Drafting Strategies for 5th Round and beyond....

Discuss your mock drafts, your real drafts, what's on draft... Anything to do with drafting is found here.
Headbustaz

Drafting Strategies for 5th Round and beyond....

Postby Headbustaz » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:37 pm

I've done quite a few mock drafts now and here are some questions I have for anyone out there who wants to chime in to our fellow Fantasy B'Ballers. These strategies apply to a 5 X 5 Roto 10 team league.

1. I have noticed that pitchers are definitely going early. Having said that I probably will not get Santana, Sabathia or Lincecum as they will be drafted earlier than I would take them. The question I pose is what group would you take by the 6th round and if not there wait until the 7th, 8th or whatever your strategy is. Here is my opinion, if Halladay, Hamels, Peavy or Haren is still there I would probably take them in the 6th. If not probably take a pitcher in the 7th. Lester, E. Santana, Oswalt maybe from the trends I ams seeing. The next dilemma is when do I take another starting pitcher based on the hitting depth still remaining in the draft and how to decide over the next several rounds say 7th through 16th, to build my staff. That is the first dilemma. What do you think about the process of building your pitching staff?

2. Next regarding 2nd baseman, if you don't get Utley, Kinsler, Pedroia, Roberts, Phillips or Ramirez it appears you can wait until very late to grab a decent second baseman. If you do not get one of these players, should you wait until say the 18th to 20th round to grab Lopez, Derosa or Johnson. I think that is my strategy. What is yours?

3. Regarding the SS position, if you do not get Ramirez, Reyes or Rollins should you wait as long as you can and grab one out of the group Drew, Tulowitzki, Hardy or Peralta. I think this is the road I will go down depending on where my draft position is because Ramirez and Reyes should be gone in the top 5, Rollins can vary depending on the owners. What is your strategy if you do not get one of the top 3 mentioned?

4. Regarding 3B, my goal is to draft someone from the group Rodriguez, Wright, Longoria, Youkilis, Ramirez depending how the draft falls. No one really excites me after that if I do not get one of these 5 mentioned. Chipper Jones not mentioned, well I'm not sure about him. What do you think about drafting a 3rd baseman?

5. Regarding building outfield depth, this sort of ties in with drafting a starting pitching staff in my eyes because I have a dilemma on drafting my outfielders and building a starting staff in say rounds 6 through the 18th or so. When do you continue drafting players in the outfield after the top ones are gone like Quentin, Crawford, Rios, Carlos Lee, Jason Bay, Nick Markaikas to name a few and when to draft a starter like say a Shields, Dempster, Wainright, Jared Weaver, Ricky Nolasco to name a few. Now I'm sure i am leaving some names out but you get the idea. When drafting in the middle rounds when should you grab Victorino as opposed to Liriano for example. It obviously depends on what your team looks like at that point and what is still on the board but this is a MIDDLE ROUND DILEMMA on how to draft in these rounds based on how mocks are going? What do you think about building the depth in your outfield.

6. NOW, regarding SAVES, I will probably not get Rodriguez, Papelbon, Rivera, Nathan, or Lidge as they will go earlier than I would draft them. The dilemma is what round do you draft your first closer in? Should you try to atleast grab your first one from the group of say Marmol, Wood, Valverde, Fuentes to name a few. Then maybe wait until late and grab maybe a couple of guys from the group of say Broxton, Morrow, Ziegler, Capps, and Wilson to name a few or do you wait even longer and grab a Heath Bell or Chad Qualls. Do you like to grab closers early and grab 2 or 3? What is your strategy with saves? I will usually wait and not take closers too early.

7. PUNT, did I hear PUNT? I am probably definitely punting on catchers as McCann, Mauer, Marton, Soto, and Martinez will go earlier than Iwill draft them. What is your strategy? If Ianetta, Doumit or Shoppach falls far enough I will probably grab them. Otherwise, I will wait and try to grab maybe R. Hernandez, Napoli, Clement really late and see what happens. Catcher does not concern me too much. What is your strategy for drafting a catcher?

These are some dilemmas I am facing as I make my way through the world of MOCKING, what have you noticed in your mocks that you can add that would be usefule to this post? Let everyone at RAZZBALL know so wecan all benefit. Look forward to hearing response from this post.

Grey

Re: Drafting Strategies for 5th Round and beyond....

