Another H2H draft strategy question

Discuss your mock drafts, your real drafts, what's on draft... Anything to do with drafting is found here.
Steve
Sponsor
Sponsor

Another H2H draft strategy question

Postby Steve » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:41 am

Probably against my better judgement, I'm going to play in my old H2H league again this year. It's 12-team, 5x5 plus OBP and Holds. Roster is C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF, RF, Util, SP x 2, RP x 2, P x 3 and 8 bench spots.

I've employed various strategies over the years - streaming, streaming not so much, punting Saves and trying to win Holds and, last year, going relievers-only. This year, I want to take a more traditional approach (sticking as close as I can to the Razzball rankings and of course the PEDS) and (although it will never turn out this way) try to keep it fairly low-maintenance.

Grey (and anyone else of course) - would appreciate your input on the following thoughts/questions:

1. As far as is possible, avoid upside picks in favour of proven production. Goes without saying, I guess. As this league is pretty shallow (there are only 9 hitting spots), there is much less need to take fliers, no? I have to resign myself to leaving some tasty morsels on the grill.

2. As far as the two 'rogue' categories go, don't get hung up on OBP. Draft quality and balance where possible and that should take care of itself. And just as S(aves)AGNOF, H(olds)AGNOF. This would be a departure for me as I have chased Holds in the past (as it were).

3. Separate OF positions. Most OFs seem to have dual eligibility, but RF seems to be the thinnest position of the three. Does this make Hamilton, Rios, Markakis and Kemp a little more valuable and thus worth a reach? They'd be the four top RF-eligible guys. There's also Ichiro but we all know not to go there.

4. Is Utley even more of a prized commodity? Can't see him falling to the 2nd now. 8th or 9th pick maybe?

5. How many closers to draft? Assuming SAGNOF (and thus drafting some schmohawks) I'm thinking at least 3, possibly 4. I am thinking maybe 3 MRs, any one of whom will spend a fair bit of time on the bench. I'm less worried about Holds than I have been in the past.

6. That would leave me with room (I think!) to draft 8 starters. With what I have learned at the feet of Razzball, I'm confident I can draft a staff that would compete in all categories without needing to stream, as it's just too much work.

7. All of which means, that I'm not drafting any hitters for my bench. Drove myself crazy last year trying to decide who to sit/start. The MRs are thus the revolving doors when I need to fill holes on short-schedule days or if I need steals or whatever in a given week.

7. Where do you take Peavy in a 12-teamer?. Still wait for the 4th or can you justify the end of the 3rd? Doubt he falls there though. Failing that, is it a Beckett/Lackey/Shields type in the 6th or perhaps Bills in the 7th/8th? Then I'd plan to pick off the usual suspects from there...

Just a minute, didn't I say I wasn't going to put much effort into this league this year?

Any and all input, as ever, is very much appreciated.
This IS my f**king outlet!

Grey

Re: Another H2H draft strategy question

Postby Grey » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:53 am

There's a lot here, but here's a few things: 1) Upside is fine later in the draft, but in your league it would seem like fewer fliers are necessary. 2) You don't plan on streaming. But few people do. At some point you're going to need to take the bull by the horns. 3) re: how many closers? -- The more the merrier. Can never have too many as long as you're not sacrificing production elsewhere.
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

Steve
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Steve » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:12 pm

So here's a little 12-teamer (3 OF, no MI or CI) I drafted as if it was for my H2H league, esp keeping separate OF positions in mid. Not great at 2B/SS and might lack a little power but pitching is pretty solid.

