Keeper dilemma: age old question

Who to start, who to bench. Grab that WW guy? Low priced rookie or high priced stud?
drob

Keeper dilemma: age old question

Postby drob » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:02 pm

So I came here last year and asked the question, "do you take the sure thing established player (Bobby Abreu) over the dreamy upside of a potential young stud (Jason Heyward) even in a keeper league? I was told yes. I drafted Abreu. Dang it. This lingers in the back of my mind when I'm debating my next question: (my unwavering faith in your advice is obviously shameful BTW)

Do I keep Oswalt over Wieters?

I've kept Wieters for 2 years now, waiting on the golden boy to have his day. there are no erstrictions on keepers in my league. If they're on your roster at the end of the year, they can be kept for the following year. We keep 12. I already have a solid core, but I'm stumped on this last spot. I'll post my roster below, and blindly follow whatever advice you give. So do I take the relaible stats for a whole year, or roll the dice with Matty-boy?

8 x 8 league. Hits, OBP, and SLG are extra hitting cats. CG, QS, K/9 extra pitching cats.

current keepers:
1B - M. Cabrera
2B - I. Kinsler
3B - D. Wright
SS - J. Reyes
OF - R. Braun
OF - J. Bruce
UTIL - A. Gonzalez
SP - T. Lincecum
SP - A. Wainwright
SP - C. Lee
SP - C.C. Sabathia

Grey

Re: Keeper dilemma: age old question

Postby Grey » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:34 am

So I came here last year and asked the question, "do you take the sure thing established player (Bobby Abreu) over the dreamy upside of a potential young stud (Jason Heyward) even in a keeper league? I was told yes. I drafted Abreu. Dang it. This lingers in the back of my mind when I'm debating my next question: (my unwavering faith in your advice is obviously shameful BTW)

Do I keep Oswalt over Wieters?

I've kept Wieters for 2 years now, waiting on the golden boy to have his day. there are no erstrictions on keepers in my league. If they're on your roster at the end of the year, they can be kept for the following year. We keep 12. I already have a solid core, but I'm stumped on this last spot. I'll post my roster below, and blindly follow whatever advice you give. So do I take the relaible stats for a whole year, or roll the dice with Matty-boy?

8 x 8 league. Hits, OBP, and SLG are extra hitting cats. CG, QS, K/9 extra pitching cats.

current keepers:
1B - M. Cabrera
2B - I. Kinsler
3B - D. Wright
SS - J. Reyes
OF - R. Braun
OF - J. Bruce
UTIL - A. Gonzalez
SP - T. Lincecum
SP - A. Wainwright
SP - C. Lee
SP - C.C. Sabathia
Go with Wieters.
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

youngid

Postby youngid » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:22 pm

Is this a two-team league? Your team is incredible. You could keep Y. Betancourt and still win the league.

But I'd go with Wieters too.

drob

Postby drob » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:04 pm

12 team league. I got totally lucky on the draft the first year ('08). I was able to draft Braun and Cabrera at the turn. Kinsler and Wainwright somewhere around the 5/6. Drafted Bruce in the 25th round. Some dope dropped Aramis Ramirez in '08 and I had the first waiver claim. That turned into a 3 team deal where I traded A-Ram and Victoino and landed Lincecum. Landed Wieters at #5 pick in the '09 draft. Traded for Wright in his down year '09. Got Reyes when he was injured in '09. Traded a load of draft picks for A-Gon before last year's draft. Acquired Lee while he was on the DL at the start of last year with Prado and Weeks + picks.

I take no credit in assembling the team. It is a result of pure luck in where I drafted that first year, and then having a few things go my way.

It's a 3 year league, and I just barely won it last year. Due to my extreme lack of picks, my team is kin to Dolly Parton (top heavy). I have 12 great players and then a bunch of shlubs. Last year I was able to pick up some good waiver wire guys and pull out the W. But, surprisingly, there are 6 or 7 other teams equally as potent as mine. We really have 7 great/competitive guys, 1 so-so manager and then 4 guys that just kind of gave up. The last 4 teams have gotten pretty bad though....

Thanks for the advice

Return to “Baseball - Lineups, Waivers, Keepers”