2nd Razzball Commenters' Mock Draft - The Results

Discuss your mock drafts, your real drafts, what's on draft... Anything to do with drafting is found here.
Steve
Sponsor
Sponsor

2nd Razzball Commenters' Mock Draft - The Results

Postby Steve » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:14 pm

And here's how it turned out. Just doing this quickly before I go home from work, so feel free to dive in with your own thoughts, comments etc. Thanks to all who took part. Great fun as usual. If you think it's better to post individual teams, then please do so.
Thanks
S
Attachments
commenters_draft.GIF
commenters_draft.GIF (73.31 KiB) Viewed 2142 times
This IS my f**king outlet!

Steve
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: 2nd Razzball Commenters' Mock Draft - The Results

Postby Steve » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:28 am

What the hey, maybe individual teams are better. Mine's below.

Initial thoughts.
- Got some reliable production in the early rounds
- Are my 1B and CI guys too similar?
- Not overjoyed with taking Oswalt as my No.1 starter, but felt happier after getting Cain. Weaver and Myers (who I took ahead of Bedard) taken pretty much solely on the strength of their Point Shares ratings.
- Missed out on Jacobs so for some reason known only to me took Thome, thus eliminating myself from the McPherson sweepstakes
- Francoeur? Again, Point Shares made me do it.

General observations:
- Lots of very usable SP and OF available late (not that I waited for many of them)
- No need to jump on closers too early - look at sean1981's roster
- Razzball readers are fine bunch of right-thinking people

C Dioner Navarro (C)
C A.J. Pierzynski (C)
1B Joey Votto (1B)
2B Alexei Ramirez (2B, OF)
3B Aramis Ramirez (3B)
SS Jose Reyes (SS)
MI Blake DeWitt (3B, 2B)
CI James Loney (1B)
OF Carlos Lee (OF)
OF Vladimir Guerrero (OF, DH)
OF Torii Hunter (OF)
OF Lastings Milledge (OF)
OF Jeff Francoeur (OF)
Util Jim Thome (DH)
SP Roy Oswalt (SP)
SP Matt Cain (SP)
SP Javier Vazquez (SP)
SP Jered Weaver (SP)
SP Brett Myers (SP)
RP Jose Valverde (RP)
RP Trevor Hoffman (RP)
P Joel Hanrahan (RP)
This IS my f**king outlet!

tigerdeathhouse
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Postby tigerdeathhouse » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:35 am

well if steve is posting his roster i am to :D

thoughts
- I think my team came out a lot better the that mess of a slow draft team
- took alot more injury prone guys then i usually do
- you can make a dominant pitching staff only using pitchers who's first name starts with j
- agree with steve on how many relievers starters and outfielders were available late

C Yadier Molina C-STL
C Miguel Olivo C-KC
1B Albert Pujols 1B-STL
2B Mike Aviles SS/2B-KC
3B Chipper Jones 3B-ATL
SS Stephen Drew SS-AZ
MI Mike Fontenot 2B-CHC
CI Prince Fielder 1B-MIL
OF Curtis Granderson OF-DET
OF Vernon Wells OF-TOR
OF J.D. Drew OF-BOS
OF Rick Ankiel OF-STL
OF Travis Snider OF-TOR
Util Jason Giambi 1B/DH-OAK
SP Jake Peavy SP-SD
SP James Shields SP-TB
SP Jon Lester SP-BOS
SP Matt Garza SP-TB
SP Ben Sheets SP-MIL
RP Francisco Cordero RP-CIN
RP Brian Wilson RP-SF
P Erik Bedard SP-SEA
Eric W

"I need to think something lasts forever, and it might as well be that state of being that is a game; it might as well be that, in a green field, in the sun. " Bartlett Giamatti

Grey

Postby Grey » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:41 am

I think you have a strong team, Steve. I wouldn't worry about your Corner men too much. You definitely need something better from Votto han last year, but he's capable. It's a bit of a question mark, but not too bad. I think Thome is actually good value that late. I don't mind that pick. Myers ahead of Bedard, huh? Hmm... You know the Point Shares is a map, the way you get to a destination should be your own choosing. LIke how I posted my top ten today and will continue to post top 20 lists for positions. I consulted Point Shares, then I made my own decisions on guys I liked.

