Gerald Dempsey "Buster" Posey III

News, Injuries, Rosters - All baseball all the time!
citizen5
Sponsor
Sponsor

Gerald Dempsey "Buster" Posey III

Postby citizen5 » Fri May 27, 2011 11:36 pm

July 14th, 1970 All-Star Game, Cincinnati, OH. 23yo AL Rookie Ray Fosse, having put up 16HR 50 RBI and .300+ AVG at the mid way point, is in the game in the 10th INN. Pete Rose rounds 3rd and collides with Fosse permanently rearranging his left shoulder. Fosse returns that season but only adds 2 more HR and his career is forever altered. He plays in only 750 games over the next 7 years.

I wish Posey a speedy recovery but even if he returns to the field, I don't see him going back behind the plate. A shoulder injury robbed Fosse of his power but legs are even more important to a C.

As the Giants' GM I ask you, would you put him back behind the plate?

At FSU, after an All-American Freshman season at SS, Posey moves to C his Sophomore year. I think it's time to move him back to the left side of the IF. Next Spring, after 10 mos. of rehabbing, when Buster walks back onto a field... I'd throw him a Wilson A2000 and point him at 3B. I bet he'd win a Gold Glove.
Baseball
12 Team Points League Monthly Scoring
C/1B/2B/3B/SS/3OF/DH/5SP/1Closer
Batting: (1B, BB, R, RBI=1pt) (2B, OFAST, SB=2) (CSC=3) (3B=4) (HR=5) (CS, PBC=-1) (E=-2)
Pitching: (INN, K=1pt) (PKO=2) (QS=10) (RW=7) (W=6) (S=11) (WP=-1) (B=-2) (BS=-7)
(Only 5 SP subs allowed per month)
FA Pickups $$$ Subs $

C Narvaez
1B Profar
2B Albies
3B Riley
SS Machado
OF Stanton
OF Betts
OF Conforto
DH Santana, D
SP Corbin
SP Giolito
SP Canning
SP Minor
SP Boyd
CL Vazquez

Bench
1B Mancini
OF Benintendi
SP Lucchesi
SP Eflin
SP Nelson
SP Matz
SP Plesac

DL Dozier, H
DL Glasnow
M Lazardo

Football
8 Team H2H League, non-PPR
2QB/2RB/2WR/TE/2Flex/K/DST

Thanks for the feedback and advice in advance.
Cheers,
Citizen5

Grey

Re: Gerald Dempsey "Buster" Posey III

Postby Grey » Sat May 28, 2011 10:08 am

No, I wouldn't.
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

randy082054

Postby randy082054 » Sat May 28, 2011 10:31 am

Posey's injury is much more reminiscient of the injury Jason Kendall sustained early in his career. Kendall's injury was not at all pleasant to view; he sustained a dislocated ankle & missed the rest of his season...as I recall, he got hurt just before the All Star break.
Kendall returned the next year at catcher & hardly missed a beat in terms of offensive numbers. I expect Posey to do likewise, catching.

Virinder

Postby Virinder » Sat May 28, 2011 6:12 pm

The thing is, much of Posey's value lies in his defense at the backstop. If he moved to 3rd, where would the Giants put Sandoval?? And if he moved to 1st, where would they put Belt?? Ultimately, Posey is/was supposed to be the future catcher of the Giants, and I don't see them moving him and drafting another catcher. Sure, Posey could play any position on the field (except pitcher) and succeed, but the Giants really don't have anyone else who could produce at the same level and provide defense like Posey does at the Catcher position. This was a contact injury, similar to a football injury, and if Posey can come back from it and produce like he could before, he should stay at catcher.
Yahoo 13-team, Roto, Keeper - 35 innings min/wk
R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, W
HITTERS & PITCHERS
C: Wellington Castillo SP: Jake Arrieta
1B: Albert Pujols SP: Danny Salazar
2B: Jonathan Schoop RP: Shawn Tolleson
3B: Nolan Arenado RP: Drew Storen
SS: Starlin Castro P: Steven Matz
OF: Jason Heyward P: Taijuan Walker
OF: Justin Upton P: Brad Ziegler
OF: Mookie Betts P: Luis Severino
UTIL: Khris Davis BN: Steve Cishek
UTIL: Delino DeShields BN: Aaron Nola
BN: Carlos Santana BN: Fernando Rodney
BN: Brandon Phillips

Lucc
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Lucc » Sat May 28, 2011 7:01 pm

