LOGIN

When in doubt, I like to keep hitters over pitchers, but sometimes pitchers come with such a cheap price tag, you have to take a gander, goose. Ubaldo Jimenez should fit that bill, duck.  Gotta look for the sale, man (fish).  (Okay, I’ll stop now.)  With Jimenez’s average ADP this preseason and his egregious April, I imagine if you own Ubaldo, he’s cheaper than most guys on your team.  If you throw out Ubaldo’s April when he gave up 16 earned runs in 19 innings, he has an ERA near-3 on the season.  His K-rate has stayed about the same over his career (just south of 8 K/9), but the impressive thing this season is the way he’s been able to cut his walks.  Coming into this season, he had around a 4.50 BB/9.  That was troubling.  This year, however, he has a 3.41 BB/9 while maintaining his Ks.  To go along with his Ks and lack of walks is his ability to get opposing hitters to become Sparky Anklebiters, hitting the ball into the dirt.  As we know keeping the ball down, striking out guys and not walking (as) many, is a recipe for…  Boeuf Bourguignon? No, random italicized voice.  A successful pitcher.  Even one that calls Coors home.  Anyway, here’s some more fantasy baseball keepers for 2010:

Nelson Cruz – In 2010, he’s a lineup switch or an injury to someone else away from being a top 20 hitter.  He has the power (30+) and speed (20+) combo to do it, the only thing missing is the Ribbies and Runs — Ma, I’m sick! Cause you ate at that damn Ribbies and Runs Joint!

Jayson Werth – Another guy with 30 HR power and speed.  Maybe it’s the landing strip on his face — does he bikini wax his chin? — But I wasn’t a fan of Werth coming into this year.  I was wrong — Or, in this case, wreng.