Strasburg's Debut

News, Injuries, Rosters - All baseball all the time!
linkinpaak

Strasburg's Debut

Postby linkinpaak » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Haven't seen cheese like that from a rookie since probably ever. That was some of the nastiest stuff I've ever seen and that's from the kid's first game. I wish I owned him in any of my leagues.
10 team H2H 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex(including QB), 1D, 1K, 25 passing yds = 2pts, 5rush/rec yds = 1pt, all TDs 6pts, PPR

QB - Drew Brees
RB - C.J. Spiller
RB - Vick Ballard
WR - A.J. Green
WR - Julio Jones
WR - Chris Givens
TE - Greg Olsen
Flex - Matthew Stafford
D - Browns
K - Justin Tucker
BN - Darren McFadden
BN - Reggie Bush
BN - Marcel Reece
BN - Daniel Thomas
BN - Danario Alexander
BN - Eric Decker
BN - Malcom Floyd
BN - Ryan Broyles

daver

Re: Strasburg's Debut

Postby daver » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:14 pm

Agreed. Reminded me a bit of Kerry Wood's rookie year 20K game against Houston. Hopefully Stras' shoulder holds up better than Wood's.

Stephen

Postby Stephen » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:37 pm

I haven't seen the highlights yet, but ... WOW!!! "Th th tha tha that's all folks"
Author of the Scouting the Unknown articles and Minor League Reviews

AdmiralTrey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby AdmiralTrey » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:55 pm

I'm really thankful that MLB Network carried the whole game so that I wouldn't miss a single pitch. Strasburg was not only all he was cracked up to be, he was even better than the hype, as John Smoltz said several times.

For anyone who was doubting what kind of impact Strasburg would have facing major league pitching, consider the doubt erased. I know it was only the Pirates, but the Pirates don't strike out a ton; as a team they're right in the middle at 12th in the Majors for most strikeouts, and the NL league average is 417, so it's not a stretch to say that Strasburg will be striking out people at a pretty good rate this year. Not 18 per 9, of course, but it ought to be a K per inning.

I haven't been this in awe of a pitcher's pure stuff since Randy Johnson in the early 00's when he was dominating every hitter in the league and K-Rod in the '02 World Series.

10 Team 6X6 H2H Dynasty Year 5
C - Wilson Ramos
1B - Freddie Freeman
2B - Gleyber Torres
3B - Nolan Arenado
SS - Trea Turner
OF - Mike Trout
OF - Ronald Acuna
OF - Yordan Alvarez
OF - Kris Bryant
UTL - Javier Baez
UTL - Adalberto Mondesi
Bench - Rhys Hoskins, Miguel Sano, Byron Buxton, Jonathan Schoop, Rowdy Tellez

SP - Gerrit Cole, Stephen Strasburg, Blake Snell, Chris Sale, Jose Berrios, Chris Paddack, Mike Soroka, German Marquez
RP - Ken Giles, Dellin Betances, Taylor Rogers, Geovanny Gallegos, Colin Poche, Corey Knebel
Pedo NA Purgatory Felipse Vazquez

Prospects:
SP: Grayson Rodriguez, Josiah Gray, Seth Corry, Franklin Perez, Ryan Weathers, Blake Walston
RP: James Karinchak
OF: Luis Robert, Alek Thomas, Jesus Sanchez, Kameron Misner, Bayron Lora
IF: Vidal Brujan, Alexander Mojica, Malcolm Nunez, Greg Jones, Gunnar Henderson
C: Sam Huff, Luis Campusano, William Contreras

Results:
2019 - 4th place. Finished regular season 20 games ahead of 2nd place but fell apart in the playoffs.
2018 - 1st place. Finished regular season 24 games ahead of 2nd place and won in the playoffs.
2017 - 2nd place. Finished regular season 5 games ahead of 2nd place but lost in the playoffs.
2016 - 1st place. Finished regular season 1.5 games behind 1st but won in the playoffs

Jerkin

Postby Jerkin » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:57 pm

I've only been in awe of a pitchers stuff... Pedro when he was with the Red Sox and i believe it was an all-star game at Fenway and he struck out the side.
My Random Prediction This Year -> JP Arencibia for AL ROTY

12 team league, not keeper, standard 5x5

Miguel Montero
Gaby Sanchez
Rickie Weeks
Kevin Youkilis
Maicer Izturis
Jacoby Ellsbury
Ryan Braun
Chris Young
Aaron Hill
Brennan Boesch
Rafael Furcal
Ben Zobrist
Jason Bourgeois

SP
Fausto Carmona
Tim Stauffer
Jhoulys Chacin
Jon Lester
Kyle McClellan
Tim Hudson
Jason Vargas
David Price
Tim Lincecum
Rick Porcello
RP
Mike Adams
Matt Guerrier
Kyle Farnsworth
Kenley Jansen
DL - Andrew Bailey

rightwingjedi
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby rightwingjedi » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:55 am

I had a funny feeling going up my leg all night. After 26 years of watching baseball, and I am speechless.

The heat and movement was not surprising, what was however was his poise and control.