If anyone cares, sean1981's team is my favorite. My only worry with his team is Burnett a first pitcher. He's not, but Nolasco, Wainwright and Young will be very strong number 2s in 2009. Also, that's an incredible staff considering his first pitcher is in the ninth round and how late he took his closers.
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

Grey

Postby Grey » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:44 am

well if steve is posting his roster i am to :D

thoughts
- I think my team came out a lot better the that mess of a slow draft team
- took alot more injury prone guys then i usually do
- you can make a dominant pitching staff only using pitchers who's first name starts with j
- agree with steve on how many relievers starters and outfielders were available late

C Yadier Molina C-STL
C Miguel Olivo C-KC
1B Albert Pujols 1B-STL
2B Mike Aviles SS/2B-KC
3B Chipper Jones 3B-ATL
SS Stephen Drew SS-AZ
MI Mike Fontenot 2B-CHC
CI Prince Fielder 1B-MIL
OF Curtis Granderson OF-DET
OF Vernon Wells OF-TOR
OF J.D. Drew OF-BOS
OF Rick Ankiel OF-STL
OF Travis Snider OF-TOR
Util Jason Giambi 1B/DH-OAK
SP Jake Peavy SP-SD
SP James Shields SP-TB
SP Jon Lester SP-BOS
SP Matt Garza SP-TB
SP Ben Sheets SP-MIL
RP Francisco Cordero RP-CIN
RP Brian Wilson RP-SF
P Erik Bedard SP-SEA
My biggest concern with your team is your OF, and while that can be helped in waivers, that's a place you don't want to lack too far behind your competition. You have one of the best pitching staffs, for sure. Peavy and Shields are an incredible top of a staff.

Your team's solid. I think your offense is a bit lacking and that'll hurt your team in the end.

"you can make a dominant pitching staff only using pitchers who's first name starts with j" -- HA!
Grey Albright

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

Hank
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Postby Hank » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:57 am

Observations:

Strengths in the OF
My 3B is a problem yet again
Pitching could be great, could smell of an R Kelly after party
C in definite need of breakout
Closers? We don't need no stinking closers.

(C) Matt Wieters (C)
(C) Jarrod Saltalamacchia (C, 1B)
(1B) Carlos Pena (1B)
(2B) Ian Kinsler (2B)
(3B) Troy Glaus (3B)
(SS) Yunel Escobar (SS)
(MI) Robinson Cano (2B)
(CI) Conor Jackson (1B, OF)
(OF) Josh Hamilton (OF)
(OF) B.J. Upton (OF)
(OF) Jason Bay (OF)
(OF) Jermaine Dye (OF)
(OF) Raul Ibanez (OF)
(DH) Orlando Cabrera (SS)
(SP) Chad Billingsley (SP)
(SP) Yovani Gallardo (SP)
(SP) David Price (SP, RP)
(SP) Chien-Ming Wang (SP)
(SP) Johnny Cueto (SP)
(RP) Kerry Wood (RP)
(RP) Brandon Morrow (SP, RP)
(P) Jeremy Guthrie (SP)

Players wanted but missed b/c these other Razzball assholes employ mind-reading techniques:
A. Gordon
M. Jacobs
A. Beltre
J. Votto
J. Giambi

pharmdriz

Postby pharmdriz » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:23 am

Observations:
There were 2 major runs on SP early in the draft, but avoiding those could still net you a great staff. (I'm looking at you sean1981, which I agree with Grey on and think also drafted the best team).
There was good value in the OF options available late, which in this case means people maybe reached on IF.
People weren't afraid to stray from the ADP and there was a scoop or be scooped atmosphere the whole draft. (Bills in the 6th...is he really going to be the NL CY? I mean, I'm voting yes too, Cust kayin', but still...).
It certainly was fun, informative, and competitive. If I stop "borrowing" internet and purchase a plan soon, I'd love to do it again as we get closer. I'm certainly looking forward to being a part of an RCL.

