It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Who is your team MVP and LVP
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:52 pm 

Hopefully if you're in a playoff league, you're still battling for the title, and if you're just in the final week, you are either winning or still in the hunt.

Looking back, who has been the guy who's carried your team? And who's been the assholenaut who's been a pain in Uranus?

For my team, 16 team 6x6 league, the winners and losers are:

MVP: David Wright - He's the only hitter I never benched once. I have the most faith in him of all my hitters, with good reason. Oddly, the only guy I never benched until the end was Derrek Lee... Speaking of whom:

LVP: Derrek Lee - Statistically he wasn't the worst, but cuz of the lack of alternatives on the WW, I had to keep starting him everyday. Laroche and Blalock became available 2 weeks ago and I made the switch. Those 2 have more hrs for me in 2+ weeks than Lee had in the last 3+ months. Cash your paycheck and retire, dawg!

Cy Young: Cliff Lee. Almost had more wins by himself than Hamels and Peavy combined. I claimed him off waivers after another owner spotted started and dropped him after his 2nd start. Has a good case for being MVP as well. Without him, I don't win.

Anthony Young: Tie between Pedro Martinez and R Soriano. Pete's reputation made me hang on to him for too long. And I got sick of Soriano's nothing wrong with his arm but he can't pitch shit. Both of these picks were entirely of my own stupidity.

Key turning pts of season: Dropping Cust and Weeks. My BA went from .268 at the ASB to .279 now without those 2. Soriano being out for the year finally, Lugo getting hurt, and punting D Lee, additions by subtraction.

Post subject: Re: Who is your team MVP and LVP
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:59 pm 

This is an awesome post. I may use this format during the '08 recaps.

My personal MVP - Delgado/Cantu tie -- Made up for when I got Pronk'd!
LVP - Alex Gordon caused the most harm. I had a hard time letting go. Damn you, Gordon! When will you be as good as you should.
Cy Young- Volquez carried the weight for a lot of guys.
Cy Old -- Too many to choose really. I may never forgive Harang.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:04 am 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

MVP- Wright. Consistently a top ten bat, never cold long enough that you consider benching him. (Runner up- Hamilton, but his power has dropped of so drastically lately that he's only been helping with AVG.)

LVP- Tulo. Played him until he got hurt, only to be rewarded with a line like .190 AVG .480 OPS. Held him until he got hurt again, then dropped him, then another team picked him up and now he's hitting like it's 2007.

CY- Volquez. Carried my pitching for the first half, and then I packaged him with McCann and picked up Hanley, so Volquez's later troubles were not my own. Rivera was the CY of pitchers I kept around all year.

AY- Harang. Kept him around way too long. I kept watching his games and thinking, well, he's just giving up HRs, and his HR/FB rate is bound to drop. Turns out giving up HRs is not something I should approach so lightly.

C- Martin
1B- Rizzo
2B- Pedroia
3B- Miggy
SS- Zobrist
IF- Cuddyer
OF- Heyward
OF- Joyce
OF- Ethier
OF- Kelly Johnson
UTIL- Berkman
BN- Dee Gordon
BN- Frazier
DL= Ajax

SP-Zimmermann
SP-Peavy
RP-Chapman
RP-Holland
RP-Bell
RP-A. Bailey
P-Ryu
P-Cobb
P-Odorizzi
BN-McCarthy
BN- Milone
BN-Wheeler
BN-Gausman
DL- Lewis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:04 am 

MVP - Tim Lincecum. I know you're probably looking for batters here, but I had to piece together my batting lineup all season and no single player stood out for a great performance.

LVP - Prince Fielder. I can't hate on him TOO much, b/c his year was decent, but you expect more from a second round pick.

CY - Joakim Soria. Since I already gave Linc the MVP, this is fitting. Drafted him in the 12th round and he picked up slightly under half my saves. Juggled RP's all season otherwise - he was my rock.

AY - CC Sabathia. You're saying "WHAT!?!" But he started awful and I traded him straight up for Ortiz in the third week of April. Sabathia then went on to dominate the NL and Ortiz got injured and underperformed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:33 pm 

Speaking of Soria, in my league he was nearly the last closer picked. Him and Sherrill delivered great value.

As for me, I picked Soria-NO! waaaaaaaaay too early. I had my eye on F Cordero but then I read some dude's post on a forum and then got swayed to pick another dude. Jenks was there too but I never liked him for some reason, so I went with Soria-NO way too early. Totally dumb. Soria may have lasted another 60 picks or so after. I even picked Hoffman and P Martinez with Soria still on the board.

