RAZZBALL READER 's SLOW MOCK DRAFT

Discuss your mock drafts, your real drafts, what's on draft... Anything to do with drafting is found here.
sean1981
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Re: RAZZBALL READER 's SLOW MOCK DRAFT

Postby sean1981 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:28 am

If your SP show up, I'd like your odds to do something good with this team too. It seems pretty balanced. You can find some average on the waiver wire anyway if it came down to it. I'd be down for the RCL too.
(SP) SP Roy Halladay (SP)
(SP) SP Francisco Liriano (SP)
(SP) SP Adam Wainwright (SP)
(SP) SP Max Scherzer (SP, RP)
(SP) SP Kyle Lohse (SP)
(SP, RP) SP / RP Bobby Jenks (RP)
(RP) RP Joey Devine (RP)
(RP) RP Huston Street (RP)
(Bench) DH/Util Chris Carpenter (SP)

You've got a tremendous power lineup, but I'm not so sure about this pitching staff. Starting with the starters, save for Halladay, everyone is a risk of some sort except Lohse who is a pretty vanilla back-end guy.

Liriano: we know he has the ability to look like mini Johan, but we also know that he might have lost velocity and the nasty bite to his slider and change given his injury and his new motion. Liriano is pitching winter ball in the Dominican (20 innings and increasing to no more than 75 pitches per outing) in preparation for the WBC. If and when he does pitch for the DR in the WBC, we'll get a feel for his velocity and control. 'Perts says it takes two years to rebound completely from TJ surgery. So 2009 would be the year. I think if he gets off to a slow start, you have to bench him or look elsewhere. Right now, I think he's at best a #3 with a hope that he outperforms and becomes a #2.

Wainwright: if he can stay healthy (out 6/7 to 8/22 with a finger sprain), he could be a #2-type guy. He's got solid K/BB and HR/9 rates. A guy his size (6'7) should get great velocity and tilt out of a natural throwing motion, so it may be safe to say that last year's injury was an anomaly. Besides, you have to love a pitcher who hit a HR in the first AB of his career on the first pitch he saw.

Scherzer: is he the left coast Joba? In my mind, they are both pretty similar pitchers with similar stuff. Scherzer worries me because he is a max-effort pitcher who suffered from a dead shoulder last year. He is supposedly back and working on building up that arm strength for '09 to replace the Unit/DDavis in the staff, but I think this Scherzer gets put back in the pen at the hint of a strained throwing arm. Drafting based upon upside here is strong -- I mean, how many guys in the NL throw 95+ -- but he also could only give you 75 innings this year and only get you wet for 2010.

Lohse: admittedly, I don't know much about his pitching style, but his numbers indicate that he's a solid back of my rotation guy. I just can't understand from the numbers how he got to 15-6 last season. On LAD -- a team with an essentially identical record as STL -- Kuroda's line of 183 IP 116/42, 1.22 WHIP, .287 BABIP earned him a 7-5 record. Lohse was 15-6 with 200 IP, 119/49, 1.3 WHIP, and .302 BABIP.

Carpenter: Great pick. It was the one guy that seemingly everyone forgot about -- but you. The problem is that you now own 3/5 of the Cards' rotation. That's just too much for me to stomach on a team in the NL central that will likely clock in around 85 wins.

big o
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Postby big o » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:01 pm

could one of you guys tell me how to transfer my team from couchmanager over to this forum , please ?

thanking you , in advance .

chata

Steve
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Steve » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:36 pm

Hit the edit roster link. Your team will load in a pop up window. You can select all the text in that, then copy and paste into here. You will need to reformat a bit but that should work.
This IS my f**king outlet!

Hank
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Postby Hank » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:01 pm

C Geovany Soto C-CHC
C Jeff Clement C/DH-SEA
1B Albert Pujols 1B-STL
2B Asdrubal Cabrera 2B/SS-CLE
SS Yunel Escobar SS-ATL
3B Aramis Ramirez 3B-CHC
OF Manny Ramirez OF-LAD
OF Corey Hart OF-MIL
OF Jay Bruce OF-CIN
OF Andre Ethier OF-LAD
OF David DeJesus OF-KC
CI Conor Jackson 1B-AZ
MI Orlando Cabrera SS-CHW
SP Edinson Volquez SP-CIN
SP Javier Vazquez SP-ATL
SP Jair Jurrjens SP-ATL
SP Josh Johnson SP-FLA
SP Mike Pelfrey SP-NYM
SP / RP Scot Shields RP-LAA
RP Tyler Yates RP-PIT
RP Anthony Reyes RP/SP-CLE
DH/Util Carlos Delgado 1B-NYM

Meh. That's how I feel about my team.

big o
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Postby big o » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:43 pm

