sleeper pick thoughts

News, Injuries, Rosters - All baseball all the time!
Deltron
Sponsor
Sponsor

sleeper pick thoughts

Postby Deltron » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:06 am

Conducted my draft tonight. Kept Bautista (5th rd), Wainwright (7th rd), Rizzo (10th rd) and Segura (13th rd). I think I did fine filling in the needs. I'm more interested in getting feedback on these late round sleeper picks:

Haren (18th rd...xFIP of 3.67 with a 8 k/9 and 1.64 BB/9 in 2013. Seems like a nice rebound candidate with half of his starts in Chavez Ravine)

Melky Cabrera (19th rd...it's not a tumor! oh wait, it was a tumor after all. Batting .434 this spring + crazy offseason workout regimen gives me some optimism for a rebound)

Kevin Gausman (20th rd...looking "spectacular" this spring. It's only a matter of time, right? mid May?)

Chris Tillman (21st rd...everyone yawns at this guy but he had a 3.88 xFIP, 7.8 k/9 and 3 BB/9 in 2013. He turns 26 in three weeks, seems like there's plenty of upside still on the vine here).

Maikel Franco (22nd rd...my keeper stash pick. Hit for average and power in the minors. Ryan Howard gets hurt or Cody Asche stumbles, I like his chances of getting the call in June)

Jenrry Mejia (23rd rd...very intriguing if he can get the 5th starter role. Odd to say this, but I think I made a reach in the last round of the draft with this pick. Brandon Morrow and Martin Perez were still there but there's something about Mejia's afro that has me mesmerized...along with 2013 performance featuring a 2.31 xFIP, 8.9 k/9 and 1.3 BB/9. Uh, yeah I'll take that...oh, there's a Nicky Minaj butt that comes with those numbers, he only pitched 27 innings. Sample size & all that jazz)
12-teamer, H2H, points, 4 keepers.
Hitters: +1 single, +2 dbl, +3 trpl, +4 HR, +1 RBI, +1 run, +1 BB/HBP, -1 K, +2 SB, -1 CS
Pitchers: +1.5 IP, +1 K, -1 BB/HBP, +5 W, -3 L, +4 S, -2 BS, +3 CG, +10 shutout
Start one player at each position + utility, 4 SPs, 2 RPs. 8 reserves.

Return to “Baseball - General Player Discussion”