I agree. Posey isn't going back to Catcher. Frankly he could never be the same. He's going to 1b is what I'd assume. I have him in my NL only auction league for $5 salary, and am going to dump him for the best Catcher possible for this year and move on. Sucks donkey balls but some times it aint worth the headache.
13 Tm Mixed 11 Major 3 Minor Keeper "Midnight Crazies" (Est. 2003, 2014 Champion, 2015 runner up)
Batters
C
1B Abreu, Jose (Keeper) (trade jones, Lester, Joe Ross & Brantley)
2B Altuve, Jose (Keeper)
3B Frazier, Todd (Keeper)
SS Bogaerts, Xander (Keeper)
MI
CI Donaldson, Josh (Keeper)
OF McCutchen, Andrew (Keeper)
OF Cespedes, Yoenis (keeper) (trade puig)
OF Grichuk, Randal (Keeper)
OF
OF
DH
DH

Pitchers
P Bumgarner, Madison (keeper)
P Archer, Chris (Keeper)
P Rodon, Carlos (Keeper)
P
P
P
P
P
P
p

Minor - David Dahl
Minor - Max Kepler
Minor - Sean Manaea

thorbs

Postby thorbs » Sat May 28, 2011 11:52 pm

Sando stays at 3B, Posey to 1B, Belt to a corner outfielder spot
12-team, 10x10 H2H, NS + H, OPS, etc.; 20 MLB, 8 MiLB keepers
Cx2: Barnhart/Diaz
1B/3B/CI: Votto/Arenado/Bryant
SS/2B/MI: Story/J-Ram/E Escobar
LF/CF/RF/OFx2: Trout/Betts/Ozuna/Inciarte/Taylor
UTILx2: Polanco, Odor
Bench: Nimmo, Camargo, Parra, Piscotty
SP: Kluber, Darvish, Verlander, Cueto, Weaver, Hellickson, D Rodriguez
RP: Doolittle, Knebel, Dominguez, Jeffress, Alvarado, Hirano
DL: Bryant/Soler/Darvish/Ryu
Minors: Robles (WAS), Verdugo (LAD), Duplantier (ARI), Diaz (MIA), Hernandez (TEX), Riley (ATL), Marsh (LAA), Stewart (DET)

Virinder

Postby Virinder » Sun May 29, 2011 12:19 am

^@Thorbs: Maybe, but then would the Giants really play Whiteside at catcher for the long-term future?? Guess we'll have to see how he fares the rest of this season...

FWIW...Posey himself claims to want to return to catching duties when healthy:

May 28 C Buster Posey told Giants beat reporters Friday on a conference call that he doesn't believe he'll play again this season. Posey, who incurred a broken left leg and torn ankle tendons in a collision at home plate with Florida's Scott Cousins on Wednesday, said that he will return to catching when he is completely healthy, dismissing any idea of a position change.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/857 ... SYbvOFCLcF
Yahoo 13-team, Roto, Keeper - 35 innings min/wk
R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, W
HITTERS & PITCHERS
C: Wellington Castillo SP: Jake Arrieta
1B: Albert Pujols SP: Danny Salazar
2B: Jonathan Schoop RP: Shawn Tolleson
3B: Nolan Arenado RP: Drew Storen
SS: Starlin Castro P: Steven Matz
OF: Jason Heyward P: Taijuan Walker
OF: Justin Upton P: Brad Ziegler
OF: Mookie Betts P: Luis Severino
UTIL: Khris Davis BN: Steve Cishek
UTIL: Delino DeShields BN: Aaron Nola
BN: Carlos Santana BN: Fernando Rodney
BN: Brandon Phillips

A-Rod's Cousin

Postby A-Rod's Cousin » Sun May 29, 2011 1:25 am

I don't own Posey anywhere but it sucks he got hurt as far as real baseball goes. Considering a position change for him because of his talent is legit, but this rule change garbage just bothers me. I hate when the pussification of sports/society/culture/etc becomes the topic of conversation in the media.

thorbs

Postby thorbs » Sun May 29, 2011 5:41 pm

@Virinder -- there are a few FA options next season (this season Bengie Molina and Pudge are the names being thrown around).

Jason Kendall KC
Yadier Molina STL *
Dioner Navarro LAD
Jorge Posada NYY
Ivan Rodriguez WAS
Brian Schneider PHI
Kelly Shoppach TB *
Chris Snyder PIT *

Yadier Molina stands out to me from that group as a guy that calls a good game and isn't a black hole offensively.
12-team, 10x10 H2H, NS + H, OPS, etc.; 20 MLB, 8 MiLB keepers
Cx2: Barnhart/Diaz
1B/3B/CI: Votto/Arenado/Bryant
SS/2B/MI: Story/J-Ram/E Escobar
LF/CF/RF/OFx2: Trout/Betts/Ozuna/Inciarte/Taylor
UTILx2: Polanco, Odor
Bench: Nimmo, Camargo, Parra, Piscotty
SP: Kluber, Darvish, Verlander, Cueto, Weaver, Hellickson, D Rodriguez
RP: Doolittle, Knebel, Dominguez, Jeffress, Alvarado, Hirano
DL: Bryant/Soler/Darvish/Ryu
Minors: Robles (WAS), Verdugo (LAD), Duplantier (ARI), Diaz (MIA), Hernandez (TEX), Riley (ATL), Marsh (LAA), Stewart (DET)

