Draft Strategy (Pitching)

News, Injuries, Rosters - All baseball all the time!
theearly90s

Draft Strategy (Pitching)

Postby theearly90s » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:01 am

I have the 2nd, 5th, and 15th overall pick in a 10-team league. I keep AGonz in the third round and Jennings in the 18th. I do not have a 4th round pick. Do I dare go with 3 bats in the first two rounds and not select a pitcher until the 5th round? My lineup would be nuts but should I grab a pitcher with the 15th overall pick?
Yahoo 10 team H2H
Batting: H, R, 2B, 3B, HR, AVG, SB, K, BB
Pitching: W, L, SV, K, BB, WHIP, ERA, CG

AdmiralTrey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: Draft Strategy (Pitching)

Postby AdmiralTrey » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:25 am

If your league values pitching the same way that a typical league does, I wouldn't worry about taking a pitcher until the 5th round... You can still get half of the SP's in Grey's top 20 list in the 5th round and later of most drafts.

10 Team 6X6 H2H Dynasty Year 5
C - Wilson Ramos
1B - Freddie Freeman
2B - Gleyber Torres
3B - Nolan Arenado
SS - Trea Turner
OF - Mike Trout
OF - Ronald Acuna
OF - Yordan Alvarez
OF - Kris Bryant
UTL - Javier Baez
UTL - Adalberto Mondesi
Bench - Rhys Hoskins, Miguel Sano, Byron Buxton, Jonathan Schoop, Rowdy Tellez

SP - Gerrit Cole, Stephen Strasburg, Blake Snell, Chris Sale, Jose Berrios, Chris Paddack, Mike Soroka, German Marquez
RP - Ken Giles, Dellin Betances, Taylor Rogers, Geovanny Gallegos, Colin Poche, Corey Knebel
Pedo NA Purgatory Felipse Vazquez

Prospects:
SP: Grayson Rodriguez, Josiah Gray, Seth Corry, Franklin Perez, Ryan Weathers, Blake Walston
RP: James Karinchak
OF: Luis Robert, Alek Thomas, Jesus Sanchez, Kameron Misner, Bayron Lora
IF: Vidal Brujan, Alexander Mojica, Malcolm Nunez, Greg Jones, Gunnar Henderson
C: Sam Huff, Luis Campusano, William Contreras

Results:
2019 - 4th place. Finished regular season 20 games ahead of 2nd place but fell apart in the playoffs.
2018 - 1st place. Finished regular season 24 games ahead of 2nd place and won in the playoffs.
2017 - 2nd place. Finished regular season 5 games ahead of 2nd place but lost in the playoffs.
2016 - 1st place. Finished regular season 1.5 games behind 1st but won in the playoffs

pythons007

Postby pythons007 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:37 pm

In a 10 team league, I'd wait until the 8-10th round before drafting a pitcher. There are a buttload of SP out there in a 10 team league that will be available in those rounds. LIMA rule is going to be the best draft strategy this year. Go by this rule and you'll win your league.
12 team Roto R, 2B, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OBP, SLG, APP, W, SV, HLD, K, ERA, WHIP, K/BB
C Alfaro
1B Hoskins
2B Villar
3B Rendon
SS Correa
MI Bogaerts
CI Encarnacion
LF E. Rosario
CF Springer
RF Laureano
OF Mercado
OF Tsutsugo
UTIL R. Nunez
BN A. Hays/B Rodgers

SP Bieber/Castillo/E. Rodriguez/Ryu/Odorizzi/Boyd/Marquez
RP LeClerc/N. Anderson/Oberg/T. Watson/Kahnle/Pomeranz

logan81901

Postby logan81901 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:46 pm

what is LIMA rule?
16 team roto keeper league
R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OBP, W, K, S, HLD, ERA, WHIP
16 players must be kept each year
Keep as long as you want
1500 inning limit
162 games per position

C- Wilson Ramos
1st- Freddie Freeman
2nd- Gyorko
3rd- Miggy
SS- E Cabrera
INF- Chris Davis
LF- Brett Gardner
CF- Andrew McCutchen
RF-
OF-
UT-A Beltre

SP- Matt Cain
SP- Madison Bumgarner
SP- Julio Teheran
RP- Grant Balfour
RP- Sergio Romo
RP-
P- Shelby Miller
P-
P-
BN- Miguel Sano
BN-
BN-
BN-
BN-
BN-

johnwhorfin
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby johnwhorfin » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:18 pm

In a 10 team league, I'd wait until the 8-10th round before drafting a pitcher. There are a buttload of SP out there in a 10 team league that will be available in those rounds. LIMA rule is going to be the best draft strategy this year. Go by this rule and you'll win your league.
Agree entirely. I have been waiting on pitching for 3 years now, and in most of my leagues, I tend to finish in the top third in pitching. Not always top notch across the board, but certainly within my tolerance if I want to try and win it all.
"One martini is all right, two is too many, three is not enough."
- James Thurber

AdmiralTrey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby AdmiralTrey » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:19 pm

what is LIMA rule?

