Keepers

Who to start, who to bench. Grab that WW guy? Low priced rookie or high priced stud?
Cain Fan

Keepers

Postby Cain Fan » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:32 am

Hey Grey and others,

I am in a shallow 10 team, 8 keeper league (3 OF, 1 UT) with R, HR, RBI, OBP, K, SB for offense and ERA, WHIP, K, H/9, SV, W for pitching. I have a fairly deep team and need help on my last two keepers. I agreed with you analysis of the disappearing HRs last yr and made deals to up my power. My team has 6 locks - Teix, Phillips, Kemp, Dunn, Felix, Lester - and 4 others I am considering - McCann, Jeter, Pence, Cain. With SS being so shallow I am starting to consider Jeter even though he burned me last yr. Thoughts?

Paper Tiger

Re: Keepers

Postby Paper Tiger » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:29 am

I'm assuming this is a standard setup for pitching. With 80 keepers off the board I think it's safe to say Jeter will be the best available SS by far if you let him go. Three OF spots negates the need to keep Pence. You have two solid front of the rotation pitchers already.

It depends on you. Jeter is a no brainer even though he's not the ideal keeper. Cain or McCann should be based off what you think your team's greatest need is.

I'd be inclined to go Jeter and Cain if your league only plays one catcher. If it's a two catcher league I'd keep McCann.

Cain Fan

Postby Cain Fan » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:01 am

Awesome thanks! I was actually deciding between Jeter and Cain. I am a sucker for position scarcity and like McCann b.c of his ABs, power and OBP. I also expect 4 Cs to be kept besides McCann. I have had a knack for grabbing SP so I am considering taking the gamble again. Other thoughts?

Kept C - Mauer, VMart, Posey, Santana
Available SP - Hamels, Wandy, Billingsley, Scherzer, Liriano, Garza

Calogero

Postby Calogero » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:07 am

I'm surprised you can make an argument at Jeter will be the best SS available and then NOT advocate taking McCann with the other slot. McCann's ADP is actually higher than Jeter's and C is definitely as shallow or shallower than SS. Mauer, V-Mart and Posey will definitely be gone. Gotta keep McCann or you'll be trotting out Ryan Doumit all year.

Paper Tiger

Postby Paper Tiger » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:23 am

I'm surprised you can make an argument at Jeter will be the best SS available and then NOT advocate taking McCann with the other slot. McCann's ADP is actually higher than Jeter's and C is definitely as shallow or shallower than SS. Mauer, V-Mart and Posey will definitely be gone. Gotta keep McCann or you'll be trotting out Ryan Doumit all year.
It's effectively a coin flip in my opinion. Catcher is shallow but I feel he can probably draft a Soto, Napoli or Posada later and retain a majority of McCann's value. Pitcher is more of a toss up and with the existing power sources on his team I simply think it's a better fit. Believe me, you'll never find a manager who discounts starters more than I do. In this case I think Lester, Felix and Cain allow him to focus the remainder of his draft on viable offensive options.

I also assume that most teams will keep any viable SS option. History shows that's simply not true with catcher. He knows his league better than I do which is why I offered the option.

Cain Fan

Postby Cain Fan » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:36 am

I agree with what you are all saying. It's a tough call, for what it's worth Grey chose McCann and Pence. But I think we can all agree Pence (while a stud) is the easiest to replace in stats. I have always had issues with McCann, I have kept him twice and dropped him twice. I don't love keeping a C but the drop-off from McCann to Posada, Soto, Napoli, Montero isn't TOO bad. Being that it is a 10 person league presumably the Cs off the board will be Mauer, Vmart, McCann, Posey, Santana, Napoli, Posada, Montero, Soto, Wieters. To be honest the more I think about it the more comfortable I am with someone like Santana, Wieters or Soto this year.

Thanks for the help!

Cain Fan Sucks

Postby Cain Fan Sucks » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:49 pm

Cain Fan sucks. Throw him back for sure.

Return to “Baseball - Lineups, Waivers, Keepers”