Losing my first post-ginity...

Look at my kick ass team! Look at my sorry ass team! Could someone look at my team and tell me what they think is right/wrong?
drob

Losing my first post-ginity...

Postby drob » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:02 pm

So this is my first post. I read the blog daily, and finally decided you might be smart enough to help me out. I have a handful of questions, hopefully thats kosher.

I play in a 12 team keeper league. It's 8X8. Extra hitting cats are OBP, SLG, and Hits. Extra Pitching are QS, BAA, and CG. We keep 12 players from year to year with no restrictions on how long we can keep them. After a horrible start (injuries and poor draft) I started to trade away players for draft picks. Well, yadda, yadda, yadda, I ended up squeaking into the playoffs and finishing in 3rd place. Now, I'm trying to figure out what my teams weaknesses are and what I'll be needing to draft next year. I don't know everybody else's keepers yet, but have a good idea of who will be available.

My team:
C - Wieters
1B - M. Cabrera
2B - I. Kinsler
3B -
SS - J. Reyes
OF - R. Braun
OF - G. Sizemore
OF - J. Bruce
OF -
UTIL - M. Teixeira
SP - T. Lincecum
SP - C.C. Sabathia
SP - A. Wainwright
SP - B. Webb

Obviously, I've done well in aquiring top talent, but I have yet to win this league. With these keepers and the 13 draft picks I have in the first 7 rounds, I want this to be the year. SO...

Question 1: What is the biggest weakness I should address with the draft? Last year I struggled in OBP heavily...also I'll be losing the drunk fatty Miggy Cabrera's 3B eligibility.

Question 2: Who are some deep 3B sleepers next year. I'm pretty sure most 3B on the tier sheet through Michael Young will be kept.

Question 3: I have #1 overall pick. Do i use it on Strasburg or Jason Heyward? Or Do I try to get the best available player who will give me a whole year's worth of stats in order to go for it all this year? If I try to trade it, what should I be looking for? It is also worth noting that I have the #3 and #7 overall picks as well. The rest of my draft is 2 picks in the 3rd, 2 in the 4th, 3 in the 5th, 2 in the 6th, and 1 in the 7th.

Welp there's the story of my life. thanks for taking my post-ginity you dirty old men...

Grey

Re: Losing my first post-ginity...

Postby Grey » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:20 pm

So this is my first post. I read the blog daily, and finally decided you might be smart enough to help me out. I have a handful of questions, hopefully thats kosher.

I play in a 12 team keeper league. It's 8X8. Extra hitting cats are OBP, SLG, and Hits. Extra Pitching are QS, BAA, and CG. We keep 12 players from year to year with no restrictions on how long we can keep them. After a horrible start (injuries and poor draft) I started to trade away players for draft picks. Well, yadda, yadda, yadda, I ended up squeaking into the playoffs and finishing in 3rd place. Now, I'm trying to figure out what my teams weaknesses are and what I'll be needing to draft next year. I don't know everybody else's keepers yet, but have a good idea of who will be available.

My team:
C - Wieters
1B - M. Cabrera
2B - I. Kinsler
3B -
SS - J. Reyes
OF - R. Braun
OF - G. Sizemore
OF - J. Bruce
OF -
UTIL - M. Teixeira
SP - T. Lincecum
SP - C.C. Sabathia
SP - A. Wainwright
SP - B. Webb

Obviously, I've done well in aquiring top talent, but I have yet to win this league. With these keepers and the 13 draft picks I have in the first 7 rounds, I want this to be the year. SO...

Question 1: What is the biggest weakness I should address with the draft? Last year I struggled in OBP heavily...also I'll be losing the drunk fatty Miggy Cabrera's 3B eligibility.

Question 2: Who are some deep 3B sleepers next year. I'm pretty sure most 3B on the tier sheet through Michael Young will be kept.

Question 3: I have #1 overall pick. Do i use it on Strasburg or Jason Heyward? Or Do I try to get the best available player who will give me a whole year's worth of stats in order to go for it all this year? If I try to trade it, what should I be looking for? It is also worth noting that I have the #3 and #7 overall picks as well. The rest of my draft is 2 picks in the 3rd, 2 in the 4th, 3 in the 5th, 2 in the 6th, and 1 in the 7th.

