Picking at the turn: Rizzo/Rendon 1-2 and what to do next?

News, Injuries, Rosters - All baseball all the time!
bandwgn09

Picking at the turn: Rizzo/Rendon 1-2 and what to do next?

Postby bandwgn09 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:55 am

So in doing Grey’s “best possible team” game when picking from draft positions 9-12 more than likely you’ll end up drafting Aww Rizzzzz 1st and Aww Rennn second. Which means when your turn comes back around you’re right in the heart of tier 2 pitcher territory. We’re not drafting a pitcher so you’re left with the following options for your team:

Option 1:Manbird and Cespedes rounds 3-4 leaving you with a pitcher and C. Santana for rounds 5 and 6. Bleh. (You probably get Wong round 7)

Option 2: Manbird and Longo for rounds 3-4. Leaving you with a pitcher and Cruz or Marte for rounds 5 and 6. Manbird and Marte for your outfield!? Double Bleh….

If you take Rizz 1 and any available OF 2, then round 3-4 you gotta take longo or frazier for 3B, and Pence as your OF 2 instead of your OF 1. (if you don’t take an OF your reaching for Dee Gordon 20 ranking spots lower). Rounds 5-6 you get a pitcher and again C.santana. Wong comes again in round 7. (how did you expect me to spell comes?)

If you take Rendon first and any available OF second, then rounds 3 and 4 you take Longo 3B and Freeman 1B. Rounds 5-6 you get a pitcher and Marte round 7 you don’t get a Wong but you will Bogaert your league championship.

To summarize, how would you rank the following teams?

A. 1. Rizz 2. Rendon 3. Pence 4. Cespedes 5. Ross 6. Santana 7. Wong
B. 1. Rizz 2. Renden 3. Pence 4. Longo 5. Ross 6. Marte 7. Wong
C. 1. Rizz 2. Joey Bats 3. Pence 4. Longo 5. Ross 6. Santana 7. Wong
D. 1. Ren 2. Joey Bats 3. Freeman 4. Longo 5.Ross 6. Marte 7. Bogaerts

Conclusion: I like team D. When faced with the decision, draft Rendon over Rizz and take an outfielder over both.
With this strategy the rest of the draft falls into place. NO THINKING or reaching to fill out your roster.

Notes: There always seems to be a second or third baseman you can’t believe fell that low (Arenado yahoo ADP 6th round wong 11th round). Whichever position you get a steal, Plug Rendon in the opposite side of the pitcher.

Outfielder rankings are very similar amongst many ‘perts across many different websites including this one. No outfielder in Greys top 10 OFs will be there past pick 25. You can find many of Grey’s top 10 at each infield position waaaay late in drafts.

Grey

Re: Picking at the turn: Rizzo/Rendon 1-2 and what to do next?

Postby Grey » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:10 am

So in doing Grey’s “best possible team” game when picking from draft positions 9-12 more than likely you’ll end up drafting Aww Rizzzzz 1st and Aww Rennn second. Which means when your turn comes back around you’re right in the heart of tier 2 pitcher territory. We’re not drafting a pitcher so you’re left with the following options for your team:

Option 1:Manbird and Cespedes rounds 3-4 leaving you with a pitcher and C. Santana for rounds 5 and 6. Bleh. (You probably get Wong round 7)

Option 2: Manbird and Longo for rounds 3-4. Leaving you with a pitcher and Cruz or Marte for rounds 5 and 6. Manbird and Marte for your outfield!? Double Bleh….

If you take Rizz 1 and any available OF 2, then round 3-4 you gotta take longo or frazier for 3B, and Pence as your OF 2 instead of your OF 1. (if you don’t take an OF your reaching for Dee Gordon 20 ranking spots lower). Rounds 5-6 you get a pitcher and again C.santana. Wong comes again in round 7. (how did you expect me to spell comes?)

If you take Rendon first and any available OF second, then rounds 3 and 4 you take Longo 3B and Freeman 1B. Rounds 5-6 you get a pitcher and Marte round 7 you don’t get a Wong but you will Bogaert your league championship.

To summarize, how would you rank the following teams?

A. 1. Rizz 2. Rendon 3. Pence 4. Cespedes 5. Ross 6. Santana 7. Wong
B. 1. Rizz 2. Renden 3. Pence 4. Longo 5. Ross 6. Marte 7. Wong
C. 1. Rizz 2. Joey Bats 3. Pence 4. Longo 5. Ross 6. Santana 7. Wong
D. 1. Ren 2. Joey Bats 3. Freeman 4. Longo 5.Ross 6. Marte 7. Bogaerts

Conclusion: I like team D. When faced with the decision, draft Rendon over Rizz and take an outfielder over both.
With this strategy the rest of the draft falls into place. NO THINKING or reaching to fill out your roster.

Notes: There always seems to be a second or third baseman you can’t believe fell that low (Arenado yahoo ADP 6th round wong 11th round). Whichever position you get a steal, Plug Rendon in the opposite side of the pitcher.

Outfielder rankings are very similar amongst many ‘perts across many different websites including this one. No outfielder in Greys top 10 OFs will be there past pick 25. You can find many of Grey’s top 10 at each infield position waaaay late in drafts.
I don't love Freeman, more on him to come, B looks the best...
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

bandwgn09

Postby bandwgn09 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:02 pm

what if you took Frazier or Chris Davis instead of freeman? I'm just weary of not getting an Tier 1 OF with one of your first 2 picks. So I guess what your saying is a Tier 3 OF is better than a Tier 2 1b?

Grey

Postby Grey » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:17 am

I'd take 1B the way I have them ranked
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

Return to “Baseball - General Player Discussion”