Rate My Draft

News, Injuries, Rosters - All baseball all the time!
sean1981
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Rate My Draft

Postby sean1981 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:41 am

CBS -- 10 team, 5x5, roto, 2C, paid

It was a pretty odd draft. Four pitchers were taken in the first 11 picks, so there was a sharp divide with very SP heavy teams and very hitting heavy teams. I tried to stay balanced, as per usual.

1B Joey Votto (1/4)
3B Evan Longoria (2/17)
OF1 Justin Upton (3/24)
OF2 Andrew McCutchen (4/37)

----------------------------------
Basically, at this point of the draft I'm going backflips. I got three first rounders plus maybe the best five-category contributor not named Braun or Kemp. I know I need to step up the overall level of my SP because so many people are drafting aces, but at the same time I don't want to chase.
SP1 Madison Bumgarner (5/44) -- really wanted MadBum. Probably reached a little, but he wasn't going to make it back to me in another 14 picks, and I felt like both he and Lester would be gone (as Greinke, Hamels, Gallardo, Haren, Weaver and Price already were). He and Lester were the last two guys available that I felt comfortable as my aces.
SP2 Jon Lester (6/57) -- he fell in my lap and I don't mind loading up on quality SP's in a 10-teamer in rounds 5-9 or so. In hindsight, it makes me upset about reaching for MadBum, but I really don't mind all that much after my first four picks.
SS Elvis Andrus (7/64) -- great value here. Last SS on the board I'm drafting before the 20th round.
SP3 Daniel Hudson (8/77) -- putting another horse in the stable.
2B Brandon Phillips (9/84) -- 20/20/280 and decent counting stats at 84? Preach.
CI Aramis Ramirez (10/97) -- 30/100 at 97? Amen.
MI Dan Uggla (11/104) -- Razz rated 39th overall. Classic CBS BA skew. Didn't want to fill my MI here, but I hate being power light and I couldn't pass up this value.
OF3 Brett Gardner (12/117)
OF4 Drew Stubbs (13/124)
-- love Stubbs here. What's the difference between Stubbs and Crawford or Desmond Jennings? Not much, except 50-60 picks.
SP4 Cory Luebke (14/137)
RP1 Jason Motte (15/144)
-- first closer for me here in the 15th. (Kimbrel went 53)
SP5 Shaun Marcum (16/157) -- more quality depth
SP6 Max Scherzer (17/164) -- his WHIP is high, but how many guys after 160 have the chance to give you 15W and 200K? Plus my staff was low ratio to this point
RP2 Huston Street (18/177) -- Street is my donkeycorn pick for this season.
OF5 Logan Morrison (19/184) -- LoMo has the chops to be a top-100 player. 80/25/80/.275 for OF5? Twice on Muesday.
---------------------------
I hate to ride the Matthew Berry train, but at this point of the draft, I wanted to fill in my catchers, bench and look for any value in the form of good or injured players coming off of a dismal year (Lind, Dunn, Rios, Santana, Peavy, Volquez). I wasn't quite sure how to play it because this is when I'm usually rounding out the pitching, but I already had 6 solid SP and two closers.
C1 Ryan Doumit (20/197) -- Catcher! Punt! Catcher! Punt. Was looking at Wieters when he fell to around 70, but I didn't have the heart to do it. I'd much rather have Andrus.
RP3 Chris Perez (21/204) -- Gotta love spring training injury shrouding the value of 30-35 saves right here. SAGNOF, but in Perez's case, saves got a beardy face.
BN1 Mike Minor (22/217) -- could be better than Beachy.
U Colby Rasmus (23/224) -- I was going to draft a Dunn/Rios/Lind type U, but Lind got drafted and I figured let's err on the side of up. Debated between Rasmus and Bourjos, but I already had approximately 220 SBs on my roster. Can't get 11 points in that category.
BN2 Kenley Jansen (24/237) -- Jansen is rosterable even if he's not the closer. K rate is insane and WHIP is miniscule.
BN3 Chris Sale (25/244) -- love Sale this year. He may only throw 160 innings as a starter, but before he was converted to a closer, he was drafted as a Randy Johnson-type. Dominant power stuff.
BN4 Jake Peavy (26/257)
BN5 Edinson Volquez (27/264)

C2 Chris Iannetta (28/277) -- again, why pay for C2?
BN6 Nolan Reimold (29/284) -- flyer on a guy who could mirror LoMo.