Postby Grey » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:37 pm

1. I have noticed that pitchers are definitely going early. Having said that I probably will not get Santana, Sabathia or Lincecum as they will be drafted earlier than I would take them. The question I pose is what group would you take by the 6th round and if not there wait until the 7th, 8th or whatever your strategy is. Here is my opinion, if Halladay, Hamels, Peavy or Haren is still there I would probably take them in the 6th. If not probably take a pitcher in the 7th. Lester, E. Santana, Oswalt maybe from the trends I ams seeing. The next dilemma is when do I take another starting pitcher based on the hitting depth still remaining in the draft and how to decide over the next several rounds say 7th through 16th, to build my staff. That is the first dilemma. What do you think about the process of building your pitching staff?
I'll have a top 20 starters post live on the site this Monday, so I'm not going to go into too much depth here (others are free to chime in). I will say that you should go for guys that are strong in Ks and WHIP and let ERA and Wins figure themselves out. That's the crux of any staff.
2. Next regarding 2nd baseman, if you don't get Utley, Kinsler, Pedroia, Roberts, Phillips or Ramirez it appears you can wait until very late to grab a decent second baseman. If you do not get one of these players, should you wait until say the 18th to 20th round to grab Lopez, Derosa or Johnson. I think that is my strategy. What is yours?
If I don't get Utley, Phillips or Ramirez, I'm not taking a 2nd baseman until very late (unless one falls pretty far). I'm starting to think I'm not going to be drafting Kinsler this year. I think I need to do a post on this, but I'm beginning to think he's to prone to striking out and he still hasn't played more than 130 games in a year.
3. Regarding the SS position, if you do not get Ramirez, Reyes or Rollins should you wait as long as you can and grab one out of the group Drew, Tulowitzki, Hardy or Peralta. I think this is the road I will go down depending on where my draft position is because Ramirez and Reyes should be gone in the top 5, Rollins can vary depending on the owners. What is your strategy if you do not get one of the top 3 mentioned?
I don't think you should punt 2nd base and SS. You need to choose one or the other to punt. Again, there will be a post about this in the coming weeks.
4. Regarding 3B, my goal is to draft someone from the group Rodriguez, Wright, Longoria, Youkilis, Ramirez depending how the draft falls. No one really excites me after that if I do not get one of these 5 mentioned. Chipper Jones not mentioned, well I'm not sure about him. What do you think about drafting a 3rd baseman?
3rd base you need to be more aggressive because if you don't get a decent 3rd baseman you're digging yourself a decent sized hole vs. your leaguemates.
5. Regarding building outfield depth, this sort of ties in with drafting a starting pitching staff in my eyes because I have a dilemma on drafting my outfielders and building a starting staff in say rounds 6 through the 18th or so. When do you continue drafting players in the outfield after the top ones are gone like Quentin, Crawford, Rios, Carlos Lee, Jason Bay, Nick Markaikas to name a few and when to draft a starter like say a Shields, Dempster, Wainright, Jared Weaver, Ricky Nolasco to name a few. Now I'm sure i am leaving some names out but you get the idea. When drafting in the middle rounds when should you grab Victorino as opposed to Liriano for example. It obviously depends on what your team looks like at that point and what is still on the board but this is a MIDDLE ROUND DILEMMA on how to draft in these rounds based on how mocks are going? What do you think about building the depth in your outfield.
I concentrate on my outfield. You need depth. Everyone's going to have at least 5 of these guys, you don't want someone like Milledge being your second outfielder.
6. NOW, regarding SAVES, I will probably not get Rodriguez, Papelbon, Rivera, Nathan, or Lidge as they will go earlier than I would draft them. The dilemma is what round do you draft your first closer in? Should you try to atleast grab your first one from the group of say Marmol, Wood, Valverde, Fuentes to name a few. Then maybe wait until late and grab maybe a couple of guys from the group of say Broxton, Morrow, Ziegler, Capps, and Wilson to name a few or do you wait even longer and grab a Heath Bell or Chad Qualls. Do you like to grab closers early and grab 2 or 3? What is your strategy with saves? I will usually wait and not take closers too early.
Take one mid-level closer then grab every closer you can once your other spots are looking solid. In other words, grab every crappy closer you can. You'll be surprised how valuable they are once the draft is over. No one was drafting Gregg or Wilson or etc last year and they were fine for saves.
7. PUNT, did I hear PUNT? I am probably definitely punting on catchers as McCann, Mauer, Marton, Soto, and Martinez will go earlier than Iwill draft them. What is your strategy? If Ianetta, Doumit or Shoppach falls far enough I will probably grab them. Otherwise, I will wait and try to grab maybe R. Hernandez, Napoli, Clement really late and see what happens. Catcher does not concern me too much. What is your strategy for drafting a catcher?
I'm beginning to think you're punting every position. Joking. Yeah, punt catcher and grab one of the guys you mention.

EDIT: Typo. Word.
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

Headbustaz

Re: Drafting Strategies for 5th Round and beyond....

Postby Headbustaz » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:50 pm

Nah. I want a SS or 2B in the first two rounds and hopefully a 3B also in the top 5 rounds. 1B has more depth so not worried there. I agree on outfield. I will try to stack the lineup with OF after middle infielders. My point was you might not get a 2B and SS in the first few rounds and have to wait a while on one of those. Just looking for vantage points if you don't get one of these players. I would really only punt on catchers and closers.

Return to “Fantasy Baseball Drafts Discussion”