Trying to get better and deciding Keepers

Who to start, who to bench. Grab that WW guy? Low priced rookie or high priced stud?
Strings

Trying to get better and deciding Keepers

Postby Strings » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:57 pm

1st time poster. Love the site.

So the league I'm in allows 3 keepers in the round they were drafted in with inflation for multiple times kept. League is a 12 team 6x6 (OPS/Holds) I've 5 that I'm trying to decide between.

1) Kemp - Rd 3
2) McCutchen - Rd 4
3) Stanton - Rd 9
4) C. Santana - Rd 10
5) Lawrie - Rd 15

Kemp is an easy decision and is definite. I'm leaning towards Stanton just based on ADP vs where I'd get him. The third spot I'm thinking Lawrie just based on the shallowness at third.

Any advice or snarky comments are welcome. Thanks.
12 team Yahoo! 6X6 (OPS and Holds) Private League. 3 keepers with inflation

C - Alex Avila
1B - Adam Lind
2B - Howie Kendrick
3B - Brett Lawrie (Kept Rd 15)
SS - Erick Aybar
OF - Matt Kemp (Kept Rd 3)
OF - Giancarlo Stanton (Kept Rd 9)
OF - Andrew McCutchen
UTIL - Mike Moustakas
Bench - Bryce Harper

SP - Madison Bumgarner, CJ Wilson, Gio Gonzalez, Jonathan Sanchez, Johnny Cueto, Jhoulys Chacin
SP - Edison Volquez, Jon Niese, Trevor Cahill
RP - Huston Street, Drew Storen, Vinnie Pestano, Jose Veras, Fautino De Los Santos

Beardawg
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: Trying to get better and deciding Keepers

Postby Beardawg » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:28 pm

with only 3 keepers, Lawrie is too much a risk for me. My guiding principle if I were you in this exercise would be to keep the best players that have some value beyond their ADP. Not the best players, or the best value, or the best combination of player and value.

If you keep Kemp, McCutchen, and Stanton, you will be tough to compete with in a 12 team league. For me, Stanton and Santana are almost a toss-up, but Stanton in safer.
the pandemic killed my 17 year keeper league, now a 6 team redraft this year, and it's actually kind of wild. Any long-time commenters interested to restart a keeper league in 2022 hit me up.

Bourne

Postby Bourne » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:55 am

I would keep Kemp, Stanton, and Lawrie. The only reason not to keep McCutchen is he is Kemp lite, and you already have 2 OF. Do you really want your three keepers to be OF with your IF completely open? I wouldn't. I would almost consider McCutchen over Kemp since he is a round later and you would get to keep your third, but then again McCutchen is a round later than Kemp anyway, and Kemp puts up a better average.
RCL Cracking the Whip: (5x5 ESPN roto)
C: Weiters
1B,3B,CI: Encarnacion, Wright, Alanso
2B,SS,MI: Getz, Kozma, Uggla
5xOF: Kemp, Holliday, Hunter, Soriano, Crisp
1xUtil: Markakis
Bn: Hill, Aybar
DL: Hart
SP: MadBum, Zimmermann, Morrow, Annibal Sanchez, Lynn, Anderson
RP: League, Parnell, Benoit, Hernandez

12 team F&F: (6x6 Yahoo! H2H with OPS and Losses)
C: Cervelli
1B,3B,CI: Gold, Zimmerman, Frazier
2B,SS,MI: Phillips, Ruthledge, Bonifacio
4xOF: Braun, Hamilton, Cruz, Hunter
2xUtil: Chris Davis, Span
SP: Latos, Moore, Zimmermann, Niese, Milone, Griffin, Miller, Cingrani, ~Streamer~
RP: Holland, Janssen, Perkins, Bailey, Valverde
2xNA: Straily, Grandal

HowieWan

Postby HowieWan » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:06 pm

I'd keep Kemp and Stanton for sure. If you feel like Santana is going to be significantly better than the other C options this year (I think he is) then you keep him. If you want to be safe, keep MuCutch. If you plan to punt C until later in the draft (common Razz strategy) and don't want to keep 3 OF, keep Lawrie. If you start 5 OF, I'd keep all three OF and draft your corner bats in rounds 1-2. If you play just 3 OF, I'd roll the dice on Santana or Lawrie.
12 team H2H manager

Strings

Postby Strings » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:04 pm

It's a 9 bat offense. 9th spot can be any position.

