Bumgarner as first SP?

News, Injuries, Rosters - All baseball all the time!
mtw02
Sponsor
Sponsor

Bumgarner as first SP?

Postby mtw02 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:36 am

I have done quite well in my league the past 4-5 years going heavy on the bats and holding off on pitching till rounds 7-10.

Curious how you guys would feel if, based on ADP, your staff was anchored by Bumgarner (high upside, obvious risk), D Hudson, J Zimmerman, Beachy, Anibal...guys like that who are attainable later than the top studs.

With those guys its seems like Wins would be the biggest issue, but chasing that is folly.

Just wondering HOW late I can go on SP and still feel safe. This year I'm not sure I should go much later than Greinke whose ADP is in the 40s....then wait further on pitching.

Thoughts?

Grey

Re: Bumgarner as first SP?

Postby Grey » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:09 pm

Assuming you're asking for other opinions cause you know how I feel...
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

phorts

Postby phorts » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:16 pm

Not sure what comments will follow, but I can tell you i just traded my Ace (Kershaw) for Tulo leaving me with MadBum as my #1. Followed by Gio, D Hudson, M Moore, Scherzer, Luebke and Cahill.

I usually try to trade off the middle/end of my rotation for slumping bats but this was too good to pass up and i had a need at SS (sexy Alexei was my starter).

I dont feel great without having that anchor, but in H2H I feel that i can survive and find some nice talent on the WW since we have short rosters/bench (and i have #1 WW Priority).

You never did mention if you are H2H or Roto, as that would play a role. No, you cant "chase" wins but you also cant have a team full of A's and O's cuz you will punt that category. It feels like SP is deeper than most years but i'm chalking it up to perception vs reality. Truth is it's much harder to find a stud bat (esp at a scarce pos like SS and 3B) than it is to find a SP that will contribute to your counting stats in H2H and even Roto.

That probably didnt help at all..lol.
10 Team Yahoo H2H 5x5

C - Lucroy
1B - Fielder
2B - Gyorko
3B - Longo
SS - Andrus
OF - A Jones
OF - C. Gomez
OF - A Rios
UTIL - A. Gordon
Bench: Dee Gordon
SP - Scherzer, Cobb, Ryu, Liriano, Samardzija, Kluber, Garza
RP - Cishek, Frieri, Perkins

mtw02
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby mtw02 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:12 pm

Sorry Grey - I assume you are okay with that strategy but would feel better if I had Greinke or Lester as an anchor...is Bumgarner too risky?

Its roto, 10 teams, sorry about that.

Bourne

Postby Bourne » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:13 pm

With ten team there were be options on waivers. So that is where you really win your league.
RCL Cracking the Whip: (5x5 ESPN roto)
C: Weiters
1B,3B,CI: Encarnacion, Wright, Alanso
2B,SS,MI: Getz, Kozma, Uggla
5xOF: Kemp, Holliday, Hunter, Soriano, Crisp
1xUtil: Markakis
Bn: Hill, Aybar
DL: Hart
SP: MadBum, Zimmermann, Morrow, Annibal Sanchez, Lynn, Anderson
RP: League, Parnell, Benoit, Hernandez

12 team F&F: (6x6 Yahoo! H2H with OPS and Losses)
C: Cervelli
1B,3B,CI: Gold, Zimmerman, Frazier
2B,SS,MI: Phillips, Ruthledge, Bonifacio
4xOF: Braun, Hamilton, Cruz, Hunter
2xUtil: Chris Davis, Span
SP: Latos, Moore, Zimmermann, Niese, Milone, Griffin, Miller, Cingrani, ~Streamer~
RP: Holland, Janssen, Perkins, Bailey, Valverde
2xNA: Straily, Grandal

wudaben
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby wudaben » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:43 am

I drafted Bum as #1 in one of my 12 team leagues and am considering doing the same in another. I'd feel a bit safer if I had someone like Hamels to go along with Bum but I went heavy on hitters in a pitching heavy league and filled in my team at the end of the draft with a bunch of upside pitchers:

Bumgarner
A. Sanchez
Marcum
Beachy
M. Moore
Minor
Cahill
J. Sanchez
L. Lynn
P. Hughes
12 Team H2H Points Weekly Lineups:
Hitting Scoring: HR: 4 SB: 2 1B: 1 2B: 2 3B: 3 BB: 1 R: 1
Pitching Scoring: Win: 10 Loss: -5 Inn: 3 K: 1 ER: -2 Hits: -1 BBI: -1 Save: 8 BS: -3 CG: 5 SO: 5 No Hitter: 5 Perfect Game: 10

Return to “Baseball - General Player Discussion”