MDC Draft 12 Team 5X5

Discuss your mock drafts, your real drafts, what's on draft... Anything to do with drafting is found here.
Hank
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

MDC Draft 12 Team 5X5

Postby Hank » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:20 pm

C Chris Iannetta, COL
1B Adrian Gonzalez, SD
1B Chris Davis, TEX [3B]
2B Placido Polanco, DET
SS Troy Tulowitzki, COL
3B Chone Figgins, ANA [2B]
3B Adrian Beltre, SEA
OF Grady Sizemore, CLE
OF B.J. Upton, TB
OF Alfonso Soriano, CHC
OF Adam Dunn, ARI [1B]
OF Travis Snider, TOR
SP Chad Billingsley, LA
SP Yovani Gallardo, MIL
SP Javier Vazquez, ATL
SP Aaron Harang, CIN
SP Jair Jurrjens, ATL
SP Johnny Cueto, CIN
SP John Maine, NYM
RP Joakim Soria, KC
RP Joey Devine, OAK

R1 P7 OF Grady Sizemore, CLE
R2 P6 OF B.J. Upton, TB
R3 P7 OF Alfonso Soriano, CHC
R4 P6 1B Adrian Gonzalez, SD
R5 P7 OF Adam Dunn, ARI [1B]
R6 P6 3B Chone Figgins, ANA [2B]
R7 P7 1B Chris Davis, TEX [3B]
R8 P6 SP Chad Billingsley, LA
R9 P7 RP Joakim Soria, KC
R10 P6 SS Troy Tulowitzki, COL
R11 P7 SP Yovani Gallardo, MIL
R12 P6 C Chris Iannetta, COL
R13 P7 SP Javier Vazquez, ATL
R14 P6 SP Aaron Harang, CIN
R15 P7 SP Jair Jurrjens, ATL
R16 P6 SP Johnny Cueto, CIN
R17 P7 RP Joey Devine, OAK
R18 P6 3B Adrian Beltre, SEA
R19 P7 2B Placido Polanco, DET
R20 P6 OF Travis Snider, TOR
R21 P7 SP John Maine, NYM

Grey

Re: MDC Draft 12 Team 5X5

Postby Grey » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:51 pm

C Chris Iannetta, COL
1B Adrian Gonzalez, SD
1B Chris Davis, TEX [3B]
2B Placido Polanco, DET
SS Troy Tulowitzki, COL
3B Chone Figgins, ANA [2B]
3B Adrian Beltre, SEA
OF Grady Sizemore, CLE
OF B.J. Upton, TB
OF Alfonso Soriano, CHC
OF Adam Dunn, ARI [1B]
OF Travis Snider, TOR
SP Chad Billingsley, LA
SP Yovani Gallardo, MIL
SP Javier Vazquez, ATL
SP Aaron Harang, CIN
SP Jair Jurrjens, ATL
SP Johnny Cueto, CIN
SP John Maine, NYM
RP Joakim Soria, KC
RP Joey Devine, OAK

R1 P7 OF Grady Sizemore, CLE
R2 P6 OF B.J. Upton, TB
R3 P7 OF Alfonso Soriano, CHC
R4 P6 1B Adrian Gonzalez, SD
R5 P7 OF Adam Dunn, ARI [1B]
R6 P6 3B Chone Figgins, ANA [2B]
R7 P7 1B Chris Davis, TEX [3B]
R8 P6 SP Chad Billingsley, LA
R9 P7 RP Joakim Soria, KC
R10 P6 SS Troy Tulowitzki, COL
R11 P7 SP Yovani Gallardo, MIL
R12 P6 C Chris Iannetta, COL
R13 P7 SP Javier Vazquez, ATL
R14 P6 SP Aaron Harang, CIN
R15 P7 SP Jair Jurrjens, ATL
R16 P6 SP Johnny Cueto, CIN
R17 P7 RP Joey Devine, OAK
R18 P6 3B Adrian Beltre, SEA
R19 P7 2B Placido Polanco, DET
R20 P6 OF Travis Snider, TOR
R21 P7 SP John Maine, NYM
I like the pitching staff. Though I think you'd have some ratio trouble. I like the guys you have on offense separately, but I think together they're a middle of the pack team. And I think you'd have serious trouble with RBIs and average.
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

sean1981
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Postby sean1981 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:21 pm

Hank,

Looks like you tried some things pitching-wise in this draft that I wouldn't otherwise suggest in a real format.

