Punting Average

Discuss your mock drafts, your real drafts, what's on draft... Anything to do with drafting is found here.
adamh

Punting Average

Postby adamh » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:22 pm

I have done several mock drafts where I found myself lagging a little bit behind in average, and instead of trying to make up for it by sacrificing the other offensive categories, I've just pounded on the offensive stats. It seems like avg. would be the most obvious category to "punt" if it's going to be something. And also, you can find plenty of power and or/speed guys later in the draft. Do you think starting a draft with some sort of Fielder and OF Power/Speed combo (Beltran, Soriano), grabbing a few stud pitchers in Rounds 3-7, and rounding out your offense later on with guys like Delgado, J Upton, Ankiel, R Weeks, and Shoppach is a good plan? I think it gives you very high marks in all your categories minus avg.

Grey

Re: Punting Average

Postby Grey » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:39 pm

I completely agree with you. I don't try and punt anything, but I tend to look at average last. Because average fluctuates so much because of luck it's hard to play for it anyway.
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

adamh

Postby adamh » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:45 pm

( I meant Howard instead of Fielder. Anyways...)

Yeah, I agree. I never set out trying to punt but if the best value early on is a couple 260-270 hitters, I think your better off going in that direction. Obviously, if you're lucky enough to start off with Pujols, Cabrera, or even Utley, you're better off not wasting what you just paid for that average. But it does seem to be the easiest category to get away not paying attention to.

If you do land someone like Howard early on, who the hell are the guys that you look for later on to boost your average? And how do you do it when you are likely to wait so long on 2B and C?

Grey

Postby Grey » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:50 pm

I don't look to boost the average ever cause then you're looking at guys like Ichiro and Polanco. If you draft Howard, just don't draft Dunn, Krispie or Reynolds or any other low average guys.
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

nmdunkel
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby nmdunkel » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:55 am

Rather than thinking about punting avg, think about how many +.300 hitters you're drafting EARLY. That will tell you how many low-mid average guys you can invest in. The late round .300 hitters won't help you in anything else. When consciously thinking about this the worst avg I've ever had is .280. And that's still competitive.

Example....let's say you grab Pujols in the first round. You're then set-up perfectly to take Adam Dunn in the 6th-7th (I've gotten him in the 7th in two leagues). Which equals.....about a .290-.300 average. And 70-80 HR. Then you're not forced into taking a pure-power guy (like Howard) in the early rounds when you might not especially want to.

Robbie Cano is a good boost to your average as well, and he's a cheap 2B w/good upside this year.

I disagree with the notion that you can get plenty of power late in the draft. You can't (except Hawpe...seriously undervalued). Don't wait on it. You can get maybe average power hitters (18-25), but so can everyone else. Everybody's team has a bunch of 20 HR guys. So you're not actually helping yourself do anything other than having average power for your league. Power is the hardest to trade for, and the easiest to trade with. Therefore, I see it as a premium. But a lot of this depends on your ability to trade. Peace, bro!

Return to “Fantasy Baseball Drafts Discussion”