Madison Bumgarner

News, Injuries, Rosters - All baseball all the time!
harrisonobeid

Madison Bumgarner

Postby harrisonobeid » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:28 pm

The World Series hero has started this season with his own a cappella version of 'Drop it Like it's Hot.' Roughly 25% of owners have dropped him in CBS leagues. 'Why,' I pondered. Well, instead of going out and getting hammered this evening, I decided to curl up on the couch with a hot cup of cocoa, log on to fangraphs and answer my own pondering. Nerdy for a Friday night, but whatevs. You've done the same, I guarantee.

Bumgarner has thus far sported a 6+ ERA, roughly 4.3 IPs per start, and has seen his K/BB ratio cut in half. What is the meaning of this disgrace? Well, I found the good news is that he has managed to keep his GB% the same as it was last year. His FB% this season is low, around 30%, while his FB/HR ratio is the same (8.3%). The real problem seems to be that when Bumgarner does get hit, he gets hit hard. His LD% is 24.1%, which is 8 points higher than it was last season.

Part of his regression is because his BABIP has been higher than normal, which you would have to believe will regress in the future. While his ERA is 6.17, his FIP suggests that it should be closer to 4.1. Still not quite as good as his 3.00 ERA from last year, but the kid is 21 in his sophomore season in the bigs. I'll take a 4.1 ERA from him over the course of the season, especially when he gets starts against teams like the Pirates (whom he proved capable of dominating in his last start.)

The one big positive we can take away from the Bum is that his stuff is still there. This season Bumgarner has actually seen his average fastball velocity go up by 1.3 MPH (92.3 MPH overall). The real problem is that he's not mixing his peripheral pitches in the same way that he did last year. So far this season, he has relied more heavily on his slider than he has on his curveball and change. He threw the slider 20% of the time last season compared to 28% this season. In 2010 he worked his change in 10% of the time, this year it's only 3.5%. His curve went from being used 12% of the time to 7%. Fastball usage is roughly the same. On top of this he's throwing strikes at the same percentage he did last season.

There are many who will give up on him, and with good reason. I for one will hold on for just a little longer.
The Chicken McStudpiece Value Meal (12 team, H2H roto: AVG, SLG, RBIs, Rs, SBs, BBs/KOs, ERA, WHIP, K/9, Ws - Ls, SVs, IPs)

C - Hank Conger
1B - Kevin Youkilis
2B - Gordon Beckham
3B - David Wright
SS - Elvis Andrus
OF - Andrew McStudpiece
OF - Justin Upton
OF - Carlos Quentin
U - Jay Bruce
SP - Jered Weaver
SP - Cole Hamels
SP - Chad Billingsley
SP - Daniel Hudson
SP - Madison Bumgarner
RP - John Axford
RP - Jordan Walden
BN - Adam Jones
BN - Geovany Soto
BN - Nate McClouth
BN - Domonic Brown
BN - Brandon Belt
BN - Jose Tabata
BN - Justin Masterson
BN - Alexi Ogando
BN - Michael Pineda
BN - Erik Bedard
BN - Kyle Drabek
BN - Kyle McClellan

Grey

Re: Madison Bumgarner

Postby Grey » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:40 am

Good breakdown, thanks for sharing!
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

Return to “Baseball - General Player Discussion”