Help me pick my keepers for 2012!

Who to start, who to bench. Grab that WW guy? Low priced rookie or high priced stud?
BigSeph

Help me pick my keepers for 2012!

Postby BigSeph » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:44 pm

Keeper league, no $ value on picks, keep 4 batters and 3 pitchers. 10 team league.

C: Santana
1B: Hosmer
SS: Castro
3B: Lawrie, Zimmerman
OF: Braun
OF: J. Upton
OF: Stanton
OF: Bruce

P: Verlander
P: Gallardo
P: Grienke
P: Wainwright

Which 4 batters and which 3 pitchers would you keep? I'm leaning Braun/Upton/Stanton/Hosmer and Verlander/Gallardo/Grienke. SS and 3B turns to crap pretty early though as most of the higher end guys are kept in my league (Tulo/Hanley/Reyes/Andrus at SS and Longo/Wright @ 3B).

Grey

Re: Help me pick my keepers for 2012!

Postby Grey » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:21 pm

Keeper league, no $ value on picks, keep 4 batters and 3 pitchers. 10 team league.

C: Santana
1B: Hosmer
SS: Castro
3B: Lawrie, Zimmerman
OF: Braun
OF: J. Upton
OF: Stanton
OF: Bruce

P: Verlander
P: Gallardo
P: Grienke
P: Wainwright

Which 4 batters and which 3 pitchers would you keep? I'm leaning Braun/Upton/Stanton/Hosmer and Verlander/Gallardo/Grienke. SS and 3B turns to crap pretty early though as most of the higher end guys are kept in my league (Tulo/Hanley/Reyes/Andrus at SS and Longo/Wright @ 3B).
When do you have to decide? Be nice to know what the deal is with Braun first.
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

BigSeph

Postby BigSeph » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:17 pm

First of the year, Braun's herpes couldn't have been uncovered at a worse time.

Grey

Postby Grey » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:55 am

Lawrie over Braun, rest keep the same...
Grey Albright

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

BigSeph

Postby BigSeph » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:19 am

Thanks for justifying my Lawrie manlove, Grey.

Might try to move Braun for a stud pitcher before we submit our lists.

Grey

Postby Grey » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:51 am

Do it up, BigSeph.
Grey Albright

Thanks!

A2K
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby A2K » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:08 am

Really? Lawrie over Zimmerman?

BigSeph

Postby BigSeph » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:00 pm

I can't speak for Grey, but I gun for stat fillers (and young ones) as my keepers.

Ryan Zimmerman might hit 30 HRs, but he might also play 100 games and be a late scratch for 20. He won't steal double digit bags, and he's incredibly inconsistent.

If Lawrie goes 80/25/80/25/.290, that is incredible production from a 3B.

Who's going to rival that at 3B? David brokeneck Wright? I don't expect him to steal 30 bags ever again.

Maybe I'm biased, but a 22 year old who just ops'd .953 as a 21 year old at 3B is juicy. Bill James has him down for 22HR/30SB, and has Zimmerman at 22/3. Yes, 3. :)

If Braun wasn't putting herpes meds on his junk, I could have had an outfield of Braun(30/30), Upton(25/25), Stanton(30/15) with a side of 20/30 Lawrie at 3rd.

If the Blue Jays put Lawrie at 3rd or 5th in the lineup (instead of 7th/8th), watch out. Anyways that's my rationale for not even considering Zimmerman at 3b. I had someone much better on my roster.

AdmiralTrey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby AdmiralTrey » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:31 pm

Zimmerman is a huge talent, for sure, but if you look at the six full MLB seasons he's had, he's missed over 50 games twice already and really hasn't put together three "good" seasons out of 6. I can understand taking Lawrie over him in a keeper league because Lawrie has legitimate 20-30 SB speed to go along with power numbers that ought to equal or surpass Zimmerman over the next few seasons. In Zimmerman's age 21 season, as a rookie in the majors, he hit 20 HR's in 157 games while batting .287. Yeah, pretty good for a 21 year old. Lawrie, in his age 21 rookie season, hit 9 HR's in 43 games while batting.293. He also hit .347 with 18 HR's in 73 minor league games.

If you were to extrapolate Lawrie's MLB stats over 157 games, the number of games that Zimmerman played in as a 21 year old rookie, Lawrie's line compared to Zimmerman's would be:

Zimmerman - 84/.287/20/110/11
Brett Lawrie - 94/.293/33/91/26

Obviously it's not fair to do that, as a lot of things can happen over the course of a season, but Lawrie's potential is definitely looking huge.

Personally, I'd probably take Zimmerman over Lawrie in redraft leagues, but in keepers, not keeping Lawrie is not an option.

10 Team 6X6 H2H Dynasty Year 5
C - Wilson Ramos
1B - Freddie Freeman
2B - Gleyber Torres
3B - Nolan Arenado
SS - Trea Turner
OF - Mike Trout
OF - Ronald Acuna
OF - Yordan Alvarez
OF - Kris Bryant
UTL - Javier Baez
UTL - Adalberto Mondesi
Bench - Rhys Hoskins, Miguel Sano, Byron Buxton, Jonathan Schoop, Rowdy Tellez

SP - Gerrit Cole, Stephen Strasburg, Blake Snell, Chris Sale, Jose Berrios, Chris Paddack, Mike Soroka, German Marquez
RP - Ken Giles, Dellin Betances, Taylor Rogers, Geovanny Gallegos, Colin Poche, Corey Knebel
Pedo NA Purgatory Felipse Vazquez

Prospects:
SP: Grayson Rodriguez, Josiah Gray, Seth Corry, Franklin Perez, Ryan Weathers, Blake Walston
RP: James Karinchak
OF: Luis Robert, Alek Thomas, Jesus Sanchez, Kameron Misner, Bayron Lora
IF: Vidal Brujan, Alexander Mojica, Malcolm Nunez, Greg Jones, Gunnar Henderson
C: Sam Huff, Luis Campusano, William Contreras

Results:
2019 - 4th place. Finished regular season 20 games ahead of 2nd place but fell apart in the playoffs.
2018 - 1st place. Finished regular season 24 games ahead of 2nd place and won in the playoffs.
2017 - 2nd place. Finished regular season 5 games ahead of 2nd place but lost in the playoffs.
2016 - 1st place. Finished regular season 1.5 games behind 1st but won in the playoffs

Return to “Baseball - Lineups, Waivers, Keepers”