Thoughts:
Jeter, Mags, and Pudge on my team make me want to throw up a little bit.
Actually, everyone that isn't on the mound or in the OF grass makes me a little uneasy (except for Morneau).
I'm banking on that rookie nookie just a little too hard. (Read: Maybin, McPherson, and Tommy Hanson)

C Bengie Molina (C) (R13)
C Ivan Rodriguez (C) (R22)
1B Justin Morneau (1B) (R3)
2B Jose Lopez (2B) (R11)
3B Melvin Mora (3B) (R16)
SS Derek Jeter (SS) (R8)
MI Orlando Hudson (2B) (R17)
CI Dallas McPherson (3B) (R20)
OF Grady Sizemore (OF) (R1)
OF Matt Kemp (OF) (R4)
OF Magglio Ordonez (OF) (R5)
OF Jayson Werth (OF) (R10)
OF Xavier Nady (OF) (R12)
Util Cameron Maybin (OF) (R19)
SP Johan Santana (SP) (R2)
SP Josh Beckett (SP) (R6)
SP Francisco Liriano (SP) (R9)
SP Josh Johnson (SP) (R15)
SP Ubaldo Jimenez (SP) (R18)
RP Francisco Rodriguez (RP) (R7)
RP Carlos Marmol (RP) (R14)
P Tommy Hanson (SP) (R21)

sean1981
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Postby sean1981 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:55 am

If anyone cares, sean1981's team is my favorite. My only worry with his team is Burnett a first pitcher. He's not, but Nolasco, Wainwright and Young will be very strong number 2s in 2009. Also, that's an incredible staff considering his first pitcher is in the ninth round and how late he took his closers.
I've been able to get a pretty similarly assembled team in a few mock drafts. I've been waiting until nearly the tenth round to start going SP, and in most drafts I can still find a borderline ace like Volquez available at that time. I find that because I've filled most of my major offensive spots, it's pretty easy for me to come back in rounds 10-14 and round out a group of SPs that are are #2s with upside. I think I did a fairly good job at executing this.

Again, having the hitting in place enabled me to make a late run on RP, and if I get a little lucky and all the $12 salads have been taken early, I can rip through the RP similarly to the SP and put together a solid staff, most of which is happening in the mid to late teens.

By the late teens, and with my team pretty solidified, I'm looking to steal a sleeper for my 5th OF spot and fill the UTIL with another high-upside pick. I think Rasmus was a bit of a reach, but I was definitely able to execute this strategy with Jones in the 200s.

After missing out on a CI in the third (Fielder, Gonzalez) I decided that I was going to build up my OF with multiple category contributors, and hope to get lucky on the corners. I think I accomplished that. In my mind, I reached a little for Chris Davis in the the 7th, but I'm OK with him at 82 and with even Chipper off the board at that point, the corners were getting pretty slim.

My team. Comments/criticism appreciated...

C: Ramon Hernandez (19/226)
C: Jeff Clement (21/250)
1B: Chris Davis (7/82)
3B: Garrett Atkins (8/87)
CI: Adrian Beltre (13/154)
2B: Chase Utley (2/15)
SS: Manny Burriss (22/255)
MI: Dan Uggla (6/63)
OF: Ryan Braun (1/10)
OF: Nick Markakis (3/34)
OF: Alexis Rios (4/39)
OF: Corey Hart (5/58)
OF: Adam Jones (18/207)
SP: AJ Burnett (9/106)
SP: Adam Wainwright (10/111)
SP: Ricky Nolasco (11/130)
SP: Chris Young (12/135)
SP: Justin Verlander (14/159)
RP: BJ Ryan (15/178)
RP: Matt Capps (16/183)
P: Heath Bell (17/202)
UTIL: Colby Rasmus (20/231)

Grey

Postby Grey » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:08 am

Observations:

Strengths in the OF
My 3B is a problem yet again
Pitching could be great, could smell of an R Kelly after party
C in definite need of breakout
Closers? We don't need no stinking closers.

