Opinions on this rebuild move? Blkbstr keeper league trade

News, Injuries, Rosters - All baseball all the time!
Eternalfire

Opinions on this rebuild move? Blkbstr keeper league trade

Postby Eternalfire » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:31 pm

12 team H2H points keeper league each team keeps 6 players into the next season.

My team is looking like it is out of contention for 2015 so it was time to decide how to go about rebuilding the team to be a competitor for 2016. One road that most people try to go down would be trading players outside of your top 6 keeper selections to get extra draft picks from teams that are poised to make the playoffs. Another strategy might be to persue some young talent and another option would be to try to consolidate a package of good players and/or draft picks to land a great keeper and improve your top 6. I opted to rebuild by persuing one of the best in the game Miguel Cabrera, he will be 33 years old next year and I figure he will be a top of the line keeper for at least the next 3 seasons so here's the deal I made.

Acquired

A.J. Ramos RP | MIA
Miguel Cabrera 1B | DET
Joakim Soria RP | DET

Dealt away

Christian Yelich LF | MIA
Adrian Gonzalez 1B | LAD
Carlos Martinez RP | STL (RP/SP guys very valuable in H2H points he's the #1 scoring RP by 20 points)
Jake Odorizzi SP | TB
Trevor Bauer SP | CLE

Now my projected keepers are going to be

Miguel Cabrera 1B 33 yrs old next season
Ian Kinsler 2B 34 yrs old next season
Jose Reyes SS 33 yrs old next season
Adam Jones OF 30 yrs old next season
Zack Greinke SP 32 yrs old next season
Danny Salazar SP 26 yrs old next season

Back up keeper options / players I'm most likely going to try to deal for some extra picks

Carlos Gonzolaz OF
Evan Longoria 3B
Salvador Perez C
Matt Weiters C
Cody Anderson SP (when was the last time you saw a pitcher new to the league pitch 15.2 INN in his 1st 2 career starts? This kid has me excited can't wait to see how he progresses, he's very low ownership right now so if he's available in your league I would definitely GO GRAB HIM NOW! u can thank me later)

How would you evaluate this group of keepers for a 12 team league? Would you expect this team to be a heavy hitter playoff contender in 2016 if it is managed well? This year is a bust but I feel like I'm poised for a great 2016.

What would be your next move if you owned this team? Should I try to package one of my top 6 with players on the 2nd list and/or draft picks to go for another consolidation trade? Or just try to acquire whatever extra draft picks I can get my hands on? I like my top 6 but the average age is pretty damn high I'm thinking my next move should be flipping one of my keepers in a package to acquire a younger up and coming guy mabey Kinsler while he still has some value left.

Any feedback would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Grey

Re: Opinions on this rebuild move? Blkbstr keeper league trade

Postby Grey » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:01 am

Not sure why you traded for an old, injury prone guy and two closers
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

Eternalfire

Postby Eternalfire » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:11 pm

I just figured he's still got a few years left of being an elite keeper. He really hasn't been injured much over the last few years or much at all over his career. I definitely wouldn't label him injury prone but ya he did just land himslef on the DL which can happen to anyone. Any draft I saw he was still a 1st rounder this year and he's the 8th best scoring batter in my league currently and I know my package of players that I gave for him would not land a player like Trout, McCutchen, Harper, Rizzo, Arenando etc. The 2 RP players I got I really don't care about as I said my 2015 season is finished and I'm looking to 2016. There's no way this is a bad move in my mind. 33 years old is an old player to persue in a keeper league but as I said above the guys like Harper are just unattainable so I took what I could get. I can picture Cabrera mashing the baseball for at least another 3-4 season's and he's had one of the more remarkable careers out of any active players still under 35. From 2004-2014 his lowest games played is 148 and his avg games played is 157.5. That's 11 years basically without any DL stints I'm not sure what constitutes injury prone if he deserves that label no offense. Anyone else care to give their opinion on this deal? I think it's good for both teams.

phillyrulez04

Postby phillyrulez04 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:40 am

*Trades bunch of young guys for an older superstar*
"Aww, shit...my keepers are old, maybe I'll trade one of them for some young talent."

You gave up A LOT of good, young talent in that trade. Holy crap. Bauer, Martinez & Odorizzi (as young pitchers who throw hard and K guys like crazy) are gold in keeper leagues. Bauer less so, but the other two guys are pretty valuable. And Adrian is the most consistent (and under rated) players in the history of fantasy baseball.

I would have kept anyone you traded (except Yelich) over Kinsler & Reyes.

And Miggy hasn't really been "injury prone" but that's because he's not young anymore. Sure, 33 isn't old, but most players haven't been playing 162 games a year in the majors since they were 19. I don't think you can reasonably expect him to produce like he has for another 4-5 years. He's not going to be garbage, but I doubt he ever replicates 2012 or 2013 again. Which is fine, but those numbers are what you need him to do to win the trade you made.

Also, if you don't really care about the two closers you got in the deal, then why did you trade for them? Unless you go and flip them and anything else on your roster of value for any improvement in draft picks or keepers, This was not a great move for you. Maybe it will be next year, but again...you gave up what could have been a decent core of talented players for a while.

Return to “Baseball - General Player Discussion”