Tried a new tactic this year.

News, Injuries, Rosters - All baseball all the time!
King Wank

Tried a new tactic this year.

Postby King Wank » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:20 pm

So, in the build up to my draft, I knew that there's always someone who plays the position scarcity game to a T. So, I had the 4th spot and I really wanted Cabrera or Pujols...or I wanted to trade down and get Votto and Longoria on the back side.

So, I proposed a trade offer to my league mates saying as much...only I flat out said, "I have the 4th pick and I'm prepared to draft Tulo with it. If you'd like to move up, I'm willing to trade down."

My thought was that either one of the dudes drafting 2-4 places behind me would take the offer and do some pick trading...or, by name-dropping Tulo, I would goad one of the guys higher up on the food chain to take Tulo.

As it turns out, nobody was willing to trade up and get him (which I didn't expect), but come draft day, the guy picking 1 spot ahead of me grabs Tulo. I picked Pujols and I'm happy as a clam. Some of my league mates were laughing that I didn't get Tulo...and I didn't have the heart to tell them I didn't really want him.

Anyway, it was the first time I tried to manipulate things in the draft order and I am claiming success. I guess we'll see in the end.
5x5 Roto 12 teams

C Santana, Carlos (1B,C) CLE 
1B Goldschmidt, Paul (1B) ARI 
2B Phillips, Brandon (2B) CIN 
3B Zimmerman, Ryan (3B) WAS 
SS Espinosa, Danny (2B,SS) WAS 
MI Johnson, Kelly (2B) TB
CI Frazier, Todd (1B,3B) CIN 
OF Hunter, Torii(OF) DET
OF McCutchen, Andrew (OF) PIT
OF Pence, Hunter (OF) SF 
OF Stanton, Giancarlo (OF) MIA 
OF Stubbs, Drew (OF) CLE
U Bonifacio, Emilio (OF) TOR 
U Machado, Manny (3B) BAL 

P Benoit, Joaquin (P) DET 
P Greinke, Zack (P) LAD 
P Janssen, Casey (P) TOR 
P Milone, Tommy (P) OAK 
P Moore, Matt (P) TB 
P Morrow, Brandon (P) TOR 
P Parker, Jarrod (P) OAK 
P Dempster, Ryan (P) BOS 
P Soriano, Rafael (P) WAS 

Bench (P) Ryu, Hyun-Jin (P) LAD 
Bench (P) Doubront, Felix (P) BOS
Bench (P) Hanson, Tommy (P) LAA 
Bench (P) Masterson, Justin (P) CLE
Bench (1B) Lind, Adam (1B) TOR

letsgobravos

Re: Tried a new tactic this year.

Postby letsgobravos » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:25 pm

So, in the build up to my draft, I knew that there's always someone who plays the position scarcity game to a T. So, I had the 4th spot and I really wanted Cabrera or Pujols...or I wanted to trade down and get Votto and Longoria on the back side.

So, I proposed a trade offer to my league mates saying as much...only I flat out said, "I have the 4th pick and I'm prepared to draft Tulo with it. If you'd like to move up, I'm willing to trade down."

My thought was that either one of the dudes drafting 2-4 places behind me would take the offer and do some pick trading...or, by name-dropping Tulo, I would goad one of the guys higher up on the food chain to take Tulo.

As it turns out, nobody was willing to trade up and get him (which I didn't expect), but come draft day, the guy picking 1 spot ahead of me grabs Tulo. I picked Pujols and I'm happy as a clam. Some of my league mates were laughing that I didn't get Tulo...and I didn't have the heart to tell them I didn't really want him.

Anyway, it was the first time I tried to manipulate things in the draft order and I am claiming success. I guess we'll see in the end.
I can't believe anyone actually fell for that...Tulo at 3 is a pretty terrible pick. Worked out well for you though so congrats!

bravo0919

Postby bravo0919 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:25 am

Sounds like you just finished watching or reading Moneyball.

Silly String

Postby Silly String » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:21 am

This happens every year in the NFL draft. Well played sir!
Y! 5x5 H2H 10 teamer
C-Gattis
1B-Votto
2B-Zobrist
SS-Ev Cab
3B-Longoria
OF-Trout, Bautista, Kemp
UTIL-Pujols
BN-Beltran
Rotation: Gray, Cain, Kazmir, Ventura, Kluber, Bailey, Kennedy
Closers: Chapman, Soria, Rondon, Allen
DL: A.Sanchez, Rosario