Mock Draft 5 X 5 10 Team

Discuss your mock drafts, your real drafts, what's on draft... Anything to do with drafting is found here.
Headbustaz

Mock Draft 5 X 5 10 Team

Postby Headbustaz » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:44 am

Looking for feedback on mock draft

Final Roster
Pos Name Team Pick
C Matt Wieters BAL R11 P3 Comment
C Ramon Hernandez CIN R23 P3 Comment
1B Pablo Sandoval SF R22 P8 Comment
2B Dan Uggla FLA R7 P3 Comment
SS Michael Young TEX R9 P3 Comment
SS Jason Bartlett TB R21 P3 Comment
3B Alex Rodriguez NYY R1 P3 Comment
3B Aubrey Huff BAL R5 P3 Comment
OF Matt Holliday OAK R2 P8 Comment
OF Carlos Beltran NYM R3 P3 Comment
OF Matt Kemp LA R4 P8 Comment
OF Nate McLouth PIT R6 P8 Comment
OF Jayson Werth PHI R14 P8 Comment
OF Milton Bradley CHC R17 P3 Comment
SP Ervin Santana ANA R8 P8 Comment
SP Jon Lester BOS R10 P8 Comment
SP Carlos Zambrano CHC R12 P8 Comment
SP Ricky Nolasco FLA R13 P3 Comment
SP Matt Garza TB R18 P8 Comment
SP Andrew Sonnanstine TB R20 P8 Comment
RP Brian Wilson SF R15 P3 Comment
RP Kerry Wood CLE R16 P8 Comment
RP Joey Devine OAK R19 P3 Comment

Grey

Re: Mock Draft 5 X 5 10 Team

Postby Grey » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:37 am

Looking for feedback on mock draft

Final Roster
Pos Name Team Pick
C Matt Wieters BAL R11 P3 Comment
C Ramon Hernandez CIN R23 P3 Comment
3B Alex Rodriguez NYY R1 P3 Comment
OF Matt Holliday OAK R2 P8 Comment
OF Carlos Beltran NYM R3 P3 Comment
OF Matt Kemp LA R4 P8 Comment
OF Nate McLouth PIT R6 P8 Comment
OF Jayson Werth PHI R14 P8 Comment
OF Milton Bradley CHC R17 P3 Comment
SP Ervin Santana ANA R8 P8 Comment
SP Jon Lester BOS R10 P8 Comment
SP Carlos Zambrano CHC R12 P8 Comment
SP Ricky Nolasco FLA R13 P3 Comment
SP Matt Garza TB R18 P8 Comment
SP Andrew Sonnanstine TB R20 P8 Comment
RP Brian Wilson SF R15 P3 Comment
RP Kerry Wood CLE R16 P8 Comment
RP Joey Devine OAK R19 P3 Comment
Be careful on Wieters, I'm not sure if he's going to be starting. I think if anything the O's might pull what the Rays did last year with Longoria. Hold him down for a couple of weeks to a month. With that said...

I'm not a huge fan of these guys:

Sandoval I like as a catcher and a bit as a Corner guy, but not as a 1st baseman. I'd be careful about punting 1st base, which is what it seems like you did.

Your outfield is great, obviously it didn't hurt that you punted 1st. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some quality OFs that went late after you already had it filled up.

I like your pitching staff a lot, very solid. Overall, I'd say your team's a 3rd place team going into the season, so with some in-season improvements you could contend with this team.
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

