Points league strategy

News, Injuries, Rosters - All baseball all the time!
flo-g-money

Points league strategy

Postby flo-g-money » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:08 pm

So I'm looking for some thoughts on strategy in relation to a new league im in this year. It is a point based system. Scoring is posted below. It is an interesting format to me. Hitting wise I am thinking target power, power, and more power. Pitching is lacking gives no points for strikeouts so I guess target the pitchers I would normally target, with workhorses getting an edge? Thanks.

Total Bases 1 Point
Run 1 Point
Run Batted In 1 Point
Hit by Pitch 1 Point
Base on Balls 1 Point
Stolen Base 1 Point
Caught Stealing -1 Point

Wins 15 Points
Complete Game 10 Points
Shut Out 10 Points
No Hitter 10 Points
Game Appearance 4 Points
Innings Pitched 1 Point
Quality Start 3 Points
Saves 5 Points
Hold 3 Points
Blown Save -3 Points
Loss -8 Points
Earned Run -1 Point

Grey

Re: Points league strategy

Postby Grey » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:52 pm

I agree with your assessments... Saves are a waste of time... Steals don't seem to be very helpful either...
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

flo-g-money

Postby flo-g-money » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:18 pm

Just found out I have first pick. Would you dtill go trout or go eith migs due to format?

Grey

Postby Grey » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:13 pm

Eh, I'd still go Trout... He's close to Miggy in total bases and adds in steals...
Grey Albright

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

flo-g-money

Postby flo-g-money » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:36 pm

Considering this format with first pick, would it be crazy to go trout pick one, then follow up with bautista, bruce? I would love if longo drops to 24 or 25, but I just dont see that happening. Is this hole to big to dig out of? I would love the power combo but the 3 straight OFs is a huge risk. There arent any viable 3rd base guys and the only 1st base options that would be there would be pujols or freeman, and putting bautista and pujols together scares me with the injury risk. Thanks in advance.

Grey

Postby Grey » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:36 pm

Nope, wouldn't be crazy...
Grey Albright

Thanks!

Shivdaddy

Postby Shivdaddy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:18 pm

That scoring system looks god awful.

flo-g-money

Postby flo-g-money » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:13 pm

Thoughts on team? Figured I'd keep it in the thread so you can see the point system again. Regardless of the format, I think this team is bomb dot com. There are countless guys that fell to me. I felt like a school girl all over a again! 12 teams and there are no bench spots. Thanks

C- Weiters
1b- Rizzo
2b- Gyrko
3b- Longoria
SS- Segura
MI- Altuve
CI- Middlebrooks
OF- Trout
OF- Bautista
OF- Puig
OF- Bruce
U- Myers

SP- Bumgarner
SP- Bailey
SP- Teheran
SP- Liriano
SP- Gray
RP- Janssen
RP- Street
RP- Carlos Martinez
RP- Alex Torres

Grey

Postby Grey » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:20 pm

Thoughts on team? Figured I'd keep it in the thread so you can see the point system again. Regardless of the format, I think this team is bomb dot com. There are countless guys that fell to me. I felt like a school girl all over a again! 12 teams and there are no bench spots. Thanks

C- Weiters
1b- Rizzo
2b- Gyrko
3b- Longoria
SS- Segura
MI- Altuve
CI- Middlebrooks
OF- Trout
OF- Bautista
OF- Puig
OF- Bruce
U- Myers

SP- Bumgarner
SP- Bailey
SP- Teheran
SP- Liriano
SP- Gray
RP- Janssen
RP- Street
RP- Carlos Martinez
RP- Alex Torres
Wow, real solid team indeed... I think the hitting and pitching both are real balanced and solid... Hard to fault any picks really...
Grey Albright

Thanks!

flo-g-money

Postby flo-g-money » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:29 pm

Shiv: Yea man first time in it but looks like it will be a breast of fresh ass from my normal leagues. This is a scoring system I've never seen before. Real weird. It's a big money league too, 300 a team. Another strange thing is there are no bench spots and the points players earn are not rewarded to your team, but rather the individual player on your roster. So for example if I drop say Middlbrooks with 450 pts, and pick up Arenado with 500pts, it doesn't matter if Middlebrooks was on my team all year, I get all of Arenados 500 points counted to my team and none of Middlebrooks. Should make for some wild posturing later in the season.

Return to “Baseball - General Player Discussion”