AdmiralTrey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby AdmiralTrey » Sun May 29, 2011 6:34 pm

I don't own Posey anywhere but it sucks he got hurt as far as real baseball goes. Considering a position change for him because of his talent is legit, but this rule change garbage just bothers me. I hate when the pussification of sports/society/culture/etc becomes the topic of conversation in the media.

I loved how so many people NEVER thought to complain about the rule despite being around baseball for decades...:
Giants broadcaster Duane Kuiper was quietly seething in the dugout, calling for change.

"I don't know how," he said. "They can figure that out in the Major League Baseball offices. But you can't just have a guy out there defenseless like that. I stood out there defenseless at second base for 10 years (as a player) until they changed the rules about guys sliding with the sole intent of taking somebody out. So they can change it at home plate, too."
Manager Bruce Bochy, a former catcher, seemed to be leaning that way, as well.

"I know it's part of baseball," he said before Thursday's disheartening 1-0 loss to Florida. "I was a catcher. I understand that. But we have to consider something that would protect these guys from runners coming with that kind of force."
Buster Posey's agency said Thursday it had complained to Major League Baseball and the Players Association about the play at home plate Wednesday night that left the Giants' catcher with a broken leg bone and torn ankle ligaments.

Jeff Berry of CAA Sports said in an e-mailed statement that the company had made "suggestions for the future," but declined to make the recommendations public.

I agree with not pussifying the sport... Football is already that way. Defensive backs and linebackers literally have to sit back and wait for a receiver to make a clean catch, land, and get their bearings before hitting them because if they don't wait, it's a 15 yard personal foul and a fine. What happened to being able to hit a guy as soon as the ball hits their hands?? How many big plays have occurred not because a defender was unable or out of position to make a play, but because they felt forced to wait until the opportunity was lost?

I know one thing for sure... If I was still playing baseball, no rule would keep me from slamming into the catcher in a play at the plate. You don't just give up a chance to score a run because you're concerned about the guy you're competing against. ESPECIALLY not in extra innings. Catchers know the risks they face. Let them deal with them.

Jeff Passan got it right:
"Had the victim been Eli Whiteside, the rules would be fine. He is fungible. Buster Posey isn't. That's why people are talking about it, not because it was a dirty play (it wasn't.) Eight years ago in the playoffs we saw a similar play, but in that case the catcher held onto the ball. People celebrated the play. It was good, clean, hard-nosed -- the same as Wednesday night's. The same as baseball should be."
The media will stop crying eventually...

10 Team 6X6 H2H Dynasty Year 5
C - Wilson Ramos
1B - Freddie Freeman
2B - Gleyber Torres
3B - Nolan Arenado
SS - Trea Turner
OF - Mike Trout
OF - Ronald Acuna
OF - Yordan Alvarez
OF - Kris Bryant
UTL - Javier Baez
UTL - Adalberto Mondesi
Bench - Rhys Hoskins, Miguel Sano, Byron Buxton, Jonathan Schoop, Rowdy Tellez

SP - Gerrit Cole, Stephen Strasburg, Blake Snell, Chris Sale, Jose Berrios, Chris Paddack, Mike Soroka, German Marquez
RP - Ken Giles, Dellin Betances, Taylor Rogers, Geovanny Gallegos, Colin Poche, Corey Knebel
Pedo NA Purgatory Felipse Vazquez

Prospects:
SP: Grayson Rodriguez, Josiah Gray, Seth Corry, Franklin Perez, Ryan Weathers, Blake Walston
RP: James Karinchak
OF: Luis Robert, Alek Thomas, Jesus Sanchez, Kameron Misner, Bayron Lora
IF: Vidal Brujan, Alexander Mojica, Malcolm Nunez, Greg Jones, Gunnar Henderson
C: Sam Huff, Luis Campusano, William Contreras

Results:
2019 - 4th place. Finished regular season 20 games ahead of 2nd place but fell apart in the playoffs.
2018 - 1st place. Finished regular season 24 games ahead of 2nd place and won in the playoffs.
2017 - 2nd place. Finished regular season 5 games ahead of 2nd place but lost in the playoffs.
2016 - 1st place. Finished regular season 1.5 games behind 1st but won in the playoffs

Return to “Baseball - General Player Discussion”