1.11 Mark Teixeira 1B SteveL - Howard was another option here
2.14 Carlos Beltran CF SteveL
3.35 Carlos Lee LF SteveL
4.38 Matt Kemp RF SteveL
5.59 Shane Victorino Util SteveL - Not sure about this one
6.62 Garrett Atkins 3B SteveL - Davis was another option here
7.83 James Shields SP SteveL
8.86 John Lackey SP SteveL
9.107 Jonathan Broxton RP SteveL
10.110 Adam Wainwright SP SteveL
11.131 Kelly Johnson 2B SteveL
12.134 Matt Cain SP SteveL
13.155 Francisco Cordero RP SteveL
14.158 Derek Lowe SP SteveL
15.179 Ramon Hernandez C SteveL
16.182 Heath Bell RP SteveL
17.203 Wandy Rodriguez SP SteveL
18.206 Clint Barmes SS SteveL

Grey

Postby Grey » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:30 pm

1.11 Mark Teixeira 1B SteveL - Howard was another option here
2.14 Carlos Beltran CF SteveL
3.35 Carlos Lee LF SteveL
4.38 Matt Kemp RF SteveL
5.59 Shane Victorino Util SteveL - Not sure about this one
6.62 Garrett Atkins 3B SteveL - Davis was another option here
7.83 James Shields SP SteveL
8.86 John Lackey SP SteveL
9.107 Jonathan Broxton RP SteveL
10.110 Adam Wainwright SP SteveL
11.131 Kelly Johnson 2B SteveL
12.134 Matt Cain SP SteveL
13.155 Francisco Cordero RP SteveL
14.158 Derek Lowe SP SteveL
15.179 Ramon Hernandez C SteveL
16.182 Heath Bell RP SteveL
17.203 Wandy Rodriguez SP SteveL
18.206 Clint Barmes SS SteveL
Tex and Victorino are fine, I would've preferred Davis. What happened with Howard? You got gun-shy because you had him last year in your H2H?
Grey Albright

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

Steve
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Steve » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:41 pm

Not that I'd never draft Howard, but was just thinking Tex is a little more consistent from week-to-week. And Howard did give me an ulcer last year. It seemed like it was all or nothing. That's equalised to an extent at the end of a roto season, but a cold week at the wrong time in H2H and...

Same thing with Atkins and it just felt a bit early for Davis. Davis a risk worth taking there you think? Better power numbers pho' sho'.

As it turned out, could have gone Tex AND Howard but then might have been chasing the OF a bit. That said I did get Lee in a good spot, probably could have passed on Kemp, got Victorino and then Dye later for the RF slot.

Grey

Postby Grey » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:37 pm

You probably could've taken something other than Davis or Atkins there and grabbed Davis a little later. Depends how well read on fantasy your leaguemates are for how early you have to draft Davis.

EDIT: And that made sense about Howard and Tex. That was what I figured.
Grey Albright

Thanks!

Steve
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Steve » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:51 pm

Probably should have mentioned that Davis was taken with the very next pick! I'm thinking they'll be jumping on him pretty quick.

Looking back on the draft, I could have taken Youk as a 3B at 38 instead of Kemp and the Flyin' Hawaiian would still have been there at 59. Would have had to find an RF at some stage though.

Steve
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Steve » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:05 pm

Just trying to get my shizz together for a 12-team H2H Yahoo draft coming up this weekend.

The Razzball Top 300 is never far from my side and allowing for the fact that I won't be drafting any pitching in the first 2 rounds, I have a top 12 that looks like this:

1. Hanley Ramírez
2. José Reyes
3. David Wright
4. Albert Pujols
5. Miguel Cabrera
6. Grady Sizemore
7. Ryan Braun
8. Chase Utley
9. Ryan Howard
10. Mark Teixeira
11. Carlos Beltrán
12. Ian Kinsler

Does that look about right?

My only doubt is over Howard and Tex - I could see myself taking Tex ahead of Howard because he is more consistent week-to-week.

Grey

Postby Grey » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:25 pm

Looks fine, in H2H I could see the case for Tex in front of Howard, so I don't have a problem with that.
Grey Albright

Thanks!

Steve
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Steve » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:29 pm

Thanks.

Rollins is now 13th if I follow the Razz rankings. If you had 12th pick you couldn't go Kinsler then Rollins could you?

Be a long time before you could get your hands on a 1B or OF.

Return to “Fantasy Baseball Drafts Discussion”