Grey

Re: Rate My Draft

Postby Grey » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:01 am

CBS -- 10 team, 5x5, roto, 2C, paid

It was a pretty odd draft. Four pitchers were taken in the first 11 picks, so there was a sharp divide with very SP heavy teams and very hitting heavy teams. I tried to stay balanced, as per usual.

1B Joey Votto (1/4)
3B Evan Longoria (2/17)
OF1 Justin Upton (3/24)
OF2 Andrew McCutchen (4/37)

Basically, at this point of the draft I'm going backflips. I got three first rounders plus maybe the best five-category contributor not named Braun or Kemp. I know I need to step up the overall level of my SP because so many people are drafting aces, but at the same time I don't want to chase.
SP1 Madison Bumgarner (5/44) -- really wanted MadBum. Probably reached a little, but he wasn't going to make it back to me in another 14 picks, and I felt like both he and Lester would be gone (as Greinke, Hamels, Gallardo, Haren, Weaver and Price already were). He and Lester were the last two guys available that I felt comfortable as my aces.
SP2 Jon Lester (6/57) -- he fell in my lap and I don't mind loading up on quality SP's in a 10-teamer in rounds 5-9 or so. In hindsight, it makes me upset about reaching for MadBum, but I really don't mind all that much after my first four picks.
SS Elvis Andrus (7/64) -- great value here. Last SS on the board I'm drafting before the 20th round.
SP3 Daniel Hudson (8/77) -- putting another horse in the stable.
2B Brandon Phillips (9/84) -- 20/20/280 and decent counting stats at 84? Preach.
CI Aramis Ramirez (10/97) -- 30/100 at 97? Amen.
MI Dan Uggla (11/104) -- Razz rated 39th overall. Classic CBS BA skew. Didn't want to fill my MI here, but I hate being power light and I couldn't pass up this value.
OF3 Brett Gardner (12/117)
OF4 Drew Stubbs (13/124)
-- love Stubbs here. What's the difference between Stubbs and Crawford or Desmond Jennings? Not much, except 50-60 picks.
SP4 Cory Luebke (14/137)
RP1 Jason Motte (15/144)
-- first closer for me here in the 15th. (Kimbrel went 53)
SP5 Shaun Marcum (16/157) -- more quality depth
SP6 Max Scherzer (17/164) -- his WHIP is high, but how many guys after 160 have the chance to give you 15W and 200K? Plus my staff was low ratio to this point
RP2 Huston Street (18/177) -- Street is my donkeycorn pick for this season.
OF5 Logan Morrison (19/184) -- LoMo has the chops to be a top-100 player. 80/25/80/.275 for OF5? Twice on Muesday.
I hate to ride the Matthew Berry train, but at this point of the draft, I wanted to fill in my catchers, bench and look for any value in the form of good or injured players coming off of a dismal year (Lind, Dunn, Rios, Santana, Peavy, Volquez). I wasn't quite sure how to play it because this is when I'm usually rounding out the pitching, but I already had 6 solid SP and two closers.
C1 Ryan Doumit (20/197) -- Catcher! Punt! Catcher! Punt. Was looking at Wieters when he fell to around 70, but I didn't have the heart to do it. I'd much rather have Andrus.
RP3 Chris Perez (21/204) -- Gotta love spring training injury shrouding the value of 30-35 saves right here. SAGNOF, but in Perez's case, saves got a beardy face.
BN1 Mike Minor (22/217) -- could be better than Beachy.
U Colby Rasmus (23/224) -- I was going to draft a Dunn/Rios/Lind type U, but Lind got drafted and I figured let's err on the side of up. Debated between Rasmus and Bourjos, but I already had approximately 220 SBs on my roster. Can't get 11 points in that category.
BN2 Kenley Jansen (24/237) -- Jansen is rosterable even if he's not the closer. K rate is insane and WHIP is miniscule.
BN3 Chris Sale (25/244) -- love Sale this year. He may only throw 160 innings as a starter, but before he was converted to a closer, he was drafted as a Randy Johnson-type. Dominant power stuff.
BN4 Jake Peavy (26/257)
BN5 Edinson Volquez (27/264)

C2 Chris Iannetta (28/277) -- again, why pay for C2?
BN6 Nolan Reimold (29/284) -- flyer on a guy who could mirror LoMo.
Nice, entertaining read... Your team looks very strong, hard to go wrong with those first four... I think you took too many SPs in a row starting with Bum, but it didn't matter in this league since either your competition is terrible (Uggla) or b/c CBS rankings are so skewed....
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

Return to “Baseball - General Player Discussion”