Mauer Deal

News, Injuries, Rosters - All baseball all the time!
Kman23

Mauer Deal

Postby Kman23 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:56 am

I know that Mauer' 2009 self will not be again but would you make a move for Mauer now in a keeper league? Right now even his BA is low and he has to be near a trough in terms of value.

I was offered this deal and think I'm going to take it--

Mauer, Frank Francisco, Putz, and Matsui for BJ Upton, Axford, H. Bell, and Buck.

Upton has potential but hasn't reached it. Axford and Bell are both valuable but closers aren't keeper quality (plus I picked up Joe Nathan and have him stored in a DL spot incase I do want a closer), and Buck has been decent this year (better than Mauer) but isn't really good IMHO. As a guy who traded McCann for Phillips and then picked up Napoli and Buck I know catchers are normally a category to punt but am I really losing anything (long-term) in this deal? And what if Mauer does re-find his swing when the Twins make their annual August push?

I like Upton but he really only offers SB help and (as I posted one thread earlier) I have a decent shot at acquiring Ellsbury. The only real cost of this move is the opportunity cost of trading away 2 decent closers, whose values could keep increasing as we get closer and closer to the end of the year.

chlenko

Re: Mauer Deal

Postby chlenko » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:37 am

I guess it depends on your keeper settings (how many keepers) and your intentions for this season (compete or rebuild).

You are getting the best player in the deal but the rest of what you are getting (Frank, Putz, Matsui) is pretty lame.
14 team Dynasty league - '09/10/11/15 champ
C - Realmuto
1B - Olson
2B - Merrifield
3B - Donaldson
SS - Bogaerts
MI - Lindor
CI - G.Cooper
OF - Marte, E.Rosario, Castellanos, Buxton, Kipnis
UTIL - Dozier
BN - T.Shaw
DL - McCutchen, B.Rdogers
SP - DeGrom, Flaherty, Montas, Gibson, Anibal Sanchez, Miley
RP - Yates, Giles, Treinen, Hendricks, Robles, Buttrey
DL - Hill, Gausman
R-1B-2B-HR-RBI-SB-BB-K-AVG-OPS
W-L-QS-SV-K-ERA-WHIP-K/BB

Kman23

Postby Kman23 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:48 am

Mauer is the only guy I'd keep in the deal. BJ Upton isn't one of my keepers even so I'm losing 4 non-keepers for 1 keeper.

I'm in a 12 team 8 keeper league.

Right now (before the deal) I have Votto, Phillips, Zimmerman, Braun, Krispie Young, Victorino, Werth, and Stanton are the 8 I'm keeping now meaning that Upton, Cain, Shields and Bell won't be kept. If I get this move Mauer is technically #9 on my list. However, I think the deal is worth it for 2 reasons. First, I can package 2 keepers (like Victorino and Werth) for a better keeper (like Josh Hamilton, Kemp) of 3 keepers for an elite (like Hanley).

Second, if Mauer and the Twins pull their usual August hot streak (which of couse always occurs when my Tigers are falling from first) then Mauer's value will grow. My deadline is late and I can either move him during his hot streak on a team that is desperate to replace Molina or Pudge as their catcher or I can hold him till the offseason and move him for lots of picks.

Is that logical?

chlenko

Postby chlenko » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:39 am

Seems like a good rebuilding strategy.
14 team Dynasty league - '09/10/11/15 champ
C - Realmuto
1B - Olson
2B - Merrifield
3B - Donaldson
SS - Bogaerts
MI - Lindor
CI - G.Cooper
OF - Marte, E.Rosario, Castellanos, Buxton, Kipnis
UTIL - Dozier
BN - T.Shaw
DL - McCutchen, B.Rdogers
SP - DeGrom, Flaherty, Montas, Gibson, Anibal Sanchez, Miley
RP - Yates, Giles, Treinen, Hendricks, Robles, Buttrey
DL - Hill, Gausman
R-1B-2B-HR-RBI-SB-BB-K-AVG-OPS
W-L-QS-SV-K-ERA-WHIP-K/BB

PollardsVision

Postby PollardsVision » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:15 am

Probably not a bad idea, as there does always seem to be someone out there really thinks Mauer is a valuable.

Personally, I'd probably rather have Upton. I don't expect Upton to be what we thought he'd be, but he is only 25 and, even at his worst, still provides SBs.

I'm never particularly interested in players that don't provided meaningful HRs or SBs. Mauer is one of these players.
Others seem to really love the guy, so maybe you can get some value if he gets hot.
10 team 5x5 ROTO (OBP), 11-player keeper, C/1B/2B/3B/SS/MI/CI/IF/5OF/UTIL/8SP/3RP

C: Castro, Montero
1B: Rizzo, Adams, Lind
2B: Kinsler, Kipnis
3B: M.Cabrera, Frazier, Reynolds
SS: Alcides
OF: Stanton, Trumbo, Choo, Marte, Rasmus, Blackmon, Bradley Jr.

SP: Gio, Scherzer, Ryu, Cashner, Kuroda, Lackey, Minor, Wood, Peralta
RP: Balfour, Perkins, Nathan, Frieri, Fields

Return to “Baseball - General Player Discussion”