Teams that will play above expectations this year:

News, Injuries, Rosters - All baseball all the time!
Disco

Re: Teams that will play above expectations this year:

Postby Disco » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:41 pm

I gotta think the Rockies take the NL West this year, that division always changes hands it seems like, the Giants still don't have the offense, the Dodgers don't have it all together, and the Padres are just plain brutal. Arizona should still be good, so it should be an entertaining race between the two this year if the Rocks can make the most of their pitching staff on the road and outslug the opposition in Denver.

Spud Johnson

Postby Spud Johnson » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:03 pm

I think Colorado should have a legit chance of winning the West, and I am not even from Colorado!
Making this place better one post at a time

AdmiralTrey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby AdmiralTrey » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:12 pm

I'll agree with everyone that the Rockies have a chance and that they should be a good team, but I think that Arizona is a little bit better and is going to win the West again. If you look at both rosters:

OF1 J. Upton = Cargo
OF2 Krispie Young = Cuddyer, but Krispie has more upside
OF3 Kubel > Fowler (Fowler has no power and was CS a lot last year. He has the upside, but has been going in the wrong direction.)
1B Goldschmidt = Helton but Goldschmidt has way more upside
2B Hill > Scutaro
SS Drew << Tulowitzki
3B Roberts > Blake
C Montero > Hernandez

Pitching:
SP1 Kennedy > De La Rosa
SP2 Hudson = Chacin
SP3 Cahill > Guthrie
SP4 Collmenter > Whoever the Rockies choose?
SP5 Saunders > Whoever the Rockies choose? The Rockies have some upside guys to close out their rotation, but who are they going to wind up going with?

I think that the D-Backs' bullpen is better, too.

12 Team H2H, 4 unrestricted keepers
C - Mike Napoli
1B - Eric Hosmer
2B - Jedd Gyorko
3B - Todd Frazier
SS - Jhonny Peralta
OF - Ryan Braun
OF - Mike Trout
OF - Shin-Soo Choo
UTL - Brett Lawrie
UTL - Adam LaRoche
Bench - Austin Jackson
DL - Aaron Hill Hanley Ramirez

SP - Clayton Kershaw, Madison Bumgarner, Ubaldo Jimenez, Jhoulys Chacin, Ervin Santana
RP - Glen Perkins, Heath Bell, Jose Veras, Ernesto Fireri, Edward Mujica, Carlos Marmol, J.J. Putz

RCL - Cracking the WHIP - Admiral Trey
C - Yadier Molina
1B - Albert Pujols
2B - Jose Altuve
3B - Jedd Gyorko
SS - Jimmy Rollins
MI - Everth Cabrera
CI - Justin Morneau
OF - Jason Heyward, Shin-Soo Choo, Michael Morse, Nick Swisher, Ben Revere
UTL - Kendrys Morales
Bench - Garrett Jones, David Freese

SP - Justin Verlander, Cliff Lee, Ryan Dempster, Ubaldo Jimenez
RP - Jonathan Papelbon, John Axford, Glen Perkins, Ryan Cook, David Robertson

Big Magoo
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Big Magoo » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:42 pm

I'll agree with everyone that the Rockies have a chance and that they should be a good team, but I think that Arizona is a little bit better and is going to win the West again. If you look at both rosters:

OF1 J. Upton = Cargo
OF2 Krispie Young = Cuddyer, but Krispie has more upside
OF3 Kubel > Fowler (Fowler has no power and was CS a lot last year. He has the upside, but has been going in the wrong direction.)
1B Goldschmidt = Helton but Goldschmidt has way more upside
2B Hill > Scutaro
SS Drew << Tulowitzki
3B Roberts > Blake
C Montero > Hernandez

Pitching:
SP1 Kennedy > De La Rosa
SP2 Hudson = Chacin
SP3 Cahill > Guthrie
SP4 Collmenter > Whoever the Rockies choose?
SP5 Saunders > Whoever the Rockies choose? The Rockies have some upside guys to close out their rotation, but who are they going to wind up going with?

I think that the D-Backs' bullpen is better, too.

Big Magoo
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Big Magoo » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:53 pm

Not sure if I submitted that last post correctly, but I basically wanted to say that while I agree that Arizona is the best team in the West on paper, I was just pointing out that the Rockies could contend for the division title, and no one seems to recognize that (or so I thought). It depends what you were looking for in terms of this post. I'm not saying that they are World Series contenders, just that they will be better than most people think and could take the division if things fall right. If you were referring to non-playoff teams from last year that could make a big splash this year, then I'd put the Angels, Reds, and Red Sox ahead of the Rockies, but those other teams aren't flying under the radar.

