Bedard or Ogando

News, Injuries, Rosters - All baseball all the time!
harrisonobeid

Bedard or Ogando

Postby harrisonobeid » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:26 am

I have Alexi Ogando, but Bedard was recently dropped in my league. I'm thinking of picking up Bedard and dropping Ogando. Everyone else on my bench is more valuable than Ogando (with the exception of maybe Kyle McClellan, but he has Dave Duncan as a pitching coach so I give him the advantage between the two.) So Bedard for Ogando, good move?
The Chicken McStudpiece Value Meal (12 team, H2H roto: AVG, SLG, RBIs, Rs, SBs, BBs/KOs, ERA, WHIP, K/9, Ws - Ls, SVs, IPs)

C - Hank Conger
1B - Kevin Youkilis
2B - Gordon Beckham
3B - David Wright
SS - Elvis Andrus
OF - Andrew McStudpiece
OF - Justin Upton
OF - Carlos Quentin
U - Jay Bruce
SP - Jered Weaver
SP - Cole Hamels
SP - Chad Billingsley
SP - Daniel Hudson
SP - Madison Bumgarner
RP - John Axford
RP - Jordan Walden
BN - Adam Jones
BN - Geovany Soto
BN - Nate McClouth
BN - Domonic Brown
BN - Brandon Belt
BN - Jose Tabata
BN - Justin Masterson
BN - Alexi Ogando
BN - Michael Pineda
BN - Erik Bedard
BN - Kyle Drabek
BN - Kyle McClellan

harrisonobeid

Re: Bedard or Ogando

Postby harrisonobeid » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:31 am

Right, and I forgot to mention that I am starting Freddy Sanchez over Gordon Beckham while Beckham is slumping. Obviously I will be dropping him when Beckham gets back on track (notice how I didn't use the word 'if'.)
The Chicken McStudpiece Value Meal (12 team, H2H roto: AVG, SLG, RBIs, Rs, SBs, BBs/KOs, ERA, WHIP, K/9, Ws - Ls, SVs, IPs)

C - Hank Conger
1B - Kevin Youkilis
2B - Gordon Beckham
3B - David Wright
SS - Elvis Andrus
OF - Andrew McStudpiece
OF - Justin Upton
OF - Carlos Quentin
U - Jay Bruce
SP - Jered Weaver
SP - Cole Hamels
SP - Chad Billingsley
SP - Daniel Hudson
SP - Madison Bumgarner
RP - John Axford
RP - Jordan Walden
BN - Adam Jones
BN - Geovany Soto
BN - Nate McClouth
BN - Domonic Brown
BN - Brandon Belt
BN - Jose Tabata
BN - Justin Masterson
BN - Alexi Ogando
BN - Michael Pineda
BN - Erik Bedard
BN - Kyle Drabek
BN - Kyle McClellan

Grey

Postby Grey » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:15 pm

Sure, go with Bedard.
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

wudaben
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby wudaben » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:52 pm

Seriously?? At this point I'm either selling Ogando high or I'm going to start him until his arm falls off!
12 Team H2H Points Weekly Lineups:
Hitting Scoring: HR: 4 SB: 2 1B: 1 2B: 2 3B: 3 BB: 1 R: 1
Pitching Scoring: Win: 10 Loss: -5 Inn: 3 K: 1 ER: -2 Hits: -1 BBI: -1 Save: 8 BS: -3 CG: 5 SO: 5 No Hitter: 5 Perfect Game: 10

MStark

Postby MStark » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:27 pm

I've got Ogando too and benched him at home vs Toronto today. Ogando has a ridiculous FB rate and doesn't strike out as many as you would think he would with his high-90's FB/slider. At The House Ruth Would Have Hit 1200 homers in, Ogando had his only bad game because of the long ball. Ya gotta think that if he pitches 1/2 his games in Arlington, he'll be similarly vulnerable once the book is written on him.

