Keeper quandary

Who to start, who to bench. Grab that WW guy? Low priced rookie or high priced stud?
Cubes10

Keeper quandary

Postby Cubes10 » Tue May 22, 2012 2:24 pm

I'm in a 12 team H2H points league where elite SP dominate, and I'm having trouble deciding my next move for this year and for the future. We can keep up to 5 players (no limitations on how long) where we lose our first 5 rounds, so we keep the studs as the core to our team.

I currently have (keeper worthy):
Miggy
Castro
Longoria
Hosmer
Moore
Bumgarner

Since Miggy will likely lose his 1B eligibility after this year, I don't think it makes sense to roster two 3B, so I want to move one of them for Kershaw. I think Miggy is the better bat currently but is also almost 4 years older and Longoria is just now coming into his prime but seems to be injury prone.

So my question is: Do I flip Miggy or Longo for Kershaw, or just hold? Likely wouldn't be doing a straight up trade but these are the centerpieces obviously.

Thanks for any input!

InternetGuy

Re: Keeper quandary

Postby InternetGuy » Tue May 22, 2012 2:50 pm

I currently have (keeper worthy):
Miggy
Castro
Longoria
Hosmer
Moore
Bumgarner

I don't think you can even put Matt Moore in this list until he shows something this year. Given how easy it is to find good pitching on a yearly basis (yes, I realize you said dominant SPs are key) I don't think Moore is keepable in the top 5 rounds for the foreseeable future...you'd be passing up on too many other good players.

If you can get Kershaw for Miggy straight up, I might make that move and then keep:

kershaw
bumgarner
longoria
castro

Lot of season left, but theres got to be some Hosmer worry here. Got to get the job done for more than a few months to be a top 5 round pick, in my opinion.

Good luck whatever you decide

havok

Postby havok » Tue May 22, 2012 3:31 pm

Trade Longo for Kershaw.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always
so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

"The worst thing that can happen to a gambler is to win."

"When you bet on a dog only three things can happen; two of them are good."

Follow all my tweeting nonsense @TheRealestDan

BluePulaski

Postby BluePulaski » Tue May 22, 2012 5:42 pm

I think what also comes into play is whether you can and want to compete this year and over the next few years...you have some young guns that could end up being the best at their position for many years...

...Miggy is the best now and will be for a couple of years...Hosmer has the potential to dominate later...in 4-7 years...Castro has the potential to become a top-10 player and to overtake Tulo down the road but Tulo is still young...Longoria is probably the best 3B now and will be for quite a few more years given his age.

Bumgarner is a great pitcher but with 5 keepers and if I could be competitive this year after making a big deal I would consider getting Kershaw.

As your trade deadline approaches and if you don't feel you can win it this year...I would wait on Moore and Bumgarner...and consider a few deals to get you set up for next year...

...premium pitching is just that...premium and hard to come buy...but pitchers only play for you every 5th game...and are more susceptible, prone to career-threatening injuries...with 5 keepers I would be very content having Miggy, Hosmer, Castro, Longoria, Kershaw as my 5 heading into next year...the thing with only 5 keepers you can't really work on a dynasty...

the younger the player the bigger the risk...try to find the best players in the hardest positions to come buy...consistent players that produce in categories across the board, day-in and day-out. ...Ryan Braun comes to mind as an OF (deep position)...Trout comes to mind long-term, though Harper might have slightly more risk but possibly a bigger reward...

...good luck
10-team mixed keeper league (15 keepers), H2H - 1 Win R/HR/RBI/SB/AVG/OPS/W/CG/SHO/SV/K/ERA/WHIP/QS
HITTERS:
Lineup (C/1B/2B/SS/3B/LF/CF/RF/UTIL/UTIL/UTIL/UTIL)
C - empty (will pick up a hot catcher when ready)
1B - E. Hosmer
2B - J. Kipnis
SS - T. Tulowitzki
3B - A. Beltre
OF - M. Trout, A. McCutchen, J. Upton
UTIL - G. Stanton, A. Rizzo, B. Harper, empty slot

PITCHERS: SP - S. Strasburg, A. Wainwright, G. Gonzalez, H. Iwakuma, S. Miller, K. Medlen, H. Ryu, M. Garza, A. Cobb, H. Bailey, R. Porcello, M. Estrada, W. Peralta, S. Gray, E. Ramirez
RP - A. Chapman, A. Reed, J. Benoit
N/A slot: M. Pineda. DL - C. Maybin, M. Moore

Cubes10

Postby Cubes10 » Wed May 23, 2012 11:22 am

Welp, a league mate swooped in and got Kershaw for Fielder and Jerrod Parker. Came back to me trying to get Miggy and Scherzer...not happening.

I guess I'm just stuck with Miggy, Longo, Castro and Bum...sigh (joking). Still sucks though.

Return to “Baseball - Lineups, Waivers, Keepers”