LOGIN

Eff it, I’ll get in the hype circle and mosh around a little.  Bryce Harper wasn’t listed in my top 300 for 2012 fantasy baseball.  He wasn’t listed in my top 80 outfielders for 2012 fantasy baseball.  I did drop a Bryce Harper fantasy on you for a rookie nookie outlook thingie-ma-whosie-boobie.  He wasn’t included in my (fill-in any other URL link to another page — matter of fact, just click around the site.  Each click brings in 1/18th of a penny revenue!  Look, ma, I just made half a nickel!)  I don’t think we see Bryce Harper to start the year.  I’m not even sure if we see Bryce Harper by June.  I don’t think so.  As said in my Harper post, “I’m guessing (he shows up in the majors) some time after July 1st as the team starts to fade and they need to pull the ol’ “Hey, look at this new shiny toy” trick.  Guess it’s better than the ol’ “Shine a flashlight on a wall” trick, unless you’re trying to get Pedroia to crash into a wall.  Harper was signed by the Nats for $9.9 million (no word on how much of that goes for royalties to The Ultimate Warrior), and they want him to put asses in seats on Strasburg’s off days.”  And that’s me quoting me!  So what’s changed?  For one, the Nats made some offseason moves to better their team (and maybe better the A’s a little too).  For two, I don’t think this changes Harper’s ETA.  The Nats are selling a can of “We Got Promise” corn saying Harper is starting the year with them, but I think they’re still just trying to sell tickets.  If you lived in the Washington, D.C. area, I’d move, but I’d also buy a ticket to an early season home game if I thought Harper may be there in April.  So, if I don’t think we see him until July, what makes Bryce Harper a 2012 fantasy baseball sleeper?

The allure.  It’s like how all those stunods got on board with Hale-Bopp and decided to leave their earth skins back in San Diego.  The promise of a better tomorrow is a lot for even the most grounded individuals to handle.  Remember, no one’s happy.  Fill people with some promise and a bill of unknown goods and they think they’ve discovered a tunnel from Vegas to The Borgata.  In the final rounds, you can either take Yunel Escobar, who might actually be useful to your team, but have no value to anyone else but you, or you can take Bryce Harper.  If Bryce Harper somehow/someway/some-something makes the ball club, everyone will go looney tunes talking in Elmer Fudd voices and howling at the moon.  Then you can capitalize on the biggest craze since the Dutch first set eyes on tulips and sell Harper for a lot more than he’ll be worth.  For that reason alone, I’d take a late round flyer on the “We Got Promise” corn, too.