Pudge said they started with breaking balls and off speed stuff because SS was not located the fastball that well, and when he was, they finished with almost all fastballs, and as a result, the Buccos looked like a junior high team out there.

Nights like last night make me appreciate the game more than ever, great stuff.

Strike Three
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Strike Three » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:39 am

All I can say is WOW. He was very impressive. It took him 94 pitches to get 14 K's and he kept getting stronger as the game went on. Dude was in the zone.

havok

Postby havok » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:30 pm

Only have one comment to make and it says everything...

After this 1 start, SS now has an xFIP number of -.50.

You read that right, NEGATIVE .50! Silly business.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always
so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

"The worst thing that can happen to a gambler is to win."

"When you bet on a dog only three things can happen; two of them are good."

Follow all my tweeting nonsense @TheRealestDan

jumphook14

Postby jumphook14 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:57 pm

I'm really thankful that MLB Network carried the whole game so that I wouldn't miss a single pitch. Strasburg was not only all he was cracked up to be, he was even better than the hype, as John Smoltz said several times.
Man, Costas was amped, wasn't he? You would have thought he was calling Game Seven of a Cardinals-Yankees World Series or something. But that's just it - all that hype and Strasburg still exceeded expectations. It was a lot of fun to watch.

I was glad that Riggleman left him in for the 7th. For a while there it didn't look like he was even going to get the win but was still going to have an quality outing, flirting with double-digit K's while only giving up 2ER. Then Dunn hits the two-run dong, putting Strasburg in line for the win again, and they roll him back out there for the 7th and he mows down the side. Got ripped on a little bit in my commish league for drafting him, so the three extra K's were a nice bonus.
roto redux founders league 12-team mixed 5x5 rotisserie non-keeper
C mccann/kendall 1B loney 2B kinsler 3B rolen SS a.gonz CI callaspo MI y.escobar OF kemp/werth/g.jones/fuku/gomes UT furcal BN l.scott DL kendry
SP wainwright/cain RP rivera/papelbon P k.rod/clippard/romero/billingsley/strasburg BN c.lewis/lackey/braden/happ

yahoo! public H2H 520690
C napoli 1B m.cabrera 2B kendrick 3B beltre SS jeter OF ethier/bay/hamilton UT fielder/abreu BN ellsbury/j.lopez
SP greinke/lee RP bell/clippard P jenks/rauch/price/burnett BN j.garcia/latos/correia DL street

AdmiralTrey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby AdmiralTrey » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:03 pm

Man, Costas was amped, wasn't he? You would have thought he was calling Game Seven of a Cardinals-Yankees World Series or something. But that's just it - all that hype and Strasburg still exceeded expectations. It was a lot of fun to watch.

I was glad that Riggleman left him in for the 7th. For a while there it didn't look like he was even going to get the win but was still going to have an quality outing, flirting with double-digit K's while only giving up 2ER. Then Dunn hits the two-run dong, putting Strasburg in line for the win again, and they roll him back out there for the 7th and he mows down the side. Got ripped on a little bit in my commish league for drafting him, so the three extra K's were a nice bonus.
Haha, I enjoyed Costas for that game, but the Yahoo baseball writers live chat definitely didn't. I got ripped a little bit in my main league, too; a few managers asked me whether I was running a pitching staff or a daycare when I grabbed Kershaw, Sanchez, him, and Matusz... We get the last laugh now!

10 Team 6X6 H2H Dynasty Year 5
C - Wilson Ramos
1B - Freddie Freeman
2B - Gleyber Torres
3B - Nolan Arenado
SS - Trea Turner
OF - Mike Trout
OF - Ronald Acuna
OF - Yordan Alvarez
OF - Kris Bryant
UTL - Javier Baez
UTL - Adalberto Mondesi
Bench - Rhys Hoskins, Miguel Sano, Byron Buxton, Jonathan Schoop, Rowdy Tellez

SP - Gerrit Cole, Stephen Strasburg, Blake Snell, Chris Sale, Jose Berrios, Chris Paddack, Mike Soroka, German Marquez
RP - Ken Giles, Dellin Betances, Taylor Rogers, Geovanny Gallegos, Colin Poche, Corey Knebel
Pedo NA Purgatory Felipse Vazquez

Prospects:
SP: Grayson Rodriguez, Josiah Gray, Seth Corry, Franklin Perez, Ryan Weathers, Blake Walston
RP: James Karinchak
OF: Luis Robert, Alek Thomas, Jesus Sanchez, Kameron Misner, Bayron Lora
IF: Vidal Brujan, Alexander Mojica, Malcolm Nunez, Greg Jones, Gunnar Henderson
C: Sam Huff, Luis Campusano, William Contreras

Results:
2019 - 4th place. Finished regular season 20 games ahead of 2nd place but fell apart in the playoffs.
2018 - 1st place. Finished regular season 24 games ahead of 2nd place and won in the playoffs.
2017 - 2nd place. Finished regular season 5 games ahead of 2nd place but lost in the playoffs.
2016 - 1st place. Finished regular season 1.5 games behind 1st but won in the playoffs

Return to “Baseball - General Player Discussion”