Waaaay too early keeper thoughts

Who to start, who to bench. Grab that WW guy? Low priced rookie or high priced stud?
EthanRoto

Waaaay too early keeper thoughts

Postby EthanRoto » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:23 am

Crazy season, but glad it happened to inject a touch of normalcy (not bleach... or sunshine... or hydroxychloroquine, lol) into the system...

I had the good fortune to finish first in both of my money leagues, though whether that was due to the craziness of a 60 game season, folks being less invested/engaged, more luck than usual, etc., I'll take it. Flags Fly Forever and all that.

Both leagues are keeper leagues, and both leagues allow you to keep 6 or 7 players at either the same price for one season, or at +$5 per year if kept for 2 or 3 years (starting in year one - so a $1 guy stays there for one year keeper; or $6, $11, $16 for three year keeper) and penalties if you drop early. Both are Auction drafts.

Curious about your philosophy about keeping higher priced established players for one year at perhaps a slight discount, versus going with mid-tier value talent and leaving flexibility to get after the top 20 type players who might see unexpected price drops (rather than locking in on specific players). There are also bounce-back guys like Yelich and Bellinger who might come at a discount if folks are gunshy.

League 1 - Could keep one or more of Trea Turner ($38), Jose Ramirez ($35), and the easiest call, Manny Machado ($24). The highest priced player this year was Trout ($46). This is a batting average league, so all those guys had real value there. Or do you double down on values like Dansby Swanson, Jesus Aguilar, Mark Canha, Raimel Tapia, Garrett Cooper, Sean Murphy, Tony Gonsolin, Nate Eovaldi, Greg Holland, Dane Dunning, Deivi Garcia, and the like, all who can be had for $1 (a couple for $4 or $5).

League 2 - In this OBP league, it's folks like Mookie Betts ($43) and Trea Turner ($36), with lower cost guys like Wil Myers, Andrew McCutchen, Austin Hays, Dansby Swanson, DJ Stewart, Jake Cronenworth, Andres Jimenez, Shogo Akiyama, Max Stassi, Dom Smith, Willie Calhoun, Rich Hill, Trevor Rosenthal, Sixto Sanchez, Rafael Dolis, and Jordan Romano all offering single digit values, most of them $1-$3.

There's a lot of time and (hopefully) a full Spring Training to see where all of these guys land with roles, health, offseason improvements, etc., but it struck me as a unique offseason (what isn't unique this year?) to consider what "value" means in a keeper league, and how best to maximize it. Thanks for your thoughts, as always, and a great season of wide-ranging advice and humor and fun!

Grey

Re: Waaaay too early keeper thoughts

Postby Grey » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:36 am

Crazy season, but glad it happened to inject a touch of normalcy (not bleach... or sunshine... or hydroxychloroquine, lol) into the system...

I had the good fortune to finish first in both of my money leagues, though whether that was due to the craziness of a 60 game season, folks being less invested/engaged, more luck than usual, etc., I'll take it. Flags Fly Forever and all that.

Both leagues are keeper leagues, and both leagues allow you to keep 6 or 7 players at either the same price for one season, or at +$5 per year if kept for 2 or 3 years (starting in year one - so a $1 guy stays there for one year keeper; or $6, $11, $16 for three year keeper) and penalties if you drop early. Both are Auction drafts.

Curious about your philosophy about keeping higher priced established players for one year at perhaps a slight discount, versus going with mid-tier value talent and leaving flexibility to get after the top 20 type players who might see unexpected price drops (rather than locking in on specific players). There are also bounce-back guys like Yelich and Bellinger who might come at a discount if folks are gunshy.

League 1 - Could keep one or more of Trea Turner ($38), Jose Ramirez ($35), and the easiest call, Manny Machado ($24). The highest priced player this year was Trout ($46). This is a batting average league, so all those guys had real value there. Or do you double down on values like Dansby Swanson, Jesus Aguilar, Mark Canha, Raimel Tapia, Garrett Cooper, Sean Murphy, Tony Gonsolin, Nate Eovaldi, Greg Holland, Dane Dunning, Deivi Garcia, and the like, all who can be had for $1 (a couple for $4 or $5).

League 2 - In this OBP league, it's folks like Mookie Betts ($43) and Trea Turner ($36), with lower cost guys like Wil Myers, Andrew McCutchen, Austin Hays, Dansby Swanson, DJ Stewart, Jake Cronenworth, Andres Jimenez, Shogo Akiyama, Max Stassi, Dom Smith, Willie Calhoun, Rich Hill, Trevor Rosenthal, Sixto Sanchez, Rafael Dolis, and Jordan Romano all offering single digit values, most of them $1-$3.

There's a lot of time and (hopefully) a full Spring Training to see where all of these guys land with roles, health, offseason improvements, etc., but it struck me as a unique offseason (what isn't unique this year?) to consider what "value" means in a keeper league, and how best to maximize it. Thanks for your thoughts, as always, and a great season of wide-ranging advice and humor and fun!
Congrats on the wins!

I'd almost always lean towards high priced players who are already established, especially in shallower leagues, but every league is going to be different depending on who the actual players are...

1. Trea, Jo-Ram, Machado are all easy calls -- I'd also keep Dansby (2 years), Murphy, Deivi and maybe Dunning

2. Again, Betts and Trea are easy calls -- So is Wil Myers, Dansby, Sixto, Calhoun, Cronenworth, Smith, to varying degrees
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

EthanRoto

Postby EthanRoto » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:49 pm

Thanks for the recommendations! Razzball is def a big part of it - appreciate all the great content and humor along the way - you've built a great roster of writers! Fun to have some quality keepers and have some bragging rights (even in an asterisk season)...

Grey

Postby Grey » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:32 am

Thanks!
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

Return to “Baseball - Lineups, Waivers, Keepers”