RAZZBALL READER 's SLOW MOCK DRAFT

Discuss your mock drafts, your real drafts, what's on draft... Anything to do with drafting is found here.
Steve
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: RAZZBALL READER 's SLOW MOCK DRAFT

Postby Steve » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:40 am

Berkman had nearly 114 Runs last year, which accounted for 1.5 of his 4.87 Point Shares and RBIs were 1.2. So 2.7 came from RBIs and Runs. While RBIs and Runs are important, they're also contingent on game situations and batters around him. Berkman can easily get 90 to 100 Runs and RBIs respectively and lose a third of his value and fall to the fifth round of value. Then there's his steals. He's not stealing 18 again. Let's just say, I'm not a fan of Berkman.

I'm also not a fan of Atkins and you're relying on Berkman and Atkins for a lot. Berkman, The Uptons, Atkins and Sizemore could all hit for power, but what if two of them struggle, you're going to be in trouble. I think you're going to struggle for power and your pitching is more unpredictable than it probably needs to be. I'd probably tell you to make some trades if this were really your team.
Here's how it finally turned out. I didn't mean to draft Kuroda. Was on autopick, got scooped on a hitter etc etc.

C Victor Martinez (C)
(C) C Dioner Navarro (C)
(1B) 1B Lance Berkman (1B)
(2B) 2B Alexei Ramirez (2B, OF)
(SS) SS Miguel Tejada (SS)
(3B) 3B Garrett Atkins (3B)
(OF) OF Grady Sizemore (OF)
(OF) OF B.J. Upton (OF)
(OF) OF Bobby Abreu (OF)
(OF) OF Justin Upton (OF)
(OF) OF Elijah Dukes (OF)
(1B, 3B) CI Mike Jacobs (1B)
(2B, SS) MI Blake DeWitt (3B, 2B)
(SP) SP Josh Beckett (SP)
(SP) SP Chris Young (SP)
(SP) SP Scott Baker (SP)
(SP) SP Manny Parra (SP, RP)
(SP) SP Mark Buehrle (SP)
(SP, RP) SP / RP Hiroki Kuroda (SP)
(RP) RP Heath Bell (RP)
(RP) RP Brad Lidge (RP)
(Bench) DH/Util Jack Cust (OF, DH)
This IS my f**king outlet!

IowaCubs
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby IowaCubs » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:25 am

@Steve... I see virtually no difference between Berkman and Teixeira's overall value this season. A drop of SB's to 11 or so as Bill James suggests, would still be a net bonus of +8 on average for his position. Also, much of Berkman's value comes from Minute Maid and his consistent LD% upwards of 20%, which produces extra base hits, which means RBI if he's so lucky. His runs come from his crazy .413 lifetime OBP, plus he has Carlos Lee and Tejada hitting behind him and Pence hitting ahead of him. I would be surprised if his RBI topped 100, but his runs are there to stay at around 110-120. Find me another 1B who gets more runs than him, and I'll let you kick me in the nuts.

As far as point shares go, i'm not so sure, but I like him in the early 2nd round almost all the time. I actually believe his numbers in 09 will come super close to his 08 numbers, just with like half the steals.
14 team h2h keeper (keep 5), $101 FAAB budget. C,1B,2B,SS,3B,MI,CI,U,5SP,2RP... It's standard 5x5, but we use quality starts instead of wins. I currently have $1 left in FAAB money.

Active Batters
Castro, Jason(C) HOU
Goldschmidt, Paul(1B) ARI
Carpenter, Matt(2B) STL
Longoria, Evan(3B) TB
Zobrist, Ben(,SS) TB
Profar, Jurickson(MI) TEX
Rodriguez, Alex(CI) NYY
Davis, Rajai(OF) TOR
Jones, Adam(OF) BAL
Trout, Mike(OF) LAA
Young, Eric(OF) NYM
Bogaerts, Xander(UT) BOS

Buxton, Byron(OF) MIN
Stanton, Giancarlo(OF) MIA

Active Pitchers
Corbin, Patrick(SP) ARI
Gonzalez, Gio(SP) WAS
Latos, Mat(SP) CIN
Liriano, Francisco(SP) PIT
Minor, Mike(SP) ATL
Benoit, Joaquin(RP) DET
Mujica, Edward(RP) STL

Burnett, A.J.(SP) PIT
Samardzija, Jeff(SP) CHC

sean1981
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Postby sean1981 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:50 pm

I'm pretty sure my team is awful. Autodraft took 5 pitchers in the first 7 rounds. I was just chasing something I wasn't gonna get after that.

