2nd Razzball Commenters' Mock Draft - The Results

Discuss your mock drafts, your real drafts, what's on draft... Anything to do with drafting is found here.
Grey

Re: 2nd Razzball Commenters' Mock Draft - The Results

Postby Grey » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:14 am

If anyone cares, sean1981's team is my favorite. My only worry with his team is Burnett a first pitcher. He's not, but Nolasco, Wainwright and Young will be very strong number 2s in 2009. Also, that's an incredible staff considering his first pitcher is in the ninth round and how late he took his closers.
I've been able to get a pretty similarly assembled team in a few mock drafts. I've been waiting until nearly the tenth round to start going SP, and in most drafts I can still find a borderline ace like Volquez available at that time. I find that because I've filled most of my major offensive spots, it's pretty easy for me to come back in rounds 10-14 and round out a group of SPs that are are #2s with upside. I think I did a fairly good job at executing this.

Again, having the hitting in place enabled me to make a late run on RP, and if I get a little lucky and all the $12 salads have been taken early, I can rip through the RP similarly to the SP and put together a solid staff, most of which is happening in the mid to late teens.

By the late teens, and with my team pretty solidified, I'm looking to steal a sleeper for my 5th OF spot and fill the UTIL with another high-upside pick. I think Rasmus was a bit of a reach, but I was definitely able to execute this strategy with Jones in the 200s.

After missing out on a CI in the third (Fielder, Gonzalez) I decided that I was going to build up my OF with multiple category contributors, and hope to get lucky on the corners. I think I accomplished that. In my mind, I reached a little for Chris Davis in the the 7th, but I'm OK with him at 82 and with even Chipper off the board at that point, the corners were getting pretty slim.

My team. Comments/criticism appreciated...

C: Ramon Hernandez (19/226)
C: Jeff Clement (21/250)
1B: Chris Davis (7/82)
3B: Garrett Atkins (8/87)
CI: Adrian Beltre (13/154)
2B: Chase Utley (2/15)
SS: Manny Burriss (22/255)
MI: Dan Uggla (6/63)
OF: Ryan Braun (1/10)
OF: Nick Markakis (3/34)
OF: Alexis Rios (4/39)
OF: Corey Hart (5/58)
OF: Adam Jones (18/207)
SP: AJ Burnett (9/106)
SP: Adam Wainwright (10/111)
SP: Ricky Nolasco (11/130)
SP: Chris Young (12/135)
SP: Justin Verlander (14/159)
RP: BJ Ryan (15/178)
RP: Matt Capps (16/183)
P: Heath Bell (17/202)
UTIL: Colby Rasmus (20/231)
Your team is great. You took fliers where you should (Verlander, Rasmus, Jones and Burriss) and you stacked your team where you should (hitting and 2nd tier pitching). Well played.
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

Steve
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Steve » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:47 am

Oh yeah? Well, my team would have been great too if sean hadn't scooped me on Wainwright, Young and Verlander.

And I even changed the start time to suit him.

Ingrate ;)

Seriously, though, real nice team, sean.

And Grey - thanks for all the input. It's great and much appreciated.
This IS my f**king outlet!

johnwhorfin
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby johnwhorfin » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:51 am

So long as we're posting rosters, here's what I managed to come up with in the #6 slot (sidenote: even though Steve randomized the draft order before we began, I stayed at 6. Since I haven't mock drafted from that slot yet, I was pleased).
C Victor Martinez (C)
C Chris Iannetta (C)
1B Alex Gordon (3B, 1B)
2B Freddy Sanchez (2B)
3B David Wright (3B)
SS Troy Tulowitzki (SS)
MI Aaron Hill (2B)
CI Mike Lowell (3B)
OF Manny Ramirez (OF)
OF Adam Dunn (OF)
OF Nate McLouth (OF)
OF Jacoby Ellsbury (OF)
OF Brad Hawpe (OF)
Util Aaron Rowand (OF)
SP Brandon Webb (SP)
SP Derek Lowe (SP)
SP John Danks (SP)
SP Justin Duchscherer (SP)
SP Andrew Sonnanstine (SP)
RP Brad Lidge (RP)
RP Bobby Jenks (RP)
P Dustin McGowan (SP)

