Very unusual 6x7 league

Discuss your mock drafts, your real drafts, what's on draft... Anything to do with drafting is found here.
pharmdriz

Very unusual 6x7 league

Postby pharmdriz » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:03 pm

Yes, you read that right. I joined a league with people from my classes, and the head honcho created a 6x7 league. Categories are:
R, HR, RBI, SB, AVE, E (yes, that's errors...what's the world coming to?)
W, K, S, ERA, WHIP, L, BS (loses and blown saves added...)

Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, 3 OF, 2 UT, 3 SP, 3 RP, 4 P, 2 DL, 8 BN...That's 30 positions to be filled. I cannot even fathom who would think that to be a good idea. I guess we're looking for quite the mental challenge in this league given the set-up. I'm going to look into getting the BN trimmed down to 1-3 and the P trimmed down to 8 total. I think that's the best I'll be able to accomplish.

To top this off, we aren't having a live draft because we're all pharmacy students who work absurd days and times, so it's all going to be based on my rankings to create an automatic draft. Is it apparent that I really don't want to be in this league but pretty much have to since I've committed and it would be bad form to make my own league and steal people? So I'm looking to make the best of the situation.
Last bits of details. There is a min IP of 12 per week (it's H2H), no trade deadline, and it will be somewhere between 12 and 20 teams.
Step 1 seems to be to see what players or positions benefit or are hurt by these unusual additional categories. This is where I'm hoping to get the most amount of feedback. In looking at the batting stats, only errors are added. This should hurt the 2B, 3B, and SS while helping OF and 1B. It seems like both UT should go to 1B and/or OF. Agree?
Step 2 is to evaluate the effect of the pitching stipulations. With 12 IP min, lots of RP is a viable strategy to consider. I'm concerned about blown saves hurting this strategy though. I'd be giving up W, K, and BS most weeks. That's too much to give up unless I use some weird strategy like all batters and closers with the occasional value SP for the first 15 rds. It that way too out there or should I give it some credence?
Step 3 is to see what P are affected by BS and L. BS were already covered with the no Mr. B unless I go balls-to-the-wall with that strategy. For L, I guess just pitchers on teams whose offenses are garbage are to be avoided unless they drop precipitously low? I'm looking at you, Matt Cain, FHer, Halladay, every Rockies SP because Coors is too volatile. Anyone else that stands out?
Step 4 is using that absurd bench. Normally I'll have only P on my bench, but with 8 spots, it seems like maximizing ABs would be a good thing to look into. This is on Yahoo, so prospects become available once they're brought up unless they are randomly put into the universe of all available players by whatever metric Yahoo uses to determine those things. Should I look into storing a prospect or 2?
Additionally, the positions are 10 batters, 10 pitchers, 10 whatevers. This is different from the normal 14 batters, 9 pitchers I've mocked with in the off-season. I guess I'm just looking for the best strategy to take advantage of all of these peculiarities.
I know this is absurdly overwhelming, and I'm thinking about just running with my usual strategy except adding a focus on 1B and OF. Of course, any advice or thoughts/questions would be appreciated. I start spring break tomorrow, so I'll actually be actively chatting on Razzball unless something comes up, so I look forward to the discussions.

Thanks for making it through this dissertation of a post.

Grey

Re: Very unusual 6x7 league

Postby Grey » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:20 pm

Step 1 seems to be to see what players or positions benefit or are hurt by these unusual additional categories. This is where I'm hoping to get the most amount of feedback. In looking at the batting stats, only errors are added. This should hurt the 2B, 3B, and SS while helping OF and 1B. It seems like both UT should go to 1B and/or OF. Agree?

3rd and SS would be the most affected. A late round catcher or 2nd baseman isn't ideal in most situations, but yours isn't most.
Step 2 is to evaluate the effect of the pitching stipulations. With 12 IP min, lots of RP is a viable strategy to consider. I'm concerned about blown saves hurting this strategy though. I'd be giving up W, K, and BS most weeks. That's too much to give up unless I use some weird strategy like all batters and closers with the occasional value SP for the first 15 rds. It that way too out there or should I give it some credence?
Too out there. Like you said, giving away BS, Ws and Ks is too much.
Step 3 is to see what P are affected by BS and L. BS were already covered with the no Mr. B unless I go balls-to-the-wall with that strategy. For L, I guess just pitchers on teams whose offenses are garbage are to be avoided unless they drop precipitously low? I'm looking at you, Matt Cain, FHer, Halladay, every Rockies SP because Coors is too volatile. Anyone else that stands out?
I wouldn't look at Ls. They're too random. Look at Lincecum last year. He outpitched Cain, but not by as much as his Win-Loss record would indicate.
Step 4 is using that absurd bench. Normally I'll have only P on my bench, but with 8 spots, it seems like maximizing ABs would be a good thing to look into. This is on Yahoo, so prospects become available once they're brought up unless they are randomly put into the universe of all available players by whatever metric Yahoo uses to determine those things. Should I look into storing a prospect or 2?
I wouldn't store a prospect other than maybe Wieters in your league. I also wouldn't try to stream pitchers unless you're way behind. That'll only increase your chance for losses. Just fill up your bench with 75% pitchers and hold them out of bad matchups.
Additionally, the positions are 10 batters, 10 pitchers, 10 whatevers. This is different from the normal 14 batters, 9 pitchers I've mocked with in the off-season. I guess I'm just looking for the best strategy to take advantage of all of these peculiarities.
I know this is absurdly overwhelming, and I'm thinking about just running with my usual strategy except adding a focus on 1B and OF. Of course, any advice or thoughts/questions would be appreciated. I start spring break tomorrow, so I'll actually be actively chatting on Razzball unless something comes up, so I look forward to the discussions.

Thanks for making it through this dissertation of a post.
The problem with your league is your minimum IP is so low you can really manipulate it. You can get a great start on Monday, 2 saves and pull everyone from your pitching for the week. Then as the other guy tries to beat you, they'll end up gaining (but losing in) Losses, Blown Saves, ERA and WHIP. Though feel free to discuss this further, but it seems like a red flag to me.
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

pharmdriz

Postby pharmdriz » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:40 pm

It seems like a huge red flag to me also. I'm gonna talk to the guy heading it up and try to get him to go to something a lot more standard. Thanks for taking the time to look at the situation though. It's not hard for me to talk myself into almost entirely ignoring wins when it comes to analyzing SP, but when losses are thrown in there as well, it gets a little hairy in my mind. Hopefully this will all be moot and he'll just change to something standard. I'm glad we both agree that streaming pitchers would be a very unusable strategy most weeks.

Freak
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Freak » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:55 pm

I'm pretty sure you don't draft for DL spots. You only have 28 players to draft.

;)

Return to “Fantasy Baseball Drafts Discussion”