LOGIN

Right now betting on Jimmy Rollins to turn it around seems like a Horn Bet.  Unless Ben Zobrist is rolling the dice.  Rollins is too old, he’s too tired and he’s too… Wait, he’s not blind.  Though his average might make you think he could use some of Ortiz’s eyedrops.  His line on the year is 40/6/27/.225/10.  I just popped a zit onto a mirror and it spelled out, “Blech.”  Rollins’s K rate, ground balls and fly balls are about where they should be.  But, and it’s a J. Lo-sized but, his BABIP is sitting at .227.  That’s way below his career rate.  He’s been caught stealing five times which is a bit disconcerting, but he had 47 steals last year.  You telling me he lost that much of a step at 30-years-old?  Grey doesn’t think so, friend.  His average will pick itself up, his steals will come around and he has 15 homer power.  I don’t buy that he’s suddenly done, which is to say I do Buy him.  Anyway, here’s some more players to Buy or Sell this week in Fantasy Baseball:

BUY

B.J. Frasordo – Grey unplugged, “This is for Cito Gaston.  Frasordo, why don’t you come to your senses?  You don’t let guys hit for the fences…”  Frasor, Ryan then Accardo is the way I’d grab them.  I would not own more than one, unless you’re really hurting for saves.  Get off the bullpen benches, open the gate…  You better let somebody close for you, before it’s too late…

Nate Schierholtz – For full disclosure, I secretly want him to fail so I don’t have to keep spelling his last name.  He’s worth grabbing in NL-Only leagues for some potential, but power doesn’t translate well to San Fran, except for the guys on ‘roids.

John Mayberry – While Raul Ibanez is out, Mayberry will get the majority of the starts.  He’s an all or nothing guy with some holes in his swing.  If you need some pop, give Mayberry a week and soon you’ll be whistling and fishing with Andy Taylor for a new outfielder.

Kyle Blanks – Now Chubb, stick em.  Kyle Blanks, was called up today and commenter, Corey, already gave him the nickname, The Pillsbury Fro Boy.  Ever wonder what Prince Fielder would look like playing outfield?  Check out the Padres.

David Murphy – He’s pretty much useless against lefties, but if you have the luxury of starting him only against righties, he has some decent value in deep leagues.  He’s not going to win you any leagues, but he could fill-in for a hurt outfielder.

Carlos Gomez – SAGNOF!

Casey McGehee – If the Brewers are batting him leadoff, he’s worth a flier in leagues 12 team or deeper to see how long he can stay hot.  Though his minor league numbers are pretty yawnstipating.

Brett Cecil – Worth grabbing just for his Saturday start vs. the Nats.  After that, we’ll need to see if and when he’ll start again.

Matt Downs – The Aints shipped Burriss off to the minors and gave the 2nd base job to Matt Downs.  Shame on you, Matt Downs, for having two T’s in your first name.  Don’t you know one T is all the rage?  This isn’t a Buy as much as a “Wait and See.”  Maybe Downs gets hot for a week or so, but he’s probably in over his head like Michael J. Fox in The Secret of My Success.  If Downs gets/has 2nd base eligibility in your NL-Only league, you can take a look, but I’d expect him to go back to the mailroom rather than sleep with Sabean’s wife and successfully run the Giants front office.

SELL

Brad Hawpe – His homers are down so far.  There’s a good chance he gets traded.  And if anyone thinks he’s going to hit .340 on the year, I have a can’t miss way to make millions from the comfort of your sofa for $19.95.  It will literally change your life!  Now don’t sell Hawpe for a used Hypercolor t-shirt, but I’d explore potential trades.

Nick Blackburn – Mr. Blackburn has a 6-2 record, a 3.09 ERA and a popular list of celebrity fashion don’ts, so why doesn’t anyone own him?  Cause he makes Aaron Cook seem like a strikeout pitcher.  He’s now under a 4 K/9.  That’s pretty terrible.  If you own him, you’re playing with fire, matchstick man.  So when I say Sell here, I’m more saying hold and proceed with caution.

Andrew McCutchen – Your window to trade The Dread Pirate could close at any time.  Ask someone who fielded offers on Bonifacio in the first week of the season.  Though ignore advice to sell him in keeper leagues.

Magglio Ordonez – When an old school manager tells an old player that they’re going to sit, the good ship lollipop is done sucked dry.

Nick Johnson – Averaging 2 homers a month.  Unfortunately, the season is not 20 months long.

Adam Kennedy – His June has been one big grassy knoll.

Jeff Francoeur – After last year’s travesty, you gave him another go and he gave you 28/4/30/.251/4 through two and a half months.  Might be time to say this is as good as it baguettes with Frenchy.