from power to pitching?

LMack
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby LMack » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:52 pm

2) Since it seems hitting is on a downward trend, would it make sense to draft power pitching early and hope to find some nice offense bargains late? After all, when hitting dominated, fantasy baseballers switched their strategy. Why not focus on an elite staff that can be trade bait later?
Big bats are safer than big (?) arms. I just think that drafting with the sole intent of flipping your pitchers is a risky venture. Say you pass up on too much offense, and not enough of your pitching performs enough to make your value back. Then what? The real problem with this scenario is not that you ARE drafting pitchers, its that you AREN'T drafting hitters. Sabe?

You definitely can assemble a strong pitching staff. But what you should be doing is while your fellow managers are taking scrubs in the teens rounds, is loading up on high K/9 pitchers. If you pair 3 of these "middle-tier" pitchers with a more solid SP, you have a decent staff. And if, while going prospecting in the double digit rounds, you strike pitching gold more than once, there is your trade bait.

Return to “Baseball - General Player Discussion”