C Bengie Molina C-SF
C Gerald Laird C-DET
1B Adam LaRoche 1B-PIT
2B Mark DeRosa 2B/3B/OF-CHC
SS Jose Reyes SS-NYM
3B Casey Blake 3B/1B-LAD
OF Carl Crawford OF-TB
OF Brad Hawpe OF-COL
OF Jayson Werth OF-PHI
OF Mike Cameron OF-MIL
OF David Murphy OF-TEX
CI Ty Wigginton 3B/OF-HOU
MI Clint Barmes SS/2B-COL
SP Johan Santana SP-NYM
SP Jake Peavy SP-SD
SP Cliff Lee SP-CLE
SP Roy Oswalt SP-HOU
SP Carlos Zambrano SP-CHC
SP / RP Justin Masterson SP/RP-BOS
RP Jonathan Broxton RP-LAD
RP Grant Balfour RP-TB
DH/Util Ryan Garko 1B-CLE
This is one of those weird teams that you look at after a draft and think that its lineup doesn't stack up against yours, but it somehow ends up at the top of the standings.

Probably the best rotation of the bunch. Reyes/Crawford wins him steals. He can pick up a closer off the wire. I don't love his OF, but it's not a soft underbelly. He's weak on the corners, but Blake and Wigginton could give him 20 HR each. Add in a few cheap homers from Barmes and one half of an awesome season from LaRoche, and this team could be dangerous.

Trading one of those power arms for a big bat probably puts this team in the Top 3 of the draft IMO.

BigFatHippo
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby BigFatHippo » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:57 pm

I'm back from parts unknown, nice to have computer access again. Anyway, here's how my team shakes out.

(C) C Taylor Teagarden (C)
(C) C Jesus Flores (C)
(1B) 1B Prince Fielder (1B)
(2B) 2B Howie Kendrick (2B)
(SS) SS Ryan Theriot (SS, 2B)
(3B) 3B Alex Rodriguez (3B)
(OF) OF Adam Dunn (OF)
(OF) OF Nate McLouth (OF)
(OF) OF Xavier Nady (OF)
(OF) OF Hideki Matsui (OF, DH)
(OF) OF Willy Taveras (OF)
(1B, 3B) CI Chris Davis (1B, 3B)
(2B, SS) MI Jason Bartlett (SS)
(SP) SP Roy Halladay (SP)
(SP) SP Francisco Liriano (SP)
(SP) SP Adam Wainwright (SP)
(SP) SP Max Scherzer (SP, RP)
(SP) SP Kyle Lohse (SP)
(SP, RP) SP / RP Bobby Jenks (RP)
(RP) RP Joey Devine (RP)
(RP) RP Huston Street (RP)
(Bench) DH/Util Chris Carpenter (SP)

Obviously weak at the Catcher position but that was by design, just to prove my point. This mock team has 3 potential 40 HR guys in A-rod, Fielder and Dunn, with Davis on the cusp. Gonna be weak in avg but to have this much power you gotta give up something. RBI's should be no problem.

Speed will be middle of the pack with The Riot and Fast Willie providing the brunt. Fast Willie as a #5 OF'er in a 5 OF'er format is a steal (<======= obligatory play on words), IMO.

Pitching staff will be solid with a lot of upside, throw in my favorite pick, Carp on the bench at pick # 275 and you got yourself what I like to call A Powderkeg.

All in all, I'd go to battle with this team in a 14 team RCL league*.

* Signups coming soon to a neighborhood near you?
Yadier Fielder Utley Reyes Beltre Pena Felipe Sizemore Cruz Ludwick AdamJones
Hamels Bills Shields Wandy Weaver K-Rod Franklin Aardsma Izzy
DL-Webb

10 team Roto

pharmdriz

Postby pharmdriz » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:13 pm

I'm back from parts unknown, nice to have computer access again. Anyway, here's how my team shakes out.

