CarGo over Pujols? ESPN really is full of morons.

News, Injuries, Rosters - All baseball all the time!
JD, the Hockey Man

CarGo over Pujols? ESPN really is full of morons.

Postby JD, the Hockey Man » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:34 am

I just read an article on ESPN by Steve Berthiaume in which he states he would take CarGo over Pujols in a "'If you could start a team tomorrow for the next 10 years' argument". Are you kidding me? I know CarGo's upside, what he's doing this year (I own him in two leagues) and love the kid, but you can't tell me that if you were assembling your team today and you could take either or, you'd go with CarGo. And if we're talking about taking any other player over Pujols, we're talking the first player you choose for your squad. Pujols has never had a bad season in the bigs, he's fighting for a triple crown and is still the most feared hitter in all of baseball. The only thing he lacks compared to CarGo is the speed, which you don't need when you trot around the bases as frequently as Albert does. Yes, CarGo is 24 and Albert is 30... so? You know for the 6-7 years (give or take) he will be mostly healthy and all together deadly at the plate. With CarGo, a guy who runs and plays the outfield, injuries will inevitably limit him in some way or another and as he ages (and/or as his power increases) his speed will evaporate and if I'm not mistaken, isn't that his only real offensive advantage over Pujols? Talk about overrated. Again, I love CarGo and think he's on the way to being a superstar but his home/away splits (as noted by some commenters on the article) raise eyebrows. But to take him over Pujols? Madness if you ask me.

Why does ESPN suck so hard? And why do these hire these guys who clearly know squat about the game. Eric Karabell comes to mind here, what a HACK that guy is. Grey, you should have his job.

Grey

Re: CarGo over Pujols? ESPN really is full of morons.

Postby Grey » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:03 pm

Nice rant.
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

AdmiralTrey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby AdmiralTrey » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:27 pm

I'd still take Pujols at this point in time, but I would like to hop in (It's open house tonight at my school and I'm still sweating from softball practice and I have no parents in the room at the moment, so I'm bored) to remark that getting older doesn't necessarily evaporate speed... Juan Pierre already has 49 steals this year as a 33 year old, Rickey Henderson stole 31 in less than 100 games as a 41 year old (and 66 as a 39 year old...), Otis Nixon stole 50+ at age 36, 37, etc.

A lot of guys lose their speed as they hit their 30's, but it's not an automatic thing. Sure, they might lose a step or two, but Cargo has 30 steal speed; I see no reason why he can't still be stealing 20 a year in ten years. .290, 35 HR's and 20 SB's a year with 100+ RBI/Runs, which I see as a realistic age 27-31 line for Cargo, is still elite.

But yeah, I agree. ESPN sucks. The day I got the MLB and NFL Networks I decided that I would never EVER again watch ESPN unless there was a game on that I really wanted to watch and I had no other way to watch it, and I've stuck by that... I don't think I ever go to their website, not even for player stats.

10 Team 6X6 H2H Dynasty Year 5
C - Wilson Ramos
1B - Freddie Freeman
2B - Gleyber Torres
3B - Nolan Arenado
SS - Trea Turner
OF - Mike Trout
OF - Ronald Acuna
OF - Yordan Alvarez
OF - Kris Bryant
UTL - Javier Baez
UTL - Adalberto Mondesi
Bench - Rhys Hoskins, Miguel Sano, Byron Buxton, Jonathan Schoop, Rowdy Tellez

SP - Gerrit Cole, Stephen Strasburg, Blake Snell, Chris Sale, Jose Berrios, Chris Paddack, Mike Soroka, German Marquez
RP - Ken Giles, Dellin Betances, Taylor Rogers, Geovanny Gallegos, Colin Poche, Corey Knebel
Pedo NA Purgatory Felipse Vazquez

Prospects:
SP: Grayson Rodriguez, Josiah Gray, Seth Corry, Franklin Perez, Ryan Weathers, Blake Walston
RP: James Karinchak
OF: Luis Robert, Alek Thomas, Jesus Sanchez, Kameron Misner, Bayron Lora
IF: Vidal Brujan, Alexander Mojica, Malcolm Nunez, Greg Jones, Gunnar Henderson
C: Sam Huff, Luis Campusano, William Contreras

