Teams that will play above expectations this year:

News, Injuries, Rosters - All baseball all the time!
Oregon Nut Cups

Teams that will play above expectations this year:

Postby Oregon Nut Cups » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:33 pm

Just wanted to see what people feel about some teams going into the year, regardless of fantasy output. These teams don't have to be playoff-bound, nor playoff caliber just surprises with regards to how well they play. For me, its the Chicago White Sox. There's alot of negativity going into the 2012 season with regards to them and I think a new voice in the clubhouse is going to do wonders there. Not a cut against Ozzie, but his style doesn't work with every type of player. I'll be curious to see what they get out of Morel, Beckham, Dunn, & Peavy this year. My philosophy was none of those guys worked out well when it came to his coaching style and I feel all 4 are going to have surprisingly good years by compared to where they're being drafted...ok, so maybe there IS a fantasy baseball slant in this post :)
ONC
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.

Grey

Re: Teams that will play above expectations this year:

Postby Grey » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:40 pm

Depends on what we're thinking of as teams that will be bad to know who will play over their heads... Do the Nats and Blue Jays count? They haven't made the playoffs in forever or ever... Everyone's counting the Brewers out with the loss of Braun and Fielder but their pitching can keep them in most games...
Grey Albright

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

OaktownSteve

Postby OaktownSteve » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:41 pm

I think the Mariners are team to keep an eye on offensively. That is not to say we're going to see breakout superstars coming out of Seattle given the talent and the park, but I like the fact that they have eliminated a lot of the black holes out of their line up. They had so many automatic outs the last couple of years. They have a relatively solid player or prospect pretty much everywhere now and I think they may be able to make few more trips through the lineup this year and score a few more runs have more guys hitting with runners on base. I think that'll give all their guys a little bump above where their being projected which might create some opportunities, especially in AL only.

Oregon Nut Cups

Postby Oregon Nut Cups » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:00 pm

Depends on what we're thinking of as teams that will be bad to know who will play over their heads... Do the Nats and Blue Jays count? They haven't made the playoffs in forever or ever... Everyone's counting the Brewers out with the loss of Braun and Fielder but their pitching can keep them in most games...
The Brewers fit more in line with what I was thinking. Nats would be a surprise the other direction if they don't finish .500 for the season. Blue Jays only problem is their pitching staff, but I like the direction their team is headed. I could see them as a surprise if they finish at or near .500 considering their division.
I think the Mariners are team to keep an eye on offensively. That is not to say we're going to see breakout superstars coming out of Seattle given the talent and the park, but I like the fact that they have eliminated a lot of the black holes out of their line up. They had so many automatic outs the last couple of years. They have a relatively solid player or prospect pretty much everywhere now and I think they may be able to make few more trips through the lineup this year and score a few more runs have more guys hitting with runners on base. I think that'll give all their guys a little bump above where their being projected which might create some opportunities, especially in AL only.
As a Washington born kid and now an Oregon resident, I want to believe but...I just don't see it. Hopefully Smoak and Montero come alive this year, that would bring me hope. Wish we had moved Ichiro when he was 34 or 35 for some prospects but he put butts in the seats so I can't entirely fault management for that. I'd really like to see them pick up Eric Young, Jr. from the Rockies since they'll never, you know, play the kid and he should come cheap have him become our leadoff hitter. Maybe we could sell them some middling-talent flyball pitchers since they seem to really love those types :)
Last edited by Oregon Nut Cups on Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ONC

OaktownSteve

Postby OaktownSteve » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:12 pm

Like I said, I don't think they are going to set the world on fire, but they are not going to be quite so futile up and down the line. Jack Cust, the middle infield, Tuiasasopo, nothing from the DH. I'm just saying that the sum of the parts looks like more of a whole this year and that rising tide will lift all the boats. Just enough that you can add a few numbers and maybe get guys at a discounts. Especially in really deep leagues. Makes Carp more interesting. I think Ackley is overvalued anyway. Could take a look at Kyle Seager with how awful 3b is. Makes a healthy Gutierrez more interesting. Smoak is a big wild card for them.

Bourne

Postby Bourne » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:49 pm

I think the red sox because somehow 4 letters thinks they will be 4th in the al east. I don't know how anyone will beat the angels though. Seriously like 110+ wins and unbeatable in a series
RCL Cracking the Whip: (5x5 ESPN roto)
C: Weiters
1B,3B,CI: Encarnacion, Wright, Alanso
2B,SS,MI: Getz, Kozma, Uggla
5xOF: Kemp, Holliday, Hunter, Soriano, Crisp
1xUtil: Markakis
Bn: Hill, Aybar
DL: Hart
SP: MadBum, Zimmermann, Morrow, Annibal Sanchez, Lynn, Anderson
RP: League, Parnell, Benoit, Hernandez

