Rotation?

News, Injuries, Rosters - All baseball all the time!
Rpales
Sponsor
Sponsor

Rotation?

Postby Rpales » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:26 am

I'm a little worried about my staff. There's tons of upside with Scherzer/Haren/Marcum on the back end, but something about Gallardo/Liriano as my front-liners has me worried. Between Gallardo's sub-par WHIP and Liriano's injury past, I'm not sold on them as staff anchors just yet.

That said, I have some interest in Phillips and can maybe combo him with one of my back three for a household name starter (I think Verlander/Lester/Johnson may be in play). I'd slot in Raburn at 2B after that.

Am I being paranoid or should I stick with what I have for now?

Thanks for the input.
12-Team, Standard 5x5

C- Gattis
1B - Votto
2B - Kipnis
3B - Miggy
SS - EverCab
OF - Choo
OF - Moss
OF - Revere
Util - Matt Adams
BN - Brantley, Calhoun

SP - Bumgarner / Cobb / Homer Bailey / Minor / Wacha / Sonny Gray /
RP - Frieri / Henderson / Nate Jones / Benoit

sean1981
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Re: Rotation?

Postby sean1981 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:40 am

I don't think you can follow Grey's pitching advice to a T and then worry all that much about your staff. I think this would be a much better staff if you had Kershaw or Lester as your ace instead of Liriano, but Liriano is flat-out dominant and pitches in a terrific pitcher's park.

If you are concerned about risk, think about getting a boring 3-4 like Lilly or Kuroda instead of a Scherzer. I think it's that pick that piles on more unnecessary risk than the others. Your staff got compoundingly risky.

Rpales
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: Rotation?

Postby Rpales » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:10 pm

I did a ton of mocks from the 7-spot in the draft and concluded that my team was consistently stronger overall when I waited until the 6th round to get a pitcher. Between 3B and SS being so shallow, then the OF dwindling after 5th-6th round, I wanted 5 offensive players first.

That said, I was consistently left with Weaver/Gallardo/Hanson to choose from first. After that, Liriano was way down in the Yahoo ranks so I grabbed him 7th. And with all the consistent praise of Scherzer and Marcum, taking them over the boring Lilly, etc, was easy.

Meanwhile, my opponents have holes at 3B and OF but have a Lester/Hallady/Kershaw and only like notable SPs total, instead. I don't like that arrangement. I took McCutcheon when they took Josh Johnson and then cleaned up on the middle-tier SPs.
12-Team, Standard 5x5

C- Gattis
1B - Votto
2B - Kipnis
3B - Miggy
SS - EverCab
OF - Choo
OF - Moss
OF - Revere
Util - Matt Adams
BN - Brantley, Calhoun

SP - Bumgarner / Cobb / Homer Bailey / Minor / Wacha / Sonny Gray /