Obviously weak at the Catcher position but that was by design, just to prove my point. This mock team has 3 potential 40 HR guys in A-rod, Fielder and Dunn, with Davis on the cusp. Gonna be weak in avg but to have this much power you gotta give up something. RBI's should be no problem.

Speed will be middle of the pack with The Riot and Fast Willie providing the brunt. Fast Willie as a #5 OF'er in a 5 OF'er format is a steal (<======= obligatory play on words), IMO.

Pitching staff will be solid with a lot of upside, throw in my favorite pick, Carp on the bench at pick # 275 and you got yourself what I like to call A Powderkeg.

All in all, I'd go to battle with this team in a 14 team RCL league*.

* Signups coming soon to a neighborhood near you?
If your SP show up, I'd like your odds to do something good with this team too. It seems pretty balanced. You can find some average on the waiver wire anyway if it came down to it. I'd be down for the RCL too.

pharmdriz

Postby pharmdriz » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:24 pm

Manager: pharmdriz
C Yadier Molina C-STL
C Chris Snyder C-AZ
1B Ryan Howard 1B-PHI
2B Dustin Pedroia 2B-BOS
SS Cristian Guzman SS-WSH
3B Chipper Jones 3B-ATL
OF Carlos Beltran OF-NYM
OF Magglio Ordonez OF-DET
OF J.D. Drew OF-BOS
OF Eric Byrnes OF-AZ
OF Jason Kubel OF/DH-MIN
CI Jorge Cantu 1B/3B-FLA
MI Jose Lopez 2B-SEA
SP Chad Billingsley SP-LAD
SP Scott Kazmir SP-TB
SP Joba Chamberlain SP/RP-NYY
SP John Danks SP-CHW
SP Gil Meche SP-KC
SP / RP Ubaldo Jimenez SP-COL
RP Joakim Soria RP-KC
RP Brian Fuentes RP-COL
DH/Util Marlon Byrd OF-TEX

Other than a cataclysmic error in picking JD Drew that basically set me back a round where all the value is really picked, I'm fairly happy with most of the picks that led to this team. I'm not going to lead SB or HR as is, but there's a lot of balance. I like my pitchers considering it's a 14 person league. Any thoughts on how I could have better looked at my team or what I'm lacking in and should be concerned about if this were a real team? Thanks.

Grey

Postby Grey » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:15 am

(C) C Mike Napoli (C)
(C) C Matt Wieters (C)
(1B) 1B Mark Teixeira (1B)
(2B) 2B Chase Utley (2B)
(SS) SS Rafael Furcal (SS)
(3B) 3B Alex Gordon (3B, 1B)
(OF) OF Matt Kemp (OF)
(OF) OF Vladimir Guerrero (OF, DH)
(OF) OF Ryan Ludwick (OF)
(OF) OF Adam Jones (OF)
(OF) OF Adam Lind (OF)
(1B, 3B) CI Mark Reynolds (3B)
(2B, SS) MI Felipe Lopez (SS, 2B)
(SP) SP James Shields (SP)
(SP) SP David Price (SP, RP)
(SP) SP Ben Sheets (SP)
(SP) SP Randy Johnson (SP)
(SP) SP Kevin Slowey (SP)
(SP, RP) SP / RP Phil Hughes (SP)
(RP) RP Jose Valverde (RP)
(RP) RP Kerry Wood (RP)
(Bench) DH/Util Chris Dickerson (OF)
I think your team's very solid and would be a contender at the end of the season. (Obviously you'd need to work on the saves in season) Your pitching staff would definitely need work but that's what free agent pickups are for. I agree that you would've been better going for a bit more stable of a commodity in Nolasco or Wainwright over Price, but as it is your team is still solid.
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