Bourne

Postby Bourne » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:50 pm

The giants only need one more run per game than their opponent. That isn't hard to get 1-3 runs manufactured per game with Posey back helping both hitting and pitching. Why are they discounted?
RCL Cracking the Whip: (5x5 ESPN roto)
C: Weiters
1B,3B,CI: Encarnacion, Wright, Alanso
2B,SS,MI: Getz, Kozma, Uggla
5xOF: Kemp, Holliday, Hunter, Soriano, Crisp
1xUtil: Markakis
Bn: Hill, Aybar
DL: Hart
SP: MadBum, Zimmermann, Morrow, Annibal Sanchez, Lynn, Anderson
RP: League, Parnell, Benoit, Hernandez

12 team F&F: (6x6 Yahoo! H2H with OPS and Losses)
C: Cervelli
1B,3B,CI: Gold, Zimmerman, Frazier
2B,SS,MI: Phillips, Ruthledge, Bonifacio
4xOF: Braun, Hamilton, Cruz, Hunter
2xUtil: Chris Davis, Span
SP: Latos, Moore, Zimmermann, Niese, Milone, Griffin, Miller, Cingrani, ~Streamer~
RP: Holland, Janssen, Perkins, Bailey, Valverde
2xNA: Straily, Grandal

Oregon Nut Cups

Postby Oregon Nut Cups » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:33 pm

Yeah, personally I have the Giants winning that division. Arizona has a great 1-2 in the rotation, but Cahill is a bit of a wild card and the other two are - to me - Jon Garlands/Mark Buerhles. Ryan Roberts and Aaron Hill coupled with either a 'fixed' Stephen Drew or a Wily Willy Bloomquist and a rookie 1B who could hit .230, I don't see how their offense is that much farther above to make them the clearcut favorites over the Giants. I think it will come down to the wire, but see San Fran improving their offense enough to make their pitching win out.
ONC
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.

Big Magoo
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Big Magoo » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:36 pm

I see the West as a three team race as well, but I still see the Rockies as the only "under the radar" team there. I don't think that the D-backs or Giants are underrated, but the Rockies are. That's the only point that I am trying to make. But it does make for a fun discussion.

AdmiralTrey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby AdmiralTrey » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:24 pm

I think for the Giants there are a few things that need to be answered:

1. Is Posey going to bounce back from missing a lot of time and be an effective hitter? (I think he will)
2. Is Melky Cabrera going to have anywhere near the success that he had last year? (I think he's a 15 HR hitter at most in San Francisco and that's being generous)
3. Who the hell is going to play at their middle infield positions and are they going to do anything?
4. Will they get any production out of Huff/Belt at first base?

Clearly the Giants' pitching destroys everyone else in the division, but if all of these questions are answered in a negative way, it's going to be hard for the Giants to win. I think they'll compete for the division, too, but it's definitely not going to be tough. As a residual Giants fan due to Barry Bonds, I hope they can win out, but we'll see how things go.

12 Team H2H, 4 unrestricted keepers
C - Mike Napoli
1B - Eric Hosmer
2B - Jedd Gyorko
3B - Todd Frazier
SS - Jhonny Peralta
OF - Ryan Braun
OF - Mike Trout
OF - Shin-Soo Choo
UTL - Brett Lawrie
UTL - Adam LaRoche
Bench - Austin Jackson
DL - Aaron Hill Hanley Ramirez

SP - Clayton Kershaw, Madison Bumgarner, Ubaldo Jimenez, Jhoulys Chacin, Ervin Santana
RP - Glen Perkins, Heath Bell, Jose Veras, Ernesto Fireri, Edward Mujica, Carlos Marmol, J.J. Putz

RCL - Cracking the WHIP - Admiral Trey
C - Yadier Molina
1B - Albert Pujols
2B - Jose Altuve
3B - Jedd Gyorko
SS - Jimmy Rollins
MI - Everth Cabrera
CI - Justin Morneau
OF - Jason Heyward, Shin-Soo Choo, Michael Morse, Nick Swisher, Ben Revere
UTL - Kendrys Morales
Bench - Garrett Jones, David Freese

SP - Justin Verlander, Cliff Lee, Ryan Dempster, Ubaldo Jimenez
RP - Jonathan Papelbon, John Axford, Glen Perkins, Ryan Cook, David Robertson

OaktownSteve

Postby OaktownSteve » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:40 pm

As an A's fan, I it pains me to say anything nice about the Giants, but I think they had a couple of moves that I liked this offseason. Before I say the nice thing, it does please me that they had to give up their best pitching prospect to rent Beltran for a couple of bad months.

If you go around the diamond, I like Posey. They have two chances at first. Either Belt steps up or Huff comes back around. Freddie Sanchez was playing well before he got hurt last year. If he comes back he's a nice player for them. SS is a wasteland, but they just need somebody to play defense there. I like Panda. He can hit. I think if he's heavy he'll still hit but he won't field as well. I liked both the Pagan and Cabrera trades. I think the Pagan move was particularly solid. Took advantage of the Mets situation. They'll use some combo of Belt/Huff/Schierholz at the other OF spot. I think they'll be better this year offensively.

Return to “Baseball - General Player Discussion”