Headbustaz

Postby Headbustaz » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:08 am

Thanks for your feedback Grey. I am fairly new to fantasy baseball (have played FF) but am an avid researcher and have educated myself quite a bit on strategy from various sites and feel like I am getting a handle on the strategy for FB. With that being said I am still a novice but always pay attention to waivers and try to improve through trades so I am pretty active as far as my team(s) go. I did not intend to punt 1B that's how it worked out. Strategy wise should you wait 'til about thge 8th round or so to draft a pitcher. When is the ideal time to draft closers and starters (obviously depends on how the draft is going at that point)? Should you grab 1 or 2 pitchers around the 8-10th round then go back to position players and grab any remaining power hitters and or talented guys for depth and stats then go back to pitching? Also, when should you go for a catcher and if you don't get the top 2 or 3 catchers should you wait? When I draft (for real) I always track the other teams drafts to see if they have drafted a position already (i.e. if everyone already had a SS or 2B, I could wait a little longer before drafting that position) so should you track the players you are drafting based on their stats so you are covering all areas (i.e. Avg, R, HR, RBI, SB, W, ERA, WHIP, S, K) that way you are balanced? Or is that getting too bogged down since you only have about 60 seconds per pick and there is a lot of information to digest plus pay attention to who others are drafting. Sorry for the lengthy post, I am just trying to develop the best strategy for who to draft and when to draft them? Also, have you used the site (fantasybaseballmoty.com)? What do you think of their MOTY system? I'll do some more mocks and post them to see how I am doing strategywise. Thanks again for your feedback. Much appreciated.

Grey

Postby Grey » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:31 am

Thanks for your feedback Grey. I am fairly new to fantasy baseball (have played FF) but am an avid researcher and have educated myself quite a bit on strategy from various sites and feel like I am getting a handle on the strategy for FB. With that being said I am still a novice but always pay attention to waivers and try to improve through trades so I am pretty active as far as my team(s) go. I did not intend to punt 1B that's how it worked out. Strategy wise should you wait 'til about the 8th round or so to draft a pitcher. When is the ideal time to draft closers and starters (obviously depends on how the draft is going at that point)? Should you grab 1 or 2 pitchers around the 8-10th round then go back to position players and grab any remaining power hitters and or talented guys for depth and stats then go back to pitching? Also, when should you go for a catcher and if you don't get the top 2 or 3 catchers should you wait? When I draft (for real) I always track the other teams drafts to see if they have drafted a position already (i.e. if everyone already had a SS or 2B, I could wait a little longer before drafting that position) so should you track the players you are drafting based on their stats so you are covering all areas (i.e. Avg, R, HR, RBI, SB, W, ERA, WHIP, S, K) that way you are balanced? Or is that getting too bogged down since you only have about 60 seconds per pick and there is a lot of information to digest plus pay attention to who others are drafting. Sorry for the lengthy post, I am just trying to develop the best strategy for who to draft and when to draft them? Also, have you used the site (fantasybaseballmoty.com)? What do you think of their MOTY system? I'll do some more mocks and post them to see how I am doing strategywise. Thanks again for your feedback. Much appreciated.

First off, no problem at all. Glad I could be of some help and post as many mocks as you like.

I have no idea what the MOTY system is or what it is. Looked like they were charging for information I give away for free.

I usually draft my first starter around the 6th round. But as you might have saw in my last mock draft, I drafted Peavy in the 4th round because I think that's good value. In the end, that's what you're looking for -- good value. So I wouldn't get caught up in I have to take a pitcher in this round but not before that round. You should be drafting based on value.

Closers are another story. Unless someone really falls (think Papelbon in the 9th or 10th rounds) I don't touch them. Saves are too easy to find later. Last year, you could've had Soria, Wilson and Fuentes and done fine and not spent much of any draft picks on them. it's like that every year with saves.

Catchers are a mixture of closers and starters.

Also, read this -- Fantasy Baseball Drafting Strategy --- it will be getting updated in the near future but it's a good jumping off point.
Grey Albright

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

Steve
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Steve » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:15 am

Grey, assuming you do wait until the 6th to draft a starter and that a draft has gone largely to 'form', who are the some of the guys you might be looking to take?
This IS my f**king outlet!

Grey

Postby Grey » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:46 pm

Can I punt this until Monday (my time) when the top 20 starters post will be live on the site and this question should be answered?
Grey Albright

Thanks!

Steve
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Steve » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:29 pm

Of course.

Steve
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Steve » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:54 am

Can I punt this until Monday (my time) when the top 20 starters post will be live on the site and this question should be answered?
Just read the post ("New Zealand - first to see not only the new day, but also the new Grey Albright post") and yes, the question has been answered.

And answered in much the way I expected, what's more.

Return to “Fantasy Baseball Drafts Discussion”