12 team F&F: (6x6 Yahoo! H2H with OPS and Losses)
C: Cervelli
1B,3B,CI: Gold, Zimmerman, Frazier
2B,SS,MI: Phillips, Ruthledge, Bonifacio
4xOF: Braun, Hamilton, Cruz, Hunter
2xUtil: Chris Davis, Span
SP: Latos, Moore, Zimmermann, Niese, Milone, Griffin, Miller, Cingrani, ~Streamer~
RP: Holland, Janssen, Perkins, Bailey, Valverde
2xNA: Straily, Grandal

AdmiralTrey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby AdmiralTrey » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:49 pm

I think that the Pittsburgh Pirates are going to win the Central this year. I expected them to outplay their projections last year, and they did,l but they ultimately kind of sucked it up in the second half by going 8-22 in August and 10-16 in September. They were a young team and weren't able to handle the grind of the entire season as a competitive ball club. Now they've added Erik Bedard and A.J. Burnett to help McDonald, Karstens, Correia, and Morton out, McCutchen will soon be entering his prime, Tabata ought to stay healthy, Pedro Alvarez ought to not suck as terribly as he did last year, Garrett Jones can platoon to avoid lefties with Presley in the OF and McGehee at 1B, and Clint Barmes can hire someone else to carry his groceries for him! I think that they'll definitely finish the season over .500 and will fight for the division lead, though the fight will be tough with the Reds being really strong and the Brewers still having great pitching and 2/3rds of Ryan Braun.

12 Team H2H, 4 unrestricted keepers
C - Mike Napoli
1B - Eric Hosmer
2B - Jedd Gyorko
3B - Todd Frazier
SS - Jhonny Peralta
OF - Ryan Braun
OF - Mike Trout
OF - Shin-Soo Choo
UTL - Brett Lawrie
UTL - Adam LaRoche
Bench - Austin Jackson
DL - Aaron Hill Hanley Ramirez

SP - Clayton Kershaw, Madison Bumgarner, Ubaldo Jimenez, Jhoulys Chacin, Ervin Santana
RP - Glen Perkins, Heath Bell, Jose Veras, Ernesto Fireri, Edward Mujica, Carlos Marmol, J.J. Putz

RCL - Cracking the WHIP - Admiral Trey
C - Yadier Molina
1B - Albert Pujols
2B - Jose Altuve
3B - Jedd Gyorko
SS - Jimmy Rollins
MI - Everth Cabrera
CI - Justin Morneau
OF - Jason Heyward, Shin-Soo Choo, Michael Morse, Nick Swisher, Ben Revere
UTL - Kendrys Morales
Bench - Garrett Jones, David Freese

SP - Justin Verlander, Cliff Lee, Ryan Dempster, Ubaldo Jimenez
RP - Jonathan Papelbon, John Axford, Glen Perkins, Ryan Cook, David Robertson

Big Magoo
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Big Magoo » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:40 pm

I like the Rockies this year. Nobody is talking about them at all, but I like the moves they've made this offseason. They have two of the best players in the game, Cuddyer gives them another solid middle-of-the-order bat, and Fowler looks like he could take a step forward this year. If Helton, Scutaro, and Hernandez have anything left in the tank, that's a pretty solid lineup. The bullpen has some good power arms too. Big question is the rotation, but Guthrie and Chacin are decent, De La Rosa should be back in May/June, and Pomeranz looks pretty solid. A lot of ifs, but it's still a weak division, so why not?

Grey

Postby Grey » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:38 pm

I think the reality is no one talks about any small market teams outside of their markets unless they make big splashes in free agency. No one talks about Colorado outside of Colorado, no talks about Pittsburgh outside of Pittsburgh and so on.
Grey Albright

Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

AdmiralTrey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby AdmiralTrey » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:59 pm

It's a sad realty, but it's definitely true... It's why ESPN still always picks the Yankees or Red Sox to win the division even though the Rays have won the AL East twice in the last 4 years.

12 Team H2H, 4 unrestricted keepers
C - Mike Napoli
1B - Eric Hosmer
2B - Jedd Gyorko
3B - Todd Frazier
SS - Jhonny Peralta
OF - Ryan Braun
OF - Mike Trout
OF - Shin-Soo Choo
UTL - Brett Lawrie
UTL - Adam LaRoche
Bench - Austin Jackson
DL - Aaron Hill Hanley Ramirez

SP - Clayton Kershaw, Madison Bumgarner, Ubaldo Jimenez, Jhoulys Chacin, Ervin Santana
RP - Glen Perkins, Heath Bell, Jose Veras, Ernesto Fireri, Edward Mujica, Carlos Marmol, J.J. Putz

RCL - Cracking the WHIP - Admiral Trey
C - Yadier Molina
1B - Albert Pujols
2B - Jose Altuve
3B - Jedd Gyorko
SS - Jimmy Rollins
MI - Everth Cabrera
CI - Justin Morneau
OF - Jason Heyward, Shin-Soo Choo, Michael Morse, Nick Swisher, Ben Revere
UTL - Kendrys Morales
Bench - Garrett Jones, David Freese

SP - Justin Verlander, Cliff Lee, Ryan Dempster, Ubaldo Jimenez