First, you waited on a starter until Billingsley in the 8th round after taking Figgins in the 6th. I have to imagine there are aces available at that time that are going to get you more value than an oft-injured, aging, speedy utility guy playing 3B. I don't think waiting on pitching is necessarily a bad thing, but I think there was much more value to be had in the 6-7 rounds than your picks of Figgins and C.Davis.

Second, out of nine roster spots for P, you selected 7 starters. Maybe that'll net you 12 points in W and Ks, but as Grey alluded to earlier you're going to get slaughtered in ERA and WHIP. I don't know what your comfort zone is like, but I want at least 4 relievers, and may play 5 RPs if my starters are dominant K/BB guys getting wins.

Offensively, save for Gonzalez, I'm not sure that you have a single player who is going to break .300. If you are going to carry Dunn, Davis, Ianetta, Beltre, Sizemore, Soriano, you've gotta have another 3-4 players who are +average guys to even it out.

As Grey pointed out, this is a team of All-Stars, and it's hard not to love these names when you see them available, but I think that more consideration as to the composition of your team as you were drafting may have led to a more balanced team.

Given the deficiencies discussed above in AVG, S, ERA, and WHIP, I can't see this team contending for a crown without some serious in-season trading and waiver wire scouring, especially for cheap saves.

Hank
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Postby Hank » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:59 am

Hank,

Looks like you tried some things pitching-wise in this draft that I wouldn't otherwise suggest in a real format.

First, you waited on a starter until Billingsley in the 8th round after taking Figgins in the 6th. I have to imagine there are aces available at that time that are going to get you more value than an oft-injured, aging, speedy utility guy playing 3B. I don't think waiting on pitching is necessarily a bad thing, but I think there was much more value to be had in the 6-7 rounds than your picks of Figgins and C.Davis.

Second, out of nine roster spots for P, you selected 7 starters. Maybe that'll net you 12 points in W and Ks, but as Grey alluded to earlier you're going to get slaughtered in ERA and WHIP. I don't know what your comfort zone is like, but I want at least 4 relievers, and may play 5 RPs if my starters are dominant K/BB guys getting wins.

Offensively, save for Gonzalez, I'm not sure that you have a single player who is going to break .300. If you are going to carry Dunn, Davis, Ianetta, Beltre, Sizemore, Soriano, you've gotta have another 3-4 players who are +average guys to even it out.

As Grey pointed out, this is a team of All-Stars, and it's hard not to love these names when you see them available, but I think that more consideration as to the composition of your team as you were drafting may have led to a more balanced team.

Given the deficiencies discussed above in AVG, S, ERA, and WHIP, I can't see this team contending for a crown without some serious in-season trading and waiver wire scouring, especially for cheap saves.
Sean, thanks for the thoughts. I definitely agree about the bats in my lineup, AVG would be tough, but in 4 of 5 categories is good and if I could be somewhere middle of the pack in AVG, this group could still contend offensively.

My strategy with pitching is generally to not pick many relievers, though I do use lots of setup/Mr. B's and save vultures during the season to keep ERA and WHIP down, I never try and draft them. The good thing is I don't have to waste draft picks on them, and my strategy of taking lots of SPs is coupled with the fact that I know I won't carry them the whole season; it's a form of speculation. If just one of those guys is a Duscherer, Dempster, Saunders, etc. that's a huge boost especially for the value. Mr. B's are a dime a dozen and I'm generally pretty good at playing the waiver wire and closer carousel.
Last edited by Hank on Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

big o
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Postby big o » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:08 pm

a comparison was done between papelbon and wilson (since both had 41 saves).

the net affect on era was 0.10

Return to “Fantasy Baseball Drafts Discussion”