Grey

Postby Grey » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:19 am

C Joe Mauer C-MIN
C Kurt Suzuki C-OAK
1B Miguel Cabrera 1B-DET
2B Placido Polanco 2B-DET
SS Michael Young SS-TEX
3B Edwin Encarnacion 3B-CIN
OF Nick Markakis OF-BAL
OF Raul Ibanez OF-PHI
OF Pat Burrell OF-PHI
OF Denard Span OF-MIN
OF Coco Crisp OF-KC
CI Melvin Mora 3B-BAL
MI Freddy Sanchez 2B-PIT
SP Cole Hamels SP-PHI
SP Rich Harden SP-CHC
SP Daisuke Matsuzaka SP-BOS
SP Erik Bedard SP-SEA
SP Jeremy Guthrie SP-BAL
SP / RP Jamie Moyer SP-PHI
RP B.J. Ryan RP-TOR
RP Kevin Gregg RP-CHC
DH/Util Jim Thome DH-CHW
I'd be worried if I were you with this team. Your offense is pretty weak, even for a 14 team league. You have about 7 players that are negatives:

OF Pat Burrell OF-PHI
OF Denard Span OF-MIN
OF Coco Crisp OF-KC
CI Melvin Mora 3B-BAL
MI Freddy Sanchez 2B-PIT
C Kurt Suzuki C-OAK
2B Placido Polanco 2B-DET

And Young, Encarnacion and Ibanez aren't really guys you want to build around.

Luckily, your pitching is strong enough that you'd be able to move some guys to shore up your offense.
Grey Albright

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

Grey

Postby Grey » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:22 am

I'm pretty sure my team is awful. Autodraft took 5 pitchers in the first 7 rounds. I was just chasing something I wasn't gonna get after that.

C Bengie Molina C-SF
C Gerald Laird C-DET
1B Adam LaRoche 1B-PIT
2B Mark DeRosa 2B/3B/OF-CHC
SS Jose Reyes SS-NYM
3B Casey Blake 3B/1B-LAD
OF Carl Crawford OF-TB
OF Brad Hawpe OF-COL
OF Jayson Werth OF-PHI
OF Mike Cameron OF-MIL
OF David Murphy OF-TEX
CI Ty Wigginton 3B/OF-HOU
MI Clint Barmes SS/2B-COL
SP Johan Santana SP-NYM
SP Jake Peavy SP-SD
SP Cliff Lee SP-CLE
SP Roy Oswalt SP-HOU
SP Carlos Zambrano SP-CHC
SP / RP Justin Masterson SP/RP-BOS
RP Jonathan Broxton RP-LAD
RP Grant Balfour RP-TB
DH/Util Ryan Garko 1B-CLE
You ended up getting decent value later on to make up for those five of seven pitchers then, because your team isn't terrible at all. Actually, it's my third favorite behind Hippo and Iowa's respectively. And you could trade away some of your excess pitching to fill in for spots your missing. Yeah, not bad at all.
Grey Albright

Thanks!

Grey

Postby Grey » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:29 am

Manager: pharmdriz
C Yadier Molina C-STL
C Chris Snyder C-AZ
1B Ryan Howard 1B-PHI
2B Dustin Pedroia 2B-BOS
SS Cristian Guzman SS-WSH
3B Chipper Jones 3B-ATL
OF Carlos Beltran OF-NYM
OF Magglio Ordonez OF-DET
OF J.D. Drew OF-BOS
OF Eric Byrnes OF-AZ
OF Jason Kubel OF/DH-MIN
CI Jorge Cantu 1B/3B-FLA
MI Jose Lopez 2B-SEA
SP Chad Billingsley SP-LAD
SP Scott Kazmir SP-TB
SP Joba Chamberlain SP/RP-NYY
SP John Danks SP-CHW
SP Gil Meche SP-KC
SP / RP Ubaldo Jimenez SP-COL
RP Joakim Soria RP-KC
RP Brian Fuentes RP-COL
DH/Util Marlon Byrd OF-TEX
Your outfield is pretty weak, in general. Drew actually isn't that bad, but Byrnes and Kubel could potentially kill you if you didn't fill them in before the season started. Also, I'm not a huge fan of Mags. Pedroia is probably the draft choice that killed you. What if Lopez outperforms Pedroia? How great will the Pedroia pick be then? Yadir also bores me terribly, but in a 2 catcher league that's fine.

Your pitching is too reliant on upside. You need a 200 IP Lowe or Vazquez type. But, in the end, your team's pitching should be okay. At least good enough to keep you in the hunt. Your hitting will probably be the death of this team, and you really don't have guys to trade.
Grey Albright

Thanks!

Return to “Fantasy Baseball Drafts Discussion”