I am not overly impressed with my MI/2B/SS players, although I do think Sanchez gets his average up again, which would help make up for the average drain that I took on when I drafted Dunn. I'm hoping Hill can fully recover to put up 20 HRs and I'm crossing my fingers that Tulo is over his slump/injuries. Every time I queued up a MI to draft, someone would grab him a few picks before me. I was pleasantly surprised to snag Wright in the first round, as I think he's a great all-around player.
In the 4th, I had lined up to take Kemp but he went one spot in front of me, so I grabbed Dunn instead. I wanted Doumit in the 10th, but he went 3 picks ahead of me so I settled on VMart. Similarly, I had pegged Sandoval as my 1B in the 3th, but he went as the last pick of the 12th round, so I ended up with Alex Gordon. Finally, I had queued Colby Rasmus in the 20th round as one of my reach picks, but Sean was thinking along the same lines and thus I ended up with Rowland as my Utility player.
In retrospect, I'm more satisfied with this team than the one I drafted in the 1st Invitational Slow Draft, but not by much. Drafting with a bunch of Razzball commentators is a lot tougher than most of my real drafts, thank goodney, but does provide great practice.
I'm going to participate in a mock draft Wednesday night with Eric Stassin and some other Rotoprofessor.com readers on MDC, and I'll post those results in the forums for comments.
"One martini is all right, two is too many, three is not enough."
- James Thurber

Grey

Postby Grey » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:26 pm

So long as we're posting rosters, here's what I managed to come up with in the #6 slot (sidenote: even though Steve randomized the draft order before we began, I stayed at 6. Since I haven't mock drafted from that slot yet, I was pleased).
C Victor Martinez (C)
C Chris Iannetta (C)
1B Alex Gordon (3B, 1B)
2B Freddy Sanchez (2B)
3B David Wright (3B)
SS Troy Tulowitzki (SS)
MI Aaron Hill (2B)
CI Mike Lowell (3B)
OF Manny Ramirez (OF)
OF Adam Dunn (OF)
OF Nate McLouth (OF)
OF Jacoby Ellsbury (OF)
OF Brad Hawpe (OF)
Util Aaron Rowand (OF)
SP Brandon Webb (SP)
SP Derek Lowe (SP)
SP John Danks (SP)
SP Justin Duchscherer (SP)
SP Andrew Sonnanstine (SP)
RP Brad Lidge (RP)
RP Bobby Jenks (RP)
P Dustin McGowan (SP)
You got fortunate that the 5 team took Cabrera. Most times that's not going to happen. But you adjusted well. Honestly, I was looking at your team and I couldn't figure out who your 2nd round pick was so I needed to go back and look. This has something to do with your offense's trouble. Manny's not really a 2nd round pick. This hurt your 1B/CI and Middle guys. Though your pitching looks like it'll be competitive.
Grey Albright

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

big o
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Postby big o » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:53 pm

grey :
unfortunately, i'm still stupid enough to forget how to drag my team's roster over to this page.

i feel that i have improved over the line-up that i drafted in the 1st Razzball Slow Mock Draft that we did in nov/dec.

i would appreciate your comparitive opinions , should you get the time .

thanking you in advance .

p.s. there were a whole lot of snipers out there this time around . i attribute this to the familiarity of the participants and the free-flow discussions of ideas and opinions you have allowed us here at the razz .
this is a nice group of readers that you have assembled here.
i'm sure there are many more that i will come to know in the days ahead , but these guys , in particular , are a fun group to spend some time with .

Grey

Postby Grey » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:00 pm

grey :
unfortunately, i'm still stupid enough to forget how to drag my team's roster over to this page.

i feel that i have improved over the line-up that i drafted in the 1st Razzball Slow Mock Draft that we did in nov/dec.

i would appreciate your comparitive opinions , should you get the time .

thanking you in advance .

p.s. there were a whole lot of snipers out there this time around . i attribute this to the familiarity of the participants and the free-flow discussions of ideas and opinions you have allowed us here at the razz .
this is a nice group of readers that you have assembled here.
i'm sure there are many more that i will come to know in the days ahead , but these guys , in particular , are a fun group to spend some time with .
I like your team a lot. I think it's a top 3 team depending on in-season managing. I worry about your pitching staff the most, but that's also the area that can be helped by in-season managing the most.

