2nd Razzball Commenters' Mock Draft - The Results

Discuss your mock drafts, your real drafts, what's on draft... Anything to do with drafting is found here.
Grey

Re: 2nd Razzball Commenters' Mock Draft - The Results

Postby Grey » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:26 pm

Thanks to Steve and others for a solid draft! I was also surprised at the competitive balance that everyone brought to the table. Big O said it best, "snipers everywhere!"
That being said, my team-picked 2nd:

C Kelly Shoppach C-CLE
C Kurt Suzuki C-OAK
1B Derrek Lee 1B-CHC
2B Brian Roberts 2B-BAL
3B Alex Rodriguez 3B-NYY
SS Michael Young SS-TEX
MI Cristian Guzman SS-WSH
CI Jorge Cantu 1B/3B-FLA
OF Carlos Quentin OF-CHW
OF Pat Burrell OF-TB
OF Milton Bradley OF-CHC
OF David DeJesus OF-KC
OF Jose Guillen OF-KC
Util David Ortiz DH-BOS
SP CC Sabathia SP-NYY
SP Daisuke Matsuzaka SP-BOS
SP Ervin Santana SP-LAA
SP Ryan Dempster SP-CHC
SP Fausto Carmona SP-CLE
RP Jonathan Broxton RP-LAD
RP Anthony Reyes RP/SP-CLE
P Jair Jurrjens SP-ATL

Basically, I think I've a fair-to-mid level team. Went digging a bit early for pitchers in hindsight, and that probably prevented me from landing another stud OF. I would also expect to have problems in the saves department, so I must become a vulture- thank god I don't play in leagues with this crew...
Above all, the more drafts I do, the better off I think I'll be come opening day!
Any abuse would be appreciated-
I agree with Steve. Your OF would need a bunch of help but you have movable parts. If you held tight, you'd be hurt badly in hitting categories, but you could make some moves to tighten up things.

Closers I'd stay away from, even late:
I say, no closer with a job should be avoided. It'll take every Hanarahanananan, Wilson or Lindstorm while everyone is drafting a bench guy or some other part they will drop after two weeks of the season.

If every closer is taken, I grab MRs like Francisco late. Never too early to vulture saves. They might be brain freezes, but as long as saves is a category, you should grab them.

EDIT: I don't want you to feel jumped on. You did make some great points outside of that.
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

Buttery

Postby Buttery » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:13 pm

Brian McCann C-ATL
C Jorge Posada C-NYY
1B Miguel Cabrera 1B-DET
2B Howie Kendrick 2B-LAA
3B Chone Figgins 3B-LAA
SS Rafael Furcal SS-LAD
MI Rickie Weeks 2B-MIL
CI Paul Konerko 1B-CHW
OF Carlos Beltran OF-NYM
OF Hunter Pence OF-HOU
OF Chris Young OF-AZ
OF Justin Upton OF-AZ
OF Carlos Gomez OF-MIN
Util Kevin Kouzmanoff 3B-SD
SP Tim Lincecum SP-SF
SP Felix Hernandez SP-SEA
SP Max Scherzer SP/RP-AZ
SP Randy Johnson SP-SF
SP John Maine SP-NYM
RP Jonathan Papelbon RP-BOS
RP Joe Nathan RP-MIN
P Frank Francisco RP-TEX

I'm the dude who took MCab over Wright. Sort of spur of the moment, just a feeling about cabrera this year - I think now that he is settled in Detroit he will double his Post ASB #'s this year, which would translate into 40 homers and 140 RBI's. I think those are reachable numbers, with an avg back up in the .320 range. I also hear Citifield will be extreme pitcher's park, though I guess Shea was no hitters paradise. Plus my important league uses Yahoo where MCab is eligible at 1B and 3B which was in the back of my head. Regardless of all the BS, I'd still probably take Wright if push came to shove just for the SB's.

As for the rest of my draft, I never go in with a real plan - just try to adapt to what others are doing and go for the best values. I knew this was a bunch of savvy cats who would let starters and esp closers fall, and I couldn't resist the value of Paps and Nathan in the 5th and 6th. Combine those dudes and you have an ace starter plus the 60+ saves.

Don't love the squad, didn't balance enough upside guys (Upton, Scherzer, King felix) with safe plays but I always like to take a few chances. Definitely didn't mock it out of the park.

I hate Weeks b/c he has f'd me 3 straight years, but I still will draft him in my leagues because I'm stubborn and will be pissed if he lights it up on someone else's squad this year after pooping all over me the last few yrs.

