stynyr's team needs help

Look at my kick ass team! Look at my sorry ass team! Could someone look at my team and tell me what they think is right/wrong?
Grey

Re: stynyr's team needs help

Postby Grey » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:31 am

Hey Grey,

I'm back for Round 2 this season. I did a mock last night. Here are the results. Before I go into what I was trying to do I was hoping you could take a look and let me know if this team looks strong, weak, or just eh.

Twelve teams,

Here's the order I drafted them:

1. Hanley Ramirez (Fla - SS)
2. Ryan Zimmerman (Was - 3B)
3. Adrian Gonzalez (SD - 1B)
4. Nick Markakis (Bal - OF)
5. Dan Haren (Ari - SP)
6. Matt Cain (SF - SP)
7. Ian Stewart (Col - 2B,3B)
8. Ricky Nolasco (Fla - SP)
9. Cole Hamels (Phi - SP)
10. Hunter Pence (Hou - OF)
11. Carlos Beltran (NYM - OF)
12. Chad Qualls (Ari - RP)
13. Mike Napoli (LAA - C)
14. Frank Francisco (Tex - RP)
15. Erick Aybar (LAA - SS)
16. Fernando Rodney (LAA - RP)
17. David Price (TB - SP)
18. James Loney (LAD - 1B)
19. Derek Lowe (Atl - SP)
20. Takashi Saito (Atl - RP)
21. Jeremy Affeldt (SF - RP)
22. Cameron Maybin (Fla - OF)
23. Joel Pineiro (LAA - SP)

c-Napoli
1b-Gonzalez
2b-Stewart
3b-Zimmerman
ss-Ramirez
of-Markakis
of-Pence
of-Beltran
util-Aybar
util-Loney
bn-Maybin

sp-Haren
sp-Cain
sp-Nolasco
sp-Hamels
sp-Price
sp-Lowe
sp-Pineiro

rp-Qualls
rp-Francisco
rp-Rodney
rp-Saito
rp-Affeldt
Don't like the end of your draft, from round 15 on. What's with all of the setup men? Were the closers taken already? Is this a Holds league? Trying to vulture saves? Don't love the last two starters you took either. Don't love your two utility men either. These are actually small grievances though. The core of your team is very solid.
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

stynyr
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby stynyr » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:43 am

Hey Grey,

I'm back for Round 2 this season. I did a mock last night. Here are the results. Before I go into what I was trying to do I was hoping you could take a look and let me know if this team looks strong, weak, or just eh.

Twelve teams,

Here's the order I drafted them:

1. Hanley Ramirez (Fla - SS)
2. Ryan Zimmerman (Was - 3B)
3. Adrian Gonzalez (SD - 1B)
5. Dan Haren (Ari - SP)
6. Matt Cain (SF - SP)
7. Ian Stewart (Col - 2B,3B)
8. Ricky Nolasco (Fla - SP)
9. Cole Hamels (Phi - SP)
10. Hunter Pence (Hou - OF)
11. Carlos Beltran (NYM - OF)
12. Chad Qualls (Ari - RP)
13. Mike Napoli (LAA - C)
14. Frank Francisco (Tex - RP)
15. Erick Aybar (LAA - SS)
16. Fernando Rodney (LAA - RP)
17. David Price (TB - SP)
18. James Loney (LAD - 1B)
19. Derek Lowe (Atl - SP)
20. Takashi Saito (Atl - RP)
21. Jeremy Affeldt (SF - RP)
22. Cameron Maybin (Fla - OF)
23. Joel Pineiro (LAA - SP)

c-Napoli
1b-Gonzalez
2b-Stewart
3b-Zimmerman
ss-Ramirez
of-Markakis
of-Pence
of-Beltran
util-Aybar
util-Loney
bn-Maybin

