LOGIN

Yahoo’s fantasy baseball doesn’t count a one game playoff, no matter the format.  It would be the Keyser Söze of regular season games, I suppose.  ESPN, on the other hand, does count it.  So that means only one thing.  You need to pick up everyone from potential one game playoff teams before your leaguemates, if it could mean a championship for you.  If the season would’ve ended yesterday, the Giants and Braves would’ve had to play one more game.  If that’s the case next week, that would put Derek Lowe and Bumgarner on the mound.  If the Padres have to play one more game, Chris Young’s ticket would get punched.  Chacin, if the Rockies can put the Rock in Rocktober.  This, of course, wouldn’t mean these guys would all go nine innings.  If any of these clubs make the “One day is all you got” portion of our program, then all hands would be on deck.  First sign of trouble, the starter gets pulled and another starter (usually the guy with the most rest) goes in.  So then you would have a starter on three days rest pitching or a long man out of the bullpen.

As for hitting, the sooner you can grab the McLouths, Melkys, Cody Rosses, Fowlers, etc. etc. etc., the sooner your leaguemates can’t.  In redraft leagues, I’d start looking at these guys no later than Friday.  Grab all possible unlikely heroes, if you need any hitting stats.  That’s right, this may be the only time you see me fully endorse picking up Eli Whiteside, Todd Helton and David Ross.  Even David Eckstein.  Well… No, even him.  Most importantly, if your opponent needs any stats at all, block them from getting them.  So if this means owning Peter Moylan for no reason other than you’re afraid your opponent might get a vulture win and beat you, then own Moylan, in the non-biblical sense, of course.