I agree; we got lucky with the readers so far. Hopefully more will come in the days, weeks and months ahead.
Grey Albright

Thanks!

vinko
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Postby vinko » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:46 pm

Thanks to Steve and others for a solid draft! I was also surprised at the competitive balance that everyone brought to the table. Big O said it best, "snipers everywhere!"
That being said, my team-picked 2nd:

C Kelly Shoppach C-CLE
C Kurt Suzuki C-OAK
1B Derrek Lee 1B-CHC
2B Brian Roberts 2B-BAL
3B Alex Rodriguez 3B-NYY
SS Michael Young SS-TEX
MI Cristian Guzman SS-WSH
CI Jorge Cantu 1B/3B-FLA
OF Carlos Quentin OF-CHW
OF Pat Burrell OF-TB
OF Milton Bradley OF-CHC
OF David DeJesus OF-KC
OF Jose Guillen OF-KC
Util David Ortiz DH-BOS
SP CC Sabathia SP-NYY
SP Daisuke Matsuzaka SP-BOS
SP Ervin Santana SP-LAA
SP Ryan Dempster SP-CHC
SP Fausto Carmona SP-CLE
RP Jonathan Broxton RP-LAD
RP Anthony Reyes RP/SP-CLE
P Jair Jurrjens SP-ATL

Basically, I think I've a fair-to-mid level team. Went digging a bit early for pitchers in hindsight, and that probably prevented me from landing another stud OF. I would also expect to have problems in the saves department, so I must become a vulture- thank god I don't play in leagues with this crew...
Above all, the more drafts I do, the better off I think I'll be come opening day!
Any abuse would be appreciated-

Steve
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Steve » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:51 pm

I'm thinking you can probably trade one of your top 3 SPs for some OF help.

Bell, Ray and Hanrahan (assuming they're the closers) have generally been available pretty late in the mocks I've been doing.

I agree, it's great drafting with a bunch of people who are generally thinking along the same lines. Much more competitive than a bunch of computer-generated picks.

sean1981
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Postby sean1981 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:29 pm

Bell, Ray and Hanrahan (assuming they're the closers) have generally been available pretty late in the mocks I've been doing.
I think it's pretty set that Bell inherited the role. Other spots you can look toward if you get in trouble there are:

1. A lot of drafters will forget that Bell closing doesn't mean that Hoffman is out of a job. Hoffman may be around VERY late, especially considering an average-level draft group. His peripherals were surprisingly good last year.

2. Frank Francisco. I've seen this guy be absolutely lights out and he's one CJ Wilson blow up away from a closing role. Last year, he sported a .8 HR/9 and a dominant 3:1 K/BB. Thems closer numbers.

3. Joel Zumaya. It might be dangerous going anywhere near the DET pen after last season, but Zumaya is the closer of the future in my mind. He's just gotta stay heathy. He's set to be available for spring training. According to one scout, "You bring him in for one inning, he throws 100, and you walk to the mound and shake hands..."

4. Take a gamble on Wheeler or Balfour coming away with the TB closer spot. Admittedly, I'm not sure what's going on with that situation, but both Wheeler and Balfour have the experience and the stuff to get the job done.

5. Seattle. JJ Putz thinks Roy Corcoran should close.
“If you’re looking for the guy who’s got it downstairs, Corcoran is best suited to close,” Putz said. “Roy didn’t care what his role was last year, when he came in, he was ready. I think if he knew the job was his, he’d be even better at it. To me, he’s a right-handed Eddie Guardado with a better fastball. He’s not afraid of anyone, and he can do the job.” Maybe it's the Ms year to contend after severely disappointing, and if they do I think they'll have to be on the winning side of a lot of tight games.

Closers I'd stay away from, even late:
1. Lindstrom -- the guy has terrible numbers (barely a 2:1 K/BB ratio and fewer than 1:1 K/9 ratio leaves me thinking he's going to create a lot of jams that he won't get himself out of.

2. Hanrahan. Other than the idea that the Nats are a favorite to win 30 games this year, his numbers make Lindstrom look lights out. In 164.3 lifetime innings, he sports a 4.72 ERA, and 1.6 K/BB.

3. Aaron Heilman -- saw this guy blow a career's worth of games with NYM. He's a walk off HR waiting to happen. Last year's 5.21 ERA and 1.6 WHIP in a weak NL east should scare anyone straight.

Steve
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Steve » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:34 pm

Closers I'd stay away from, even late:
1. Lindstrom -- the guy has terrible numbers (barely a 2:1 K/BB ratio and fewer than 1:1 K/9 ratio leaves me thinking he's going to create a lot of jams that he won't get himself out of.

2. Hanrahan. Other than the idea that the Nats are a favorite to win 30 games this year, his numbers make Lindstrom look lights out. In 164.3 lifetime innings, he sports a 4.72 ERA, and 1.6 K/BB.

3. Aaron Heilman -- saw this guy blow a career's worth of games with NYM. He's a walk off HR waiting to happen. Last year's 5.21 ERA and 1.6 WHIP in a weak NL east should scare anyone straight.
After the way sean drafted yesterday - I'd listen to him ;-)

Return to “Fantasy Baseball Drafts Discussion”