Just thought the Hoff was good for more svs than Soria and KC. I was banking on SD heavy this year with Peavy, Bell, and Hoff for W's, HLDs, and SVs.

Oops.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:44 pm 

I thought the Padres would win the World Series this year. Um, oops.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:07 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

MVP: Howard for me. By the end of the season, he delivered exactly what I drafted him for, even if his AVE in the first half just about drove me to the mad house. Did his best work just when I needed him to. Honourable mention to Ethier who was just incredible for me over the last few weeks (except when is wife had that damn baby).

LVP: Strange thing to say for a guy that stole 30, but Rios really killed me for a lot of the season (average AVE and pretty horrible OBP). That wasn't what I was hoping for with my 3rd round pick. Renteria was pretty awful too.

CY: I was relievers-only, so a bit of a tricky one, but Mo was awesome until I traded him away. Downs and T Buchholz were also very valuable, Buchholz especially because my league counted Holds and he was SP-eligible.

AY: Pat Neshek. Remember him? Automatic last year, hurt this year. Did nothing for me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:13 pm 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

MVP: PABST I bought low at the time (well, sort of, who new Hard Hittin' Carlos Quinten would keep it up) and it paid off in the second half.

LVP: Tulo, again I bought low but paid for it big time until the last quarter, but before I was just streaming whoever was the Reds SS du jour.

CY Young: Chad Billingsley, I got him for almost nothing, he was my first acquisition after the draft and his rough first couple of starts.

A. Young: Aaron Harang, I traded him early in the season in deal that netted me Lance Berkman, later when the other owner got tired of Harangs problems I picked hi off waivers, I don't think I ever started him, but I kept thinking he'd turn it around.

Wow, everything above revolves around trades, I guess I'm a shitty drafter or a negotiator extraordinaire, probably the former.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:27 pm 

For my 1st place team, the Gramercy Riffs...

MVP: Miggy Cabrera (1st Round, 7th Overall). Definitely not the most consistent on the team, but when he turned it on, he single handedly won matchups for me. Would use a low #1 on him again next year.
LVP: TIE, Nick Swisher (10th, 114th) & Rich Hill (12th, 138th). Hill was supposed to be my #3 SP. Swisher was supposed to be... er, what the hell IS Swisher supposed to be?
Gold Glove (FPCT & Assists counted): Brian Roberts (3rd, 31st). Could make a good case for my MVP as well. A beast for extra base hits, runs, stolen bases, not to mention helped lead me to a 22-3-0 regular season record in assists.
Cy Young: Chad Billingsley (14th, 162nd). Supposed to be my #4 SP, but Lackey went down early, Young went down later on, Hill imploded, and all season long Chad was holding down the fort. The team went 16-9-0 in both Ws and Ks, 15-9-1 in IP... thanks Chad!
Old Young: Actually every pitcher other than Hill did well for me on this team- probably the main reason I won.
Best Draft Picks: Joakim Soria (15th, 175th), Jamie Moyer (23rd, 271st)
Best Trade: got Jason Bay, Orlando Hudson & Kurt Suzuki for Ryan Zimmerman, Placido Polanco, & Ramon Hernandez a the beginning of the season

My 3rd place team, Jamie Moyer 4 Prez...

MVP: Jamie Moyer (FA pick up after Dontrelle (22nd, 214th) went down immediately). Can you tell I love old man Moyer? Seriously everyone on my offense struggled badly at some point, except for Pedroia I guess, but I can't bring myself to give him MVP because he was my #2 second baseman behind Utley all year. Moyer provided veteran leadership in the clubhouse on both of my teams all season long and cost me nothing. He is a king among men.
LVP: Kenji Johjima (10th, 94th). Held onto K-Joh WAY too long waiting for him to turn things around.
Cy Young: TIE, Cole Hamels (5th, 47th) & Joe Nathan (6th, 54th). One round apart, my #1 SP and #1 RP, combined to lead me to 17-8-0 K record and a 17-5-3 SV record. Peavy was supposed to be my #1 but minor injuries and a majorly shitty team behind him threw a wrench into that plan.
Old Young: Fausto Carmona (12th, 114th). I watched one of this guy's starts get updated on MLB.com Gameday while I was at work early this season. I lost years from my life due to stress, put Fausto on the DL days later, quit the job shortly thereafter, and moved to South Carolina by June. Now I don't blame Fausto for all of that... wait, yes, yes I do.
Best Draft Picks: Dustin Pedroia (17th, 167th), Adam Wainwright (19th, 187th)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:35 pm 

Clayton Jones wrote:
Jamie Moyer
Hate to be an ageist, but I gotta say, when you're giving the MVP to Moyer, you're lucky to finish in 3rd.