sp-Haren
sp-Cain
sp-Nolasco
sp-Hamels
sp-Price
sp-Lowe
sp-Pineiro

rp-Qualls
rp-Francisco
rp-Rodney
rp-Saito
rp-Affeldt
Don't like the end of your draft, from round 15 on. What's with all of the setup men? Were the closers taken already? Is this a Holds league? Trying to vulture saves? Don't love the last two starters you took either. Don't love your two utility men either. These are actually small grievances though. The core of your team is very solid.
Yea, for the most part the closers were gone. No, it wasn't a holds league. I was trying to go with the 'grab as much value as I could' approach. I was trying to grab as many starters as I could - when you say the last two starters I assume you mean Lowe and Pineiro?I was trying to go with ten batters and the rest pitchers. I lost track of that a bit as I watched most of the well-known batters get taken so I got nervous and just took whoever was there. If the core looks okay then I guess that's good.
10-team (2 division), H2H, 5x5, keeping 5
c-Pierszinski
1b-Cuddyer
2b-Hill
3b-Longoria
ss-Reyes
of-Werth,Jennings, Choo
util-Byrd
util-Alex Gordon
sp-Kershaw, Harvey, Minor, Bailey, Ryu, Jose Fernandez, Garza, Kazmir
rp-Soriano, Janssen, Holland
dl-CarGo, Moore
n/a-Braun

stynyr
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby stynyr » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:45 am

Grey,

Last night I was talking with a friend of mine who is in my league. He's a pretty fantasy baseball savvy and pretty knowledgeable about baseball in general. He happened to be doing a mock draft as we were talking and he was dictating to me who he was getting and when. So, I said something like, "haha, these guys are idiots! send me the results when you're done so I can see who they took." It turns out that we will be following pretty much the exact same strategy come draft day. I've been in the same league for the last five years so I know the tendencies of everyone for the most part, and it seems he is probably the only other one that will follow a strategy similar to what you suggest. My question is, do I adjust for this? If so, how?

EDIT:

Here is his mock draft:

1. Chase Utley (Phi - 2B)
2. Carl Crawford (TB - OF)
3. José Reyes (NYM - SS)
5. Aramis Ramírez (ChC - 3B)
6. Johan Santana (NYM - SP)
7. Andrew McCutchen (Pit - OF)
8. Tommy Hanson (Atl - SP)
9. Lance Berkman (Hou - 1B)
10. Matt Cain (SF - SP)
11. Chad Billingsley (LAD - SP)
12. Carlos Mármol (ChC - RP)
13. Francisco Rodríguez (NYM - RP)
14. Kurt Suzuki (Oak - C)
15. Roy Oswalt (Hou - SP)
16. Carlos Zambrano (ChC - SP)
17. James Loney (LAD - 1B)
18. Álex Ríos (CWS - OF)
19. David Aardsma (Sea - RP)
20. Bobby Jenks (CWS - RP)
21. Max Scherzer (Det - SP)
22. Ted Lilly (ChC - SP)
23. Johnny Cueto (Cin - SP)

Not unlike my mock, eh?
c-Pierszinski
1b-Cuddyer
2b-Hill
3b-Longoria
ss-Reyes
of-Werth,Jennings, Choo
util-Byrd
util-Alex Gordon
dl-CarGo, Moore
n/a-Braun

Grey

Postby Grey » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:23 am

How do you adjust to someone who knows what they're doing? That's funny... I think you'll be fine. People always know what they're doing in my leagues, it works out okay.
Grey Albright

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

stynyr
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby stynyr » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:47 am

How do you adjust to someone who knows what they're doing? That's funny... I think you'll be fine. People always know what they're doing in my leagues, it works out okay.
So, what am I supposed to do with this bottle of chloroform, blindfold, and length of rope? And what about all of time I've spent this morning cutting these menacing words out of magazines and eloquently piecing into a well phrased threat letter!?
c-Pierszinski
1b-Cuddyer
2b-Hill
3b-Longoria
ss-Reyes
of-Werth,Jennings, Choo
util-Byrd
util-Alex Gordon
dl-CarGo, Moore
n/a-Braun

Grey

Postby Grey » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:55 am

Ha!
Grey Albright

Thanks!

stynyr
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby stynyr » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:26 am

Ok, second mock. This draft was 10 teams - the same number of teams as my real draft. Let me know what you think.