Welp there's the story of my life. thanks for taking my post-ginity you dirty old men...
#1 & 2 -- I could see how Bruce and Sizemore could hurt you in OBP, but I have faith they'll be better this year. At least they should be. Your weakness is, as you probably know, your 3rd base hole. I love Ian Stewart this year but he's not going to do you any favors on OBP. Chipper can help there immensely, I doubt whoever has him is going to keep him. Also, Gordon Beckham could be a future stud. For deeper sleepers, Gordon, McGehee, Headley and Gamel, in that order. Though I wouldn't trust Gamel to be a starter until he's given the job.

#3 -- Take the best player available for a year's stats. Though it's hard to say without knowing who exactly is out there.

Glad to pop your cherry.
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

GopherDay

Postby GopherDay » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:43 pm

What do you think about Davis as a post hype sleeper?
Because Gophers don't have a day...

Grey

Postby Grey » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:47 pm

Yeah, Davis is getting his own sleeper post in December. I like him.
Grey Albright

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

GopherDay

Postby GopherDay » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:11 pm

Great, can't wait!
Because Gophers don't have a day...

drob

Postby drob » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:28 am

I thought I'd come on here and update this scenario. My big questions heading into the draft were how do I get a 3B, and what should I do with Strasburg and heyward.

I worked a trade out (which i believe you probably advised my trade partner to do...) where I gave up teixera and Oswalt for Wright. I overpaid to fix the problem, but it was necessary.

Also, I passed on Heyward with the 1st pick hoping I could land him at the third pick. It didn't happen. I took Bobby Abreu 1st, and will probably regret it for the next 10 years. Oh well, he'll help my team alot...

I also made a draft day trade to get Adrian gonzalez. My team looks pretty beastly, and i'll be shocked if I'm not in the finals.

I was also able to fill out quite the starting rotation with all the early picks I managed to acquire the previous years...here's how it shaked out:

C - Wieters
1B - Miggy Cabrera
2B - Kinsler
SS - Reyes
3B - Wright
OF - Braun
OF - Sizemore
OF Abreu
OF Bruce/ R. davis - depending on if I need power or speed in a given week
UTIL A. Gonzalez
BN - Tejada
BN - C. Davis
BN - Prado

SP - Lincecum
SP - Sabathia
SP - Wainwright
SP - Nolasco
SP - Wandy Rodriguez
SP - Brandon webb
SP - Rich Harden
SP - Clay BUchholz
RP - Aardsmaa
RP - Mike Gonzalez
RP - Hoffman

thanks for your help

Grey

Postby Grey » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:11 am

I thought I'd come on here and update this scenario. My big questions heading into the draft were how do I get a 3B, and what should I do with Strasburg and heyward.

I worked a trade out (which i believe you probably advised my trade partner to do...) where I gave up teixera and Oswalt for Wright. I overpaid to fix the problem, but it was necessary.

Also, I passed on Heyward with the 1st pick hoping I could land him at the third pick. It didn't happen. I took Bobby Abreu 1st, and will probably regret it for the next 10 years. Oh well, he'll help my team alot...

I also made a draft day trade to get Adrian gonzalez. My team looks pretty beastly, and i'll be shocked if I'm not in the finals.

I was also able to fill out quite the starting rotation with all the early picks I managed to acquire the previous years...here's how it shaked out:

C - Wieters
1B - Miggy Cabrera
2B - Kinsler
SS - Reyes
3B - Wright
OF - Braun
OF - Sizemore
OF Abreu
OF Bruce/ R. davis - depending on if I need power or speed in a given week
UTIL A. Gonzalez
BN - Tejada
BN - C. Davis
BN - Prado

SP - Lincecum
SP - Sabathia
SP - Wainwright
SP - Nolasco
SP - Wandy Rodriguez
SP - Brandon webb
SP - Rich Harden
SP - Clay BUchholz
RP - Aardsmaa
RP - Mike Gonzalez
RP - Hoffman

thanks for your help
Tejada and Prado seem like a waste of time. Your hitting looks tremendous though. Really stacked. Hard to imagine you not doing well with those guys. Then you have Lincecum and CC -- Yeah, I think you're gonna be fine.
Grey Albright

Thanks!

Return to “Roster Rants, Raves, and Review”