On the other hand, it's hard to argue with success. He's given up more than 2 runs in just one game. He gave up 2 runs today. In his three previous starts, he surrendered zero runs.

Also, even if he has a semi-stank outing, he'll have a decent chance of picking up a W with that line-up behind him. Also, if Ogando starts to suck, he'll move to the bullpen and probably be second in line behind Feliz.

I dunno. It'd be really, really difficult for me to drop a "kid" that's been as successful as Ogando has been. I just don't think Bedard ceiling is high enough.
ESPN 12 team, All MLB Auction $260 budget
Draft 3/18/14

C: Brian McCann (kept 1 yr @ $5)
IB: Eric Hosmer (through 2016, $17)
2B: Anthony Rendon ($5)
3B: Manny Machado (through 2016, $14)
SS: Ian Desmond (kept 1 yr @ $8)
MI: Jean Segura (through 2017, $10)
CI: Edwin Encarcion (kept 1 yr @ $27)
OF: Bryce Harper (through 2015, $14)
OF: Nick Castellanos ($7)
OF: Ben Revere ($5)
OF: Curtis Granderson, ($8)
OF: Brett Gardner ($4)
Util: Billy Butler ($13)
P: Stephen Strasburg (kept 1 yr @ $14)
P: Michael Pineda ($4)
P: Danny Salazar (through 2017, $14)
P: Aroldis Chapman (kept 1 yr @ $21)
P: Zack Wheeler (through 2017, $14)
P: Grant Balfour ($13)
P: Nate Jones ($10)
P: Yordono Ventura ($8)
P: Sonny Gray ($14)
B: Miguel Montero ($4)
B: Gregory Polanco ($3)
B: Denard Span ($1)

wudaben
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby wudaben » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:58 pm

I agree that the FB% is high but if you watch him pitch a ton of those fly balls are pop ups to the infield/shallow outfield. It seems that he has a tendency to throw that fastball up in the zone and because of his speed people just aren't able to get the head of the bat on it so far. In the game against the Yankees I'm pretty sure two of the homers were both off speed pitches.

I've made sure to have myself parked in front of my tv every time that he has pitched so that I could get a good feel for his value since I also noticed the dip in K rate this season. As seen in an article I read earlier today, this could be attributed to the fact that as a reliever he didn't have to face lefties near as often or it could also be that he is just pitching to contact. Either way, today he looked good and the K's were back so I'm going to hold for another month and see if his value can go up enough so that I can deal him.
12 Team H2H Points Weekly Lineups:
Hitting Scoring: HR: 4 SB: 2 1B: 1 2B: 2 3B: 3 BB: 1 R: 1
Pitching Scoring: Win: 10 Loss: -5 Inn: 3 K: 1 ER: -2 Hits: -1 BBI: -1 Save: 8 BS: -3 CG: 5 SO: 5 No Hitter: 5 Perfect Game: 10

MStark

Postby MStark » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:58 am

Yup to everything you said.

I watched the Yankee game and you are correct. IIRC Cano and Grandy both got him on low and inside sliders that got too much of the plate. And a ton of his FBs are pop-outs.

I just wonder if there's something about his delivery that keeps batters from picking up his fastball. I don't know too many pitchers that make their living off high heat at the MLB level. Sure, there are plenty that will get strikes high in the zone (especially while ahead in the count), but I can't think of anyone that lives up there the way Ogando does.

Again, it's tough to argue with results. I don't recall any long-balls hit off his high fastball.
ESPN 12 team, All MLB Auction $260 budget
Draft 3/18/14

C: Brian McCann (kept 1 yr @ $5)
IB: Eric Hosmer (through 2016, $17)
2B: Anthony Rendon ($5)
3B: Manny Machado (through 2016, $14)
SS: Ian Desmond (kept 1 yr @ $8)
MI: Jean Segura (through 2017, $10)
CI: Edwin Encarcion (kept 1 yr @ $27)
OF: Bryce Harper (through 2015, $14)
OF: Nick Castellanos ($7)
OF: Ben Revere ($5)