It's basically a strategy in which you wait and take a bunch of high upside pitchers at a very low cost and spend the rest of your picks or money on hitters. It's named for Jose Lima, but I think it stands for Low Investment Mound and then whatever the A would be... I've used this strategy several times and have been competitive with it, but it's honestly not very effective in competitive leagues where everyone knows what they're doing because the list of cheap breakout candidate pitchers that you have is probably a list that everyone else already has, too.

C - Wilson Ramos
1B - Freddie Freeman
2B - Gleyber Torres
3B - Nolan Arenado
SS - Trea Turner
OF - Mike Trout
OF - Ronald Acuna
OF - Yordan Alvarez
OF - Kris Bryant
UTL - Javier Baez
UTL - Adalberto Mondesi

SP - Gerrit Cole, Stephen Strasburg, Blake Snell, Chris Sale, Jose Berrios, Chris Paddack, Mike Soroka, German Marquez
RP - Ken Giles, Dellin Betances, Taylor Rogers, Geovanny Gallegos, Colin Poche, Corey Knebel

Prospects:
SP: Grayson Rodriguez, Josiah Gray, Seth Corry, Franklin Perez, Ryan Weathers, Blake Walston

Results:
2019 - 4th place. Finished regular season 20 games ahead of 2nd place but fell apart in the playoffs.
2018 - 1st place. Finished regular season 24 games ahead of 2nd place and won in the playoffs.
2017 - 2nd place. Finished regular season 5 games ahead of 2nd place but lost in the playoffs.
2016 - 1st place. Finished regular season 1.5 games behind 1st but won in the playoffs

pythons007

Postby pythons007 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:26 am

what is LIMA rule?

It's basically a strategy in which you wait and take a bunch of high upside pitchers at a very low cost and spend the rest of your picks or money on hitters. It's named for Jose Lima, but I think it stands for Low Investment Mound and then whatever the A would be... I've used this strategy several times and have been competitive with it, but it's honestly not very effective in competitive leagues where everyone knows what they're doing because the list of cheap breakout candidate pitchers that you have is probably a list that everyone else already has, too.
But it should be more than effective with all the breakouts last year, pitchers coming off injury, and pitchers that might have had down years. There are seriously a buttload of SP out there that you really don't have to worry about drafting a top tier guy. Even if you don't draft good pitching, and you have a bunch of stud hitters you'll have the resources to pull of a big trade SP.
12 team Roto R, 2B, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OBP, SLG, APP, W, SV, HLD, K, ERA, WHIP, K/BB
C Alfaro
1B Hoskins
2B Villar
3B Rendon
SS Correa
MI Bogaerts
CI Encarnacion
LF E. Rosario
CF Springer
RF Laureano
OF Mercado
OF Tsutsugo
UTIL R. Nunez
BN A. Hays/B Rodgers

SP Bieber/Castillo/E. Rodriguez/Ryu/Odorizzi/Boyd/Marquez
RP LeClerc/N. Anderson/Oberg/T. Watson/Kahnle/Pomeranz

johnwhorfin
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby johnwhorfin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:29 pm

LIMA=Low Investment Mound Aces
Coined by someone on BaseballHQ I believe, and definitely referred initially to Jose Lima.
"One martini is all right, two is too many, three is not enough."
- James Thurber

AdmiralTrey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby AdmiralTrey » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:34 pm

what is LIMA rule?

But it should be more than effective with all the breakouts last year, pitchers coming off injury, and pitchers that might have had down years. There are seriously a buttload of SP out there that you really don't have to worry about drafting a top tier guy. Even if you don't draft good pitching, and you have a bunch of stud hitters you'll have the resources to pull of a big trade SP.

Yeah, that's true. I mean, conceivably you could draft Wainwright and Josh Johnson late and if they're healthy and pitch at 100% could be two top tier SP1's. The chances of that happening though, aren't great. LIMA is risky, and rarely does everything pan out, but it's usually worth the risk.

Oh, BTW, EFF YOU, FRANCISCO LIRIANO!

C - Wilson Ramos
1B - Freddie Freeman
2B - Gleyber Torres
3B - Nolan Arenado
SS - Trea Turner
OF - Mike Trout
OF - Ronald Acuna
OF - Yordan Alvarez
OF - Kris Bryant
UTL - Javier Baez
UTL - Adalberto Mondesi

Prospects:

Results:

Return to “Baseball - General Player Discussion”