Jordan Walden & Grant Balfour

News, Injuries, Rosters - All baseball all the time!
Calogero

Jordan Walden & Grant Balfour

Postby Calogero » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:25 pm

Been holding onto both in hopes they regain the closer spot. I need roster space for another move, so I need to pick which one to cut ties with.

I thought I remembered reading that Walden would possibly be put back into the closer's role once he got himself straightened out. If it was just Scott Downs pitching the 9th I'd have no problems holding him, as I could see them making a switch back once Walden has proved he'd solved his issues.

Now the thing is that Walden has a 1.35 ERA and 1.20 WHIP with 12 K in 13.1 IP over the last 30 days. But he's still not even being used in the 8th inning. With Frieri coming over and pitching lights out, I'm thinking Walden is basically a 7th inning guy and wouldn't even get first crack at closing if one of Frieri/Downs gets hurt or struggles.

As for Balfour, he's also been good since being deposed, with 2.77/1.15 ratios and 11 K in 13 IP over the last 30 days. Fuentes was never really meant to be a permanent solution, and you'd think the A's might be tempted to pump Balfour's trade value by getting him some saves before the deadline. He was used in the 8th with a 1-run lead on May 29th (in a game later blown by Fuentes), a day after Ryan Cook blew an 8th inning hold opportunity. The A's haven't had a chance to show the pecking order behind Fuentes since then. Cook has been shaky lately after a very strong start, with 7 BB over his last 7.1 IP.

So which do I drop? Neither is really striking out enough guys or putting up sparkly enough ratios to justify carrying, so the name of the game is trying to figure out who will have a better chance at saves the rest of the year. I'm legitimately right down the middle on this decision. Any opinion or extra info that I may be missing would be appreciated?

Grey

Re: Jordan Walden & Grant Balfour

Postby Grey » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:09 am

Drop Walden...
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

Return to “Baseball - General Player Discussion”