(C) C Kelly Shoppach (C)
(C) C A.J. Pierzynski (C)
(1B) 1B Joey Votto (1B)
(2B) 2B Kazuo Matsui (2B)
(SS) SS Hanley Ramirez (SS)
(3B) 3B Hank Blalock (3B, 1B)
(OF) OF Jason Bay (OF)
(OF) OF Alexis Rios (OF)
(OF) OF Jacoby Ellsbury (OF)
(OF) OF Shane Victorino (OF)
(OF) OF Nelson Cruz (OF)
(1B, 3B) CI Troy Glaus (3B)
(2B, SS) MI Aaron Hill (2B)
(SP) SP John Lackey (SP)
(SP) SP Zack Greinke (SP)
(SP) SP Ricky Nolasco (SP)
(SP) SP Clayton Kershaw (SP)
(SP) SP Justin Duchscherer (SP)
(SP, RP) SP / RP Manuel Corpas (RP)
(RP) RP Matt Lindstrom (RP)
(RP) RP Frank Francisco (RP)
(Bench) DH/Util Jason Giambi (1B, DH)

going into the draft , i was determined to focus my attention on hitting categories , paying particular attention to the OF positions .... as 5 (five) OF 's created an artificial positional scarcity , imo .

my primary goal was to focus , when i could , on players that could contribute across the board , but with the particular goal of capturing the SB and Runs categories , without sacrificing Batting Average .

not wanting to sacrifice the HR and RBI categories , i later plugged in glaus and giambi , hoping they would not affect my BA too adversely .
votto , i felt , served my power numbers adequately .

i was fortunate to acquire a horse (lackey) to anchor my pitching staff and followed that up with greinke .... hoping he could continue to contribute some major innings pitched (for a 2nd straight year) .
after that , my pitching goal was to acquire youngsters with up-side who could add some K 's and (hopefully) keep my Whip down .

initally , my thoughts were to relegate the catching position to the back burner , but that plan flip-flopped (with 2nd base) .
again , with catchers , i was looking to add to my HR totals without hurting my BA .... hopefully shoppach will see 500+ AB's this year .

for 2nd base , i selected matsui to cap off the SB category , and hill , because he shouldn't hurt my BA .

RP is my weakest link , but i didn't want to sacrifice my hitting objectives ... and something just HAD to give .
at the time , i was hoping street would get traded to the brewers , allowing corpas to get the lion's share of save opportunities in colorado . still , i was mindful of putz , ray , howry and isringhausen remaining on the board .

unlike almost every SANE person in the fantasy baseball kingdom , i have ear-marked a huge come-back year for hank blalock ... along the lines of 30+ HRs and 100+ RBI .
my surreptitious move of the draft was to plug troy glaus in at the 3rd base position . this allowed me to snatch blalock many rounds later , without drawing attention to the fact that i was still looking for a 3rd baseman ..... especially considering that i am drafting the much lower ranked blalock (#285) before troy glaus , in leagues not requiring a corner infielder ..... GABAZ !!

BigFatHippo
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby BigFatHippo » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:28 pm

@pharmdriz, sean1981

Thanks for the input, I'll keep it in mind when it comes auction time. I'm pitcher heavy in my keeper league so will have to find lots of sticks. Will focus on that in upcoming mocks.

Sean, hopefully I would have 3/5 of the Cards staff all year. A full year of Wainwright and Carpenter would translate into 95+ wins for the Cards. Go Redbirds.
Yadier Fielder Utley Reyes Beltre Pena Felipe Sizemore Cruz Ludwick AdamJones
Hamels Bills Shields Wandy Weaver K-Rod Franklin Aardsma Izzy
DL-Webb

10 team Roto

Grey

Postby Grey » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:10 pm

C Geovany Soto C-CHC
C Jeff Clement C/DH-SEA
1B Albert Pujols 1B-STL
2B Asdrubal Cabrera 2B/SS-CLE
SS Yunel Escobar SS-ATL
3B Aramis Ramirez 3B-CHC
OF Manny Ramirez OF-LAD
OF Corey Hart OF-MIL
OF Jay Bruce OF-CIN
OF Andre Ethier OF-LAD
OF David DeJesus OF-KC
CI Conor Jackson 1B-AZ
MI Orlando Cabrera SS-CHW
SP Edinson Volquez SP-CIN
SP Javier Vazquez SP-ATL
SP Jair Jurrjens SP-ATL
SP Josh Johnson SP-FLA
SP Mike Pelfrey SP-NYM
SP / RP Scot Shields RP-LAA
RP Tyler Yates RP-PIT
RP Anthony Reyes RP/SP-CLE
DH/Util Carlos Delgado 1B-NYM

