Draft Strategy - Zig when others Zag

Who to start, who to bench. Grab that WW guy? Low priced rookie or high priced stud?
bravo0919

Draft Strategy - Zig when others Zag

Postby bravo0919 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:00 am

My league: h2h - Boring Scoring. 14 team. No CI/MI/Util - 1 DH / 3 OF
My keepers - Jose Bautista / Castro / CJ Wilson (keep 3 yrs must be drafted after rd 7)
Keeper League info: Maybe 7 of the top 60 are off the board. Cargo is the 2nd best

My draft spot: 8th

Round 1 - I am taking Fielder / Votto / AGonzalez - someone @ 1st base.
Round 2 - Is this where I zig and take a guy like Clayton Kershaw.

Everything I read on here says avoid pitching b/c you miss out on the a big bats. Well I have a Top 5 bat already.

Other round 2 options - Kinsler and injury risks? Go all in on Mike Stanton? I like to go conservative early - not sure if Stanton is that guy. We play 3 OF so I could take McCutch - if he goes 20/20 I was better off waiting to take Pence rd 3 and grabbing Kershaw rd2.

Would you take the stud arm round two?

Oregon Nut Cups

Re: Draft Strategy - Zig when others Zag

Postby Oregon Nut Cups » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:46 am

Mike Stanton hit 34 HRs last year at age 22. Even if he repeats last year, you're still getting something useful out of him. So if you want to be conservative, take someone who has a .264 career ISO and is young enough to improve on what was already a great 2011 season.

How many of the top 20 pitchers from razzball are going to be available in the draft? I'm going to guess there will be a decent enough amount that you can get 30 more HRs added to your team and still have a strong staff.

http://razzball.com/top-20-starters-for ... -baseball/
ONC
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.

bravo0919

Postby bravo0919 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:36 am

The Following Guys are off the board:

# 10 MadBum
#16 on RB CJ Wilson (my Team)
# 17 Gio Gonzalez
#19 Mat Latos

Paper Tiger

Postby Paper Tiger » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:59 am

I would continue to grab power and wait. There's nothing wrong with taking Kershaw in the second round, but his value over a sixth round starter is going to be less than Stanton's value over a sixth round OF. More importantly, Kinsler's value over a sixth round 2B could be tremendous (He has never had a recurring injury, He's just been unlucky when he tries to tear up the basepaths).

However, fortune favors the bold. If you feel you have the ability to identify sleeper value later in the draft then by all means do what feels right. I had a mock draft a few days ago were I took elite pitching in round 2,3,and 5 and still had a very solid offense. It just happened to fall that way.

Bourne

Postby Bourne » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:44 am

Id take a infielder at pick 2 and an OF at 3
RCL Cracking the Whip: (5x5 ESPN roto)
C: Weiters
1B,3B,CI: Encarnacion, Wright, Alanso
2B,SS,MI: Getz, Kozma, Uggla
5xOF: Kemp, Holliday, Hunter, Soriano, Crisp
1xUtil: Markakis
Bn: Hill, Aybar
DL: Hart
SP: MadBum, Zimmermann, Morrow, Annibal Sanchez, Lynn, Anderson
RP: League, Parnell, Benoit, Hernandez

12 team F&F: (6x6 Yahoo! H2H with OPS and Losses)
C: Cervelli
1B,3B,CI: Gold, Zimmerman, Frazier
2B,SS,MI: Phillips, Ruthledge, Bonifacio
4xOF: Braun, Hamilton, Cruz, Hunter
2xUtil: Chris Davis, Span
SP: Latos, Moore, Zimmermann, Niese, Milone, Griffin, Miller, Cingrani, ~Streamer~
RP: Holland, Janssen, Perkins, Bailey, Valverde
2xNA: Straily, Grandal

Return to “Baseball - Lineups, Waivers, Keepers”