(C) Matt Wieters (C)
(C) Jarrod Saltalamacchia (C, 1B)
(1B) Carlos Pena (1B)
(2B) Ian Kinsler (2B)
(3B) Troy Glaus (3B)
(SS) Yunel Escobar (SS)
(MI) Robinson Cano (2B)
(CI) Conor Jackson (1B, OF)
(OF) Josh Hamilton (OF)
(OF) B.J. Upton (OF)
(OF) Jason Bay (OF)
(OF) Jermaine Dye (OF)
(OF) Raul Ibanez (OF)
(DH) Orlando Cabrera (SS)
(SP) Chad Billingsley (SP)
(SP) Yovani Gallardo (SP)
(SP) David Price (SP, RP)
(SP) Chien-Ming Wang (SP)
(SP) Johnny Cueto (SP)
(RP) Kerry Wood (RP)
(RP) Brandon Morrow (SP, RP)
(P) Jeremy Guthrie (SP)

Players wanted but missed b/c these other Razzball assholes employ mind-reading techniques:
A. Gordon
M. Jacobs
A. Beltre
J. Votto
J. Giambi
Votto and Beltre would've helped your team. I think strength in the OF is your saving grace for your offense. It still could be a very tough road of it. Your pitching is exciting, but it would've been nice to see a guy or two who's trustworthy. It's a good try with Guthrie to get that guy, but he's not quite strong enough. I'm thinking someone like Vazquez.
Grey Albright

Thanks!

Grey

Postby Grey » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:12 am

Observations:
There were 2 major runs on SP early in the draft, but avoiding those could still net you a great staff. (I'm looking at you sean1981, which I agree with Grey on and think also drafted the best team).
There was good value in the OF options available late, which in this case means people maybe reached on IF.
People weren't afraid to stray from the ADP and there was a scoop or be scooped atmosphere the whole draft. (Bills in the 6th...is he really going to be the NL CY? I mean, I'm voting yes too, Cust kayin', but still...).
It certainly was fun, informative, and competitive. If I stop "borrowing" internet and purchase a plan soon, I'd love to do it again as we get closer. I'm certainly looking forward to being a part of an RCL.

Thoughts:
Jeter, Mags, and Pudge on my team make me want to throw up a little bit.
Actually, everyone that isn't on the mound or in the OF grass makes me a little uneasy (except for Morneau).
I'm banking on that rookie nookie just a little too hard. (Read: Maybin, McPherson, and Tommy Hanson)

2B Jose Lopez (2B) (R11)
SS Derek Jeter (SS) (R8)
OF Matt Kemp (OF) (R4)
SP Johan Santana (SP) (R2)
SP Josh Beckett (SP) (R6)
SP Francisco Liriano (SP) (R9)
SP Josh Johnson (SP) (R15)
SP Ubaldo Jimenez (SP) (R18)
RP Francisco Rodriguez (RP) (R7)
RP Carlos Marmol (RP) (R14)
P Tommy Hanson (SP) (R21)

Try and remove yourself from the fact that you drafted this team and look at this:

2B Jose Lopez (2B) (R11)
SS Derek Jeter (SS) (R8)

Would you think this team had a good shot if that was all I showed you that?

Then you look at this:

OF Matt Kemp (OF) (R4)

And you're like, holy schnikeys this team is great.

I think overall your team could probably trade away Johan for someone like Howard or Utley and make your team much better. Beckett would be fine as your number one.
Grey Albright

Thanks!

Return to “Fantasy Baseball Drafts Discussion”