Meh. That's how I feel about my team.
Meh seems about right. I think if everything broke right you'd have a middle of the road team. You have too many Yunel/Ethier/DeJesus 12/12 types and 200 IP 4.00 ERA types. They're all meh-inducing.
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

Grey

Postby Grey » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:15 pm

(C) C Kelly Shoppach (C)
(C) C A.J. Pierzynski (C)
(1B) 1B Joey Votto (1B)
(2B) 2B Kazuo Matsui (2B)
(SS) SS Hanley Ramirez (SS)
(3B) 3B Hank Blalock (3B, 1B)
(OF) OF Jason Bay (OF)
(OF) OF Alexis Rios (OF)
(OF) OF Jacoby Ellsbury (OF)
(OF) OF Shane Victorino (OF)
(OF) OF Nelson Cruz (OF)
(1B, 3B) CI Troy Glaus (3B)
(2B, SS) MI Aaron Hill (2B)
(SP) SP John Lackey (SP)
(SP) SP Zack Greinke (SP)
(SP) SP Ricky Nolasco (SP)
(SP) SP Clayton Kershaw (SP)
(SP) SP Justin Duchscherer (SP)
(SP, RP) SP / RP Manuel Corpas (RP)
(RP) RP Matt Lindstrom (RP)
(RP) RP Frank Francisco (RP)
(Bench) DH/Util Jason Giambi (1B, DH)
I find your faith in Blalock almost as funny as your Gabaz chants. That aside, you do have a good team and it would be a contender barring the odd injury. You have great balance on offense and your pitching is a good combo of better than average reliable starters and high upside guys. Your closers are pretty lackluster and I doubt you would go into a real season with those schmohawks, but I guess for a mock they are fine with the caveat that you'd grab guys off of waivers. Gabaz!
Grey Albright

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

pharmdriz

Postby pharmdriz » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:14 am

Manager: pharmdriz
C Yadier Molina C-STL
C Chris Snyder C-AZ
1B Ryan Howard 1B-PHI
2B Dustin Pedroia 2B-BOS
SS Cristian Guzman SS-WSH
3B Chipper Jones 3B-ATL
OF Carlos Beltran OF-NYM
OF Magglio Ordonez OF-DET
OF J.D. Drew OF-BOS
OF Eric Byrnes OF-AZ
OF Jason Kubel OF/DH-MIN
CI Jorge Cantu 1B/3B-FLA
MI Jose Lopez 2B-SEA
SP Chad Billingsley SP-LAD
SP Scott Kazmir SP-TB
SP Joba Chamberlain SP/RP-NYY
SP John Danks SP-CHW
SP Gil Meche SP-KC
SP / RP Ubaldo Jimenez SP-COL
RP Joakim Soria RP-KC
RP Brian Fuentes RP-COL
DH/Util Marlon Byrd OF-TEX
Your outfield is pretty weak, in general. Drew actually isn't that bad, but Byrnes and Kubel could potentially kill you if you didn't fill them in before the season started. Also, I'm not a huge fan of Mags. Pedroia is probably the draft choice that killed you. What if Lopez outperforms Pedroia? How great will the Pedroia pick be then? Yadir also bores me terribly, but in a 2 catcher league that's fine.

Your pitching is too reliant on upside. You need a 200 IP Lowe or Vazquez type. But, in the end, your team's pitching should be okay. At least good enough to keep you in the hunt. Your hitting will probably be the death of this team, and you really don't have guys to trade.
Thanks, Grey. I appreciate you looking at my team and pointing out a few things I knew as well as some gems I hadn't thought about enough or at all. I can definitely see the advantages of a known commodity in Vasquez or Lowe. That just eliminates unnecessary risk, which can't be bad, right?

I certainly do plan on avoiding Scrappy Doo, so thanks for confirming my beliefs that he really doesn't give what you'd expect in the late 2nd/early 3rd. Thankfully it's only December and not March.

What are people's opinions on Danks? I'm thinking he might be able to replicate last year plus maybe just a little bit. Based on games started, I think he's getting to that point where SP start to put stuff together in the majors. I'd rather just have more NL pitchers, but he was available. Oh well.

Grey

Postby Grey » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:56 am

What are people's opinions on Danks? I'm thinking he might be able to replicate last year plus maybe just a little bit. Based on games started, I think he's getting to that point where SP start to put stuff together in the majors. I'd rather just have more NL pitchers, but he was available. Oh well.

Danks just hit a wall and got fatigued last year in the 2nd half. He's not necessarily going to be a number one fantasy ace next year, but he can be a reliable number three, with number two upside. Think of him as a top 50 pitcher.
Grey Albright

Thanks!

Return to “Fantasy Baseball Drafts Discussion”