C - Alex Avila
1B - Adam Lind
2B - Howie Kendrick
SS - Erick Aybar
OF - Andrew McCutchen
UTIL - Mike Moustakas
Bench - Bryce Harper

SP - Madison Bumgarner, CJ Wilson, Gio Gonzalez, Jonathan Sanchez, Johnny Cueto, Jhoulys Chacin
RP - Huston Street, Drew Storen, Vinnie Pestano, Jose Veras, Fautino De Los Santos

HowieWan

Postby HowieWan » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:36 pm

If it were me, I'd keep Stanton, Kemp, Lawrie
12 team H2H manager

Deltron
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Deltron » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:18 pm

I would keep Santana in the 10th. He's the best player at his position and will be by a good margin this year...and the margin is what matters. Plus, you have long-term keeper implications.

I would also keep Stanton in the 9th with the expectation that his power numbers will continue to increase. The Marlins offense will be interesting with a healthy Hanley Ram, healthy Logan Morrison and the addition of Jose Reyes. He should produce. Plus, long-term implications.

For your third keeper, I'd go with Kemp in the 3rd even though I don't think he will replicate his 2011 season. Kemp in the 3rd >>> McCutchen in the 4th.

Third base isn't as shallow as it may seem: Longoria, Zimmerman, H. Ramirez, Beltre, D. Wright, A. Rodriguez, M. Young, Aramis Ramirez, Sandoval and Youkilis could all put up more production than Lawrie this season. It just depends on their health. You could draft someone like Moustakas, Chisenhall or Freese later on for injury insurance.
12-teamer, H2H, points, 4 keepers.
Hitters: +1 single, +2 dbl, +3 trpl, +4 HR, +1 RBI, +1 run, +1 BB/HBP, -1 K, +2 SB, -1 CS
Pitchers: +1.5 IP, +1 K, -1 BB/HBP, +5 W, -3 L, +4 S, -2 BS, +3 CG, +10 shutout
Start one player at each position + utility, 4 SPs, 2 RPs. 8 reserves.

shinister

Postby shinister » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:38 pm

Kemp, Stanton and either Lawrie or Santana... Lawrie is so cheap but Santana an excellent value. I guess I would lean toward Lawrie (since I am keeping him) and I like to punt catchers...
C: McKenry
1B/2B/3B/SS/IF: Votto, Kipnis, Lawrie, Reyes and Teixeira
OF: Braun, Harper, Cain and Carlos Gomez
Util: Rizzo
Bench: Kendrick, Olt, Hunter

SP: Bumgarner, Gallardo, Niese, Gio Gonzalez, Anibel Sanchez, Parker and Capuano
RP: Casilla, Jansen, and Wilhelsen

13 Team 6x6 Keeper (R, HR, RBI, S, AVE, OPS; ERA, WHIP, W, S, K, QS) Roto Auction Draft ($260). 1782 games, 1600 innings.
(1B, 3B, SS, 2B, IF, 4 OF, Util, 5SP, 3RP and 2P)

Paper Tiger

Postby Paper Tiger » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:17 am

Kemp, Stanton, Lawrie

Third base is deeper than normal this season, but it is also very top heavy. Outside of the first few rounds you're still taking chances on players like ARam or Youk. Lawrie has as much potential for breakout as any, and at 15 he could be kept for a good while at a good value.

Strings

Postby Strings » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:17 am

Thanks everyone. I've decided on Kemp, Stanton, and Lawrie. If I don't take Santana then Stanton rounds down to 10. So I'm pretty set this year for keepers and possibly even next year with these three (at 1, 5, and 10) barring injuries. You guys are great.

C - Alex Avila
1B - Adam Lind
2B - Howie Kendrick
SS - Erick Aybar
OF - Andrew McCutchen
UTIL - Mike Moustakas
Bench - Bryce Harper

Return to “Baseball - Lineups, Waivers, Keepers”