Results:
2019 - 4th place. Finished regular season 20 games ahead of 2nd place but fell apart in the playoffs.
2018 - 1st place. Finished regular season 24 games ahead of 2nd place and won in the playoffs.
2017 - 2nd place. Finished regular season 5 games ahead of 2nd place but lost in the playoffs.
2016 - 1st place. Finished regular season 1.5 games behind 1st but won in the playoffs

JD, the Hockey Man

Postby JD, the Hockey Man » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:42 pm

...getting older doesn't necessarily evaporate speed... Juan Pierre already has 49 steals this year as a 33 year old, Rickey Henderson stole 31 in less than 100 games as a 41 year old (and 66 as a 39 year old...), Otis Nixon stole 50+ at age 36, 37, etc.
I see no reason why he can't still be stealing 20 a year in ten years. .290, 35 HR's and 20 SB's a year with 100+ RBI/Runs, which I see as a realistic age 27-31 line for Cargo, is still elite.
I wasn't necessarily saying that age would deplete his wheels, but that is often the case. I was saying that as he ages his game may change. If he's belting 30+ HR a year, and playing center, the Rockies may decide they don't WANT him to run as much. He may get hurt, and that might limit his speed, etc. There are a myriad reasons guys stop running, and the guys you listed save Henderson (Arguably the best ever at stealing bases) are pure speed/avg guys. They keep running because that's what they do. CarGo has options, and other options that may be more beneficial for him and his club at the time.

So I agree, I see no reason why he can't, given his current state, be a 20/20, 30/20 player... but he's so young and has so little track record and there are so many variables to say you'd (Not you, anyone) take Pujols over CarGo is madness.

Plus! Pujols swiped 16 last year and has 12 this year, not that you want a guy like Pujols to run but are you serious? Pujols is comparable to Ruth, CarGo cannot be spoken in the same breath as the Babe.
Nice rant.
Thanks! ESPN really raises my blood pressure sometimes, mind boggling the swill they post as expert analysis.

AdmiralTrey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby AdmiralTrey » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:48 pm

Yeah, I agree, I mean I'd LOVE for everyone to start taking CarGo over Pujols in leagues next year, but I'd never dream of it for the 2011 season. If Cargo goes out and has a 30/30 season with a .315 average next year, I might start to consider it in 2012, but even then I'd probably stick with Pujols.

But still, his speed shouldn't go away. The Rockies let Tulo run last year and even though he's been hurt, he's running this year, they let Holliday run in the past, that one year that Preston Wilson didn't suck he had 14 SB's, etc. I don't see why they'd want to discourage CarGo from doing so, too.

10 Team 6X6 H2H Dynasty Year 5
C - Wilson Ramos
1B - Freddie Freeman
2B - Gleyber Torres
3B - Nolan Arenado
SS - Trea Turner
OF - Mike Trout
OF - Ronald Acuna
OF - Yordan Alvarez
OF - Kris Bryant
UTL - Javier Baez
UTL - Adalberto Mondesi
Bench - Rhys Hoskins, Miguel Sano, Byron Buxton, Jonathan Schoop, Rowdy Tellez

SP - Gerrit Cole, Stephen Strasburg, Blake Snell, Chris Sale, Jose Berrios, Chris Paddack, Mike Soroka, German Marquez
RP - Ken Giles, Dellin Betances, Taylor Rogers, Geovanny Gallegos, Colin Poche, Corey Knebel
Pedo NA Purgatory Felipse Vazquez

Prospects:
SP: Grayson Rodriguez, Josiah Gray, Seth Corry, Franklin Perez, Ryan Weathers, Blake Walston
RP: James Karinchak
OF: Luis Robert, Alek Thomas, Jesus Sanchez, Kameron Misner, Bayron Lora
IF: Vidal Brujan, Alexander Mojica, Malcolm Nunez, Greg Jones, Gunnar Henderson
C: Sam Huff, Luis Campusano, William Contreras

Results:
2019 - 4th place. Finished regular season 20 games ahead of 2nd place but fell apart in the playoffs.
2018 - 1st place. Finished regular season 24 games ahead of 2nd place and won in the playoffs.
2017 - 2nd place. Finished regular season 5 games ahead of 2nd place but lost in the playoffs.
2016 - 1st place. Finished regular season 1.5 games behind 1st but won in the playoffs

Return to “Baseball - General Player Discussion”