2. Adrián González (SD - 1B)
3. Kevin Youkilis (Bos - 1B,3B)
4. Derek Jeter (NYY - SS)
5. Nick Markakis (Bal - OF)
6. Justin Verlander (Det - SP)
7. Carlos Lee (Hou - OF)
8. Matt Cain (SF - SP)
9. Ricky Nolasco (Fla - SP)
10. Carlos Quentin (CWS - OF)
11. Cole Hamels (Phi - SP)
12. Edwin Jackson (Ari - SP)
13. Carlos Mármol (ChC - RP)
14. Mike Napoli (LAA - C)
15. Brian Fuentes (LAA - RP)
16. Vladimir Guerrero (Tex - Util)
17. Rajai Davis (Oak - OF)
18. Frank Francisco (Tex - RP)
19. Jonathan Sánchez (SF - SP)
20. J.D. Drew (Bos - OF)
21. Fernando Rodney (LAA - RP)
22. Brad Lidge (Phi - RP)
23. Matt Capps (Was - RP)

I know you'll be honest either way, but I'm actually pretty satisfied with this team and would probably look to duplicate it in my real draft. I wanted Tex or Cabrera for 1b and they were each taken within the two picks before me in the 2nd round. I also was going to get Zimmerman for 3rd but he was take two picks before me again, so I did what I could.
c-Pierszinski
1b-Cuddyer
2b-Hill
3b-Longoria
ss-Reyes
of-Werth,Jennings, Choo
util-Byrd
util-Alex Gordon
dl-CarGo, Moore
n/a-Braun

Grey

Postby Grey » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:41 am

Ok, second mock. This draft was 10 teams - the same number of teams as my real draft. Let me know what you think.

7. Carlos Lee (Hou - OF)
8. Matt Cain (SF - SP)
20. J.D. Drew (Bos - OF)

I know you'll be honest either way, but I'm actually pretty satisfied with this team and would probably look to duplicate it in my real draft. I wanted Tex or Cabrera for 1b and they were each taken within the two picks before me in the 2nd round. I also was going to get Zimmerman for 3rd but he was take two picks before me again, so I did what I could.
I think the team looks pretty solid. Only issue is I think you're pretty short on steals.
Grey Albright

Thanks!

stynyr
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby stynyr » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:07 am

Hey Grey,

I just found out the draft order for my 10 team league. I will be drafting third. I know you like to have power at the corners and I tend to feel the same way, but should I be passing up on Utley for someone like A-Rod? On that second mock (posted below) I didn't, I took Utley and the team turned out to be pretty solid so I'd like to try and duplicate that in the real deal. Also, I just want to know if there was any other area of the draft I could have improved upon that you can tell? The league looks to be pretty competitive this year. Thanks.

7. Carlos Lee (Hou - OF)
8. Matt Cain (SF - SP)
20. J.D. Drew (Bos - OF)

Only difference is were going with 22 spots instead of 23.

5x5, H2H with two divisions of five teams each.
c-Pierszinski
1b-Cuddyer
2b-Hill
3b-Longoria
ss-Reyes
of-Werth,Jennings, Choo
util-Byrd
util-Alex Gordon
dl-CarGo, Moore
n/a-Braun

Grey

Postby Grey » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:57 am

Hey Grey,

I just found out the draft order for my 10 team league. I will be drafting third. I know you like to have power at the corners and I tend to feel the same way, but should I be passing up on Utley for someone like A-Rod? On that second mock (posted below) I didn't, I took Utley and the team turned out to be pretty solid so I'd like to try and duplicate that in the real deal. Also, I just want to know if there was any other area of the draft I could have improved upon that you can tell? The league looks to be pretty competitive this year. Thanks.

7. Carlos Lee (Hou - OF)
8. Matt Cain (SF - SP)
20. J.D. Drew (Bos - OF)

Only difference is were going with 22 spots instead of 23.

5x5, H2H with two divisions of five teams each.
I have Utley third overall, so I'm fine with him third. This team looks fine overall, might be a little light on power since Youk, Jeter and Markakis are all a little light for their position.
Grey Albright

Thanks!

Return to “Roster Rants, Raves, and Review”