Denard Span or Clay Buchholz?

Who to start, who to bench. Grab that WW guy? Low priced rookie or high priced stud?
Deltron
Sponsor
Sponsor

Denard Span or Clay Buchholz?

Postby Deltron » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:23 pm

I'm in a 12 team, H2H, points based league w/ -1 for Ks (batters) and BBs (pitchers). We have a cap of 3 keepers. I'm planning to keep Cliff Lee as a 13th rounder (drafted him in the 23rd rd two yrs ago) and Gordon Beckham as a 15 rounder, forfeiting my pick in those rounds. I just traded Carpenter who can be kept as a 7th rounder for Clay Buchholz who can be kept as a 16th rder. I don't think Carpenter gets drafted much higher than the 7th rd, so I didn't see great value in keeping him. I also have Denard Span, who can be kept as a 16th rounder.

1. As it stands, do I keep Span or Buchholz as a 16th rounder? If Span is the answer at the moment, how well does Buchholz have to pitch this spring for me to keep him over Span? What are your thoughts as to whether Buchholz realizes his potential this season?

2. The owner of Carlos Quentin is very interested in trading him for Buchholz because he has 3 really good OF keepers (Quentin, Victorino, Ethier) and wants to diversify. Quentin can be kept as an 11th rounder. Do I make this trade and keep Quentin? Seems like a high risk/reward decision, especially taking Span into account.

Thanks.
12-teamer, H2H, points, 4 keepers.
Hitters: +1 single, +2 dbl, +3 trpl, +4 HR, +1 RBI, +1 run, +1 BB/HBP, -1 K, +2 SB, -1 CS
Pitchers: +1.5 IP, +1 K, -1 BB/HBP, +5 W, -3 L, +4 S, -2 BS, +3 CG, +10 shutout
Start one player at each position + utility, 4 SPs, 2 RPs. 8 reserves.

Grey

Re: Denard Span or Clay Buchholz?

Postby Grey » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:52 pm

I'm in a 12 team, H2H, points based league w/ -1 for Ks (batters) and BBs (pitchers). We have a cap of 3 keepers. I'm planning to keep Cliff Lee as a 13th rounder (drafted him in the 23rd rd two yrs ago) and Gordon Beckham as a 15 rounder, forfeiting my pick in those rounds. I just traded Carpenter who can be kept as a 7th rounder for Clay Buchholz who can be kept as a 16th rder. I don't think Carpenter gets drafted much higher than the 7th rd, so I didn't see great value in keeping him. I also have Denard Span, who can be kept as a 16th rounder.

1. As it stands, do I keep Span or Buchholz as a 16th rounder? If Span is the answer at the moment, how well does Buchholz have to pitch this spring for me to keep him over Span? What are your thoughts as to whether Buchholz realizes his potential this season?

2. The owner of Carlos Quentin is very interested in trading him for Buchholz because he has 3 really good OF keepers (Quentin, Victorino, Ethier) and wants to diversify. Quentin can be kept as an 11th rounder. Do I make this trade and keep Quentin? Seems like a high risk/reward decision, especially taking Span into account.

Thanks.
Span -- Spring doesn't matter.

2. Quentin's okay there. He can probably be redrafted back for that and you're just making the other guy's team better. So I wouldn't do it.
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

Deltron
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Deltron » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:00 pm

Span -- Spring doesn't matter.

2. Quentin's okay there. He can probably be redrafted back for that and you're just making the other guy's team better. So I wouldn't do it.
First off, thanks for the response. I really enjoy reading your posts for their insight as well as laughs, I'm a regular visitor to the blog. At the moment, I have Quentin ranked as the 13th best OF and 53rd player overall. Am I valuing him too high? He was the 7th best OF in my league in 2008 w/ 487 points. It seems like getting him in the 11th would be a steal if 2008 is any indication. On the other hand, I have Span ranked as the 23rd best OF. Am I undervaluing him? He was the 18th best OF in my league in 2009 w/ 432 points. He is a great value in the 16th, but I question whether he has the upside of Quentin. Also, any thoughts on Quentin's health? It doesn't seem like he holds up well. That alone may be reason enough to keep Span instead.
12-teamer, H2H, points, 4 keepers.
Hitters: +1 single, +2 dbl, +3 trpl, +4 HR, +1 RBI, +1 run, +1 BB/HBP, -1 K, +2 SB, -1 CS
Pitchers: +1.5 IP, +1 K, -1 BB/HBP, +5 W, -3 L, +4 S, -2 BS, +3 CG, +10 shutout
Start one player at each position + utility, 4 SPs, 2 RPs. 8 reserves.

Grey

Postby Grey » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:17 am

Haven't heard anything on Quentin's health, but no news might be good news in this case. Span's safe, and as I said on the blog his upside and downside are very close to each other. He's not going to be a top 10 outfielder; Quentin could be. But there's more risk with Quentin.
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

Return to “Baseball - Lineups, Waivers, Keepers”