Like others, open to comments/abuse.

jsp2014

Postby jsp2014 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:37 pm

comments from anyone? really never imagined i'd draft any of mauer, tejada, or cliff. teix is so solid which is why i took him, but if i plug howard into this squad i think it's a lot better, since i'm lacking pop as is. thoughts on cliff 5.8? never thought i'd draft him this year, mock or not. my #1 regret is taking soria when marmol/broxton went in the 14th. i play in deep leagues where people hoard MRs so there are always early runs on closers.

just glad it's still january

C - Mauer (6)
C - Laird (21)
1b - Teix (1)
2b - Phillips (4)
ss - Tejada (12)
3b - Longoria (2)
CI - Zimmerman (14)
MI - F.Lopez (22)
of - Crawford (3)
of - Abreu (7)
of - Bruce (8)
of - Span (17)
of - F.Lewis (20)

sp - C.Lee (5)
sp - Greinke (10)
sp - Joba (11)
sp - Baker (13)
sp - Slowey (15)
sp - Lilly (18)
rp - Soria (9)
rp - Mike G (16)

jsp2014

Postby jsp2014 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:40 pm

Brian McCann C-ATL
C Jorge Posada C-NYY
1B Miguel Cabrera 1B-DET
2B Howie Kendrick 2B-LAA
3B Chone Figgins 3B-LAA
SS Rafael Furcal SS-LAD
MI Rickie Weeks 2B-MIL
CI Paul Konerko 1B-CHW
OF Carlos Beltran OF-NYM
OF Hunter Pence OF-HOU
OF Chris Young OF-AZ
OF Justin Upton OF-AZ
OF Carlos Gomez OF-MIN
Util Kevin Kouzmanoff 3B-SD
SP Tim Lincecum SP-SF
SP Felix Hernandez SP-SEA
SP Max Scherzer SP/RP-AZ
SP Randy Johnson SP-SF
SP John Maine SP-NYM
RP Jonathan Papelbon RP-BOS
RP Joe Nathan RP-MIN
P Frank Francisco RP-TEX

I'm the dude who took MCab over Wright. Sort of spur of the moment, just a feeling about cabrera this year - I think now that he is settled in Detroit he will double his Post ASB #'s this year, which would translate into 40 homers and 140 RBI's. I think those are reachable numbers, with an avg back up in the .320 range. I also hear Citifield will be extreme pitcher's park, though I guess Shea was no hitters paradise. Plus my important league uses Yahoo where MCab is eligible at 1B and 3B which was in the back of my head. Regardless of all the BS, I'd still probably take Wright if push came to shove just for the SB's.

As for the rest of my draft, I never go in with a real plan - just try to adapt to what others are doing and go for the best values. I knew this was a bunch of savvy cats who would let starters and esp closers fall, and I couldn't resist the value of Paps and Nathan in the 5th and 6th. Combine those dudes and you have an ace starter plus the 60+ saves.

Don't love the squad, didn't balance enough upside guys (Upton, Scherzer, King felix) with safe plays but I always like to take a few chances. Definitely didn't mock it out of the park.

I hate Weeks b/c he has f'd me 3 straight years, but I still will draft him in my leagues because I'm stubborn and will be pissed if he lights it up on someone else's squad this year after pooping all over me the last few yrs.

you got furcal in like the 9th right? i remember thinking he was a steal considering how thin SS is. my main concerns would just be that it looks like your squad will hit like .250, and you got a lot of injury prone players. but what do i know? i drafted a pretty crappy team

Steve
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Steve » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:56 pm

The top half of your rotation looks nice and you have a couple of stud closers for sure, but maybe at the cost of that relentless & reliable hitting production you want from the first few rounds - but you pointed that out yourself anyway. Also saves are something else you can pick up during the year. Maine has to be good value in the 20th. I agree with jsp - AVE could be a problem. I'm sure we'll be doing more of these BTW, so keep an eye out.
This IS my f**king outlet!

sean1981
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Postby sean1981 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:07 pm

if i plug howard into this squad i think it's a lot better, since i'm lacking pop as is.
I think you put yourself in an early hole by going Longoria/Crawford in Rounds 2 and 3, which was compounded by taking a risky SP in the fifth (Lee) and a catcher in the sixth (Mauer). These are super-high draft picks for risky/low return players. As we've discussed on here ad nauseam, you can get Crawford's stats from Victorino in the 4/5th round.
thoughts on cliff 5.8? never thought i'd draft him this year, mock or not.
The only way I'm thinking about Cliff Lee is to poke fun at the guy who drafts him early. I'd much rather go to war with what I find four rounds later than draft Cliff Lee in the fifth on a power-deficient team. It's easy to pick up a spot starter on the wire, or even a career-year Cy Young type (a la Cliff Lee) in the early season.
my #1 regret is taking soria when marmol/broxton went in the 14th. i play in deep leagues where people hoard MRs so there are always early runs on closers.
I agree that closers go late here, sort of by rule, but I'm seeing Soria go in mock drafts around that same spot just about every draft. After the Big 4 (Rivera, Papelbon, Nathan, K-Rod), The Mexicutioner seems to be the favorite.

BigFatHippo
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby BigFatHippo » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:16 pm

Introducing the All Ryan Team: Doumit, Howard, Theriot, Ludwick. Just sad I didn't get BJ or Nolan.

(C) C Ryan Doumit (C, OF)
(C) C Chris Snyder (C)
(1B) 1B Ryan Howard (1B)
(2B) 2B Ryan Theriot (SS, 2B)
(3B) 3B Aubrey Huff (1B, 3B, DH)
(SS) SS Jimmy Rollins (SS)
(2B, SS) MI Placido Polanco (2B)
(1B, 3B) CI Adrian Gonzalez (1B)
(OF) OF Shane Victorino (OF)
(OF) OF Ryan Ludwick (OF)
(OF) OF Delmon Young (OF)
(OF) OF Elijah Dukes (OF)
(OF) OF Hideki Matsui (OF, DH)
(DH, C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF) Util Carlos Delgado (1B)
(SP) SP Roy Halladay (SP)
(SP) SP Rich Harden (SP)
(SP) SP Carlos Zambrano (SP)
(SP) SP Gavin Floyd (SP)
(SP) SP Joe Saunders (SP)
(RP) RP Brian Fuentes (RP)
(RP) RP Joey Devine (RP)
(SP, RP) P Grant Balfour (RP)

Actually my favorite pick was Delgado at Util, shored up some hitting that I might have lacked had he not been available. Big Z as a #3 was shocking to me, but I'll take him there.

Great draft guys, got scooped, shit on and spit on several times. Just the way we like it.
Yadier Fielder Utley Reyes Beltre Pena Felipe Sizemore Cruz Ludwick AdamJones
Hamels Bills Shields Wandy Weaver K-Rod Franklin Aardsma Izzy
DL-Webb

10 team Roto

sean1981
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Postby sean1981 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:35 pm

I think your assessment of this team is pretty accurate.

In defense of Cabrera>Wright, I think that folks are quick to forget that many arguments were made last year for taking Cabrera ahead of ARod. If 85/37/127/1/.292 is a down-year for Cabrera, I think he more than qualifies as a top-five guy. A lot of the lure with Wright is the 15 or so bonus SBs that I'm concerned might disappear as he ages.

Unfortunately, what you gained with drafting closers early was given away with your weak OF. Krispie, Pence, and high-upside JUpton pretty much project to be the same player and that's a 3/4 OF.

What kills you is this infield:

2B Howie Kendrick 2B-LAA
3B Chone Figgins 3B-LAA
SS Rafael Furcal SS-LAD
MI Rickie Weeks 2B-MIL
CI Paul Konerko 1B-CHW

I loved your comments about Weeks. You and every other owner who has every had him is still waiting for that breakout.

Steve
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Steve » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:44 pm

comments from anyone? really never imagined i'd draft any of mauer, tejada, or cliff. teix is so solid which is why i took him, but if i plug howard into this squad i think it's a lot better, since i'm lacking pop as is. thoughts on cliff 5.8? never thought i'd draft him this year, mock or not. my #1 regret is taking soria when marmol/broxton went in the 14th. i play in deep leagues where people hoard MRs so there are always early runs on closers.

just glad it's still january

C - Mauer (6)
C - Laird (21)
1b - Teix (1)
2b - Phillips (4)
ss - Tejada (12)
3b - Longoria (2)
CI - Zimmerman (14)
MI - F.Lopez (22)
of - Crawford (3)
of - Abreu (7)
of - Bruce (8)
of - Span (17)
of - F.Lewis (20)

sp - C.Lee (5)
sp - Greinke (10)
sp - Joba (11)
sp - Baker (13)
sp - Slowey (15)
sp - Lilly (18)
rp - Soria (9)
rp - Mike G (16)
I was just replying when i saw what sean1981 had written and then I shut down the window by mistake. He made much more more sense than I would have anyway!

What I was going to say was that you're asking a lot of Cliff Lee to live up to a 5th-round pick again - Lilly is decent value in the 18th, though.. Also that Soria has gone about there in just about every mock I've done too - and then I've taken Valverde in the 10th in almost every mock.

Mauer? The argument that you should wait on catchers is pretty valid, but I ended up with Mauer in round 6 in one mock and it didn't ruin my team. his average is pretty reliable - and, as we all know, reliability is good.

Do I recall correctly that you wished you'd taken Carlos Lee instead of Longoria? There's no doubt that I felt a lot better about taking a bit of chance with other positions with him in the bank. I'm finally starting to learn that it's the boring-looking picks that are the foundation of your team.
This IS my f**king outlet!

sean1981
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Postby sean1981 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:53 pm

(SP) SP Roy Halladay (SP)
(SP) SP Rich Harden (SP)
(SP) SP Carlos Zambrano (SP)
(SP) SP Gavin Floyd (SP)
(SP) SP Joe Saunders (SP)
(RP) RP Brian Fuentes (RP)
(RP) RP Joey Devine (RP)
(SP, RP) P Grant Balfour (RP)
I think you could have issues on the pitching side. Harden is an injury risk. Zambrano threw the fewest innings of a full season in his career last year. Although his walks were down, his strikeouts were WAY down. I'm concerned that we might have already seen the best from Z. Also, I'm not buying Floyd or Saunders as they were the beneficiaries of .261 and .269 BABIPs respectively, pointing to extremely "lucky" '08